German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I do herding with my male GSD and Eva tags along for socialization purposes and to get used to being crated in the car for when we start IPO. Today we decided to test her on sheep! There was absolutely no training going on here, I was only testing her instincts and drive which obviously are excellent! GSD's aren't usually tested this early, normally not until 6 months so I was surprised at how well she did and how fearless she was though I guess I shouldn't have been. :) She's going to be such a fun pup! Also it was raining pretty steadily so I apologize for all the water on the lens!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't sure what she'd think since so far she's showed no interest through the fence but I have a feeling now she will be paying a lot more attention to them lol. I'm not sure if I will be doing herding with her since she's supposed to be an IPO prospect and herding here is crazy expensive but we'll see maybe once I've got a few titles under Ollie's belt. :)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Attagirl! The place around here only allows instinct tests at 6 months. Wonder when her sister will be doing hers...

Nice to see her enjoying it.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Attagirl! The place around here only allows instinct tests at 6 months. Wonder when her sister will be doing hers...

Nice to see her enjoying it.
Yup that's the general rule but it helps I've been training awhile with my male and that my instructor knows me really well so I get away with some extra stuff. ;) I was dying of curiosity, I'm so happy she showed so much interest!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Nice - but disagree that GSD's are not tested until 6 months of age. Paisley and TJ were tested before that. By 6 months, Paisley was training regularly. It really depends on the dog, trainer, and your relationship with the trainer doesn't hurt. :)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know, that's why I said usually they're not tested until 6 months. :) If I could afford the almost $400 a month to train them both right now I'd love to but for right now I just had fun seeing if she had any interest.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I know what you wrote and I just think stating any breed usually starting herding at x months old is a bit misleading. There are so many factors that play into it that I don't think giving a "usual age to test" is accurate. And I wouldn't want someone reading this thread who might be new to the sport and see that and say "I can't start at all til 6 months."

And I certainly understand not being able to afford two dogs in multiple sports. We pick and choose as well depending on the dog.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was just going by the rules I've had to follow with the places I've been to... Both places the dogs had to be six months, that's been my experience no trying to mislead about anything. I guess I should just stick to photo threads.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Not sure why you would say that - not everyone has to have the same opinion. And I have never been anything but be supportive and try to be helpful to you in the past - including the recommendation for your current trainer. Just because I disagree with something and feel something was possibly misleading doesn't mean you should "stick to picture threads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts