German Shepherds Forum banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Re: PITIFUL NO NAME WGSD FEMALE - WARNER ROBBINS -

What we need is more GA. help, we can only do so much from so far away. This really hits home with me as the first two I helped were white sisters that were just like her. The shelter was close to me and I had the time to go each day and spend hours with them. The first few times I just sat in the kennel and talked to them. Little by little they started to trust me. They have a great home now, Henna is still a scared little girl but has great owners that understand. But all of this takes time that these dogs do not have in GA. I am so sorry your last few days were so bad and your life ended in such an awful way.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

If more Georgia help is needed, perhaps it would be a better idea to educate and build bonds, rather than bashing and blaming?

You can not save the dogs, without help from the people.
Mary

·
Registered
7,466 Posts

such wise words, mary.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

Originally Posted By: gagsd_pup1If more Georgia help is needed, perhaps it would be a better idea to educate and build bonds, rather than bashing and blaming?

You can not save the dogs, without help from the people.
Mary
Agreed. However, I may have missed where the evaler said I am not sure how do this - suggestions/help. I have had several people tell me I am not sure I to eval a GSD, can you give some ideas - what you are looking for.

I know GA is a very hard place for BrightStar to pull from - due to lack of trusted contacts for evals, pull/temp hold and transport help or that the trusted contacts are SO full from all the dogs that need help in GA.

Bottom line - this was a sad case and I know it happens. Shelters are overwhelmed, rescues are overwhelmed.. ideally it would be wonderful if there were wonderful, loving owners!

MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS THREAD TO THE PROPER PLACE SO THAT THE ONES THAT STILL NEED HELP CAN BE HELPED. THANKS.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

Most people who do not know how to eval..... don't know it.
That is why it is so important to support each other and help educate.
Mary

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

Quote: Sometimes it is the most pitiful dog at the shelter that gets out, just because it IS the most pitiful.
I have definitely found this to be true, but I'm not sure most shelters really understand that. They see friendly dogs or healthy dogs getting put down and they don't think the sick or the frightened have a chance because those are almost never the ones adopted locally in these rural areas. It can take a while or working a lot with rescues before they experience what we all have - that the injured dogs or the most pitiful sometimes get out alive when the healthy and friendly ones don't. Which is an odd thing when you stop and think about it, but I'm certainly guilty of it myself. Did I adopt one of the nice German Shepherds who was just looking for a home? No, my heart went out to the one huddled in a corner who went ballistic when I tried to talk to her. People are funny.

I didn't know this baby had a possible rescue to go to - did the shelter? Either way, that makes it doubly sad. But my guess is that whoever eval'd her, however carefully, she wasn't going to pass with flying colors, so depending on the deal breakers for the potential group it might not have made any difference.

Maybe I'm especially biased because of Grace, but I have found that many of the dogs who melt down the worst at shelters are also the most intelligent and interesting - if you can get them out and give them that chance. RIP sweet girl.

·
Banned
297 Posts

The more I go back and think about it the more I see the mistakes. It started with one and it lead to another to correct the first one. I didn't have a lot of time and rushed a dog that was obviously terrified.

I've worked with soooo many dogs at shelters...spending time with them, taking pictures and trying to get them more exposure. I had never seen a dog like this before. I've worked with fear biters and scared dogs before, but this was a whole new league.

Knowing that I was fully responsible for her death is a sadness that I cannot express. I've always been the type that wears my emotions on my sleeve, but I've never been so crushed. I love GSD's and want to save them all, but yesterday I made an error that cost a dog it's life. I just cannot tell you how that feels.

I wanted to come back on and tell everyone how sorry I am, but I doubt it will do any good. The damage is done and the dog is gone. I sent this same message to another forum member that asked me to stay hoping that he would post it, because I simply cannot face you guys in my shame.

If I am not welcomed back, I fully understand and I know I deserve every single comment that has been made. My heart has ached all day and I need some time away to collect myself. There's very few people down here doing this type of work in GA and I was trying to do the right thing...sometimes failue is a part of learning, but usually the consequence of failure is not so severe.

I am truely sorry and I would very much like to continue helping these dogs however I can, but some dogs, I now know, need to be left to more experienced people. I considered just staying away and hiding, but facing up to my mistakes seems like the right thing to do and I noticed two or three other GA dogs have been posted since I last posted.

Please don't kick me out of this wonderful community, but if you do I will accept my punishment with a gracious heart.

Thank you all for what you do.

·
Banned
297 Posts

Originally Posted By: pupresqHey great to see you back!!!

Stuff happens. Rescue is complicated. Sounds like you understand that.
Much more today, than I did yesterday.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

Well... when you originally posted about how it would all go, I was worried. I think several of us were. I know you've had those experiences like with your friend's sable where the dog was totally misunderstood, you got her out and she was fine, but often, particularly in rural shelters but really anywhere, it can be a lot more complicated than that.

However, we learn by doing.

And even if you're not the most experienced evaluator of fear aggressive dogs, that doesn't mean that taking pictures and getting the additional info as you've been doing, isn't incredibly helpful. Often one picture is the difference between life and death for a dog.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

I know you've probably been feeling under attack today and after getting so many "ra ras" for all your work both on this site and the other, that had to be kind of a shock to the system, but now that we've all taken a giant calming breath, do you feel comfortable talking some about what your experience has been? You say you've worked with lots of shelter dogs. Did you work at a shelter or maybe volunteer at one? That's how I got my start too.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts

Would it be possible for you to work with an experienced trainer? I think you would find that helpful to your perspective, probably much more than just reading on training methods, although that can be a big help too.

dd

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

The more I read the more I see the mistakes too, you must be heartbroken and I'm sorry you had to learn like this. But I have also seen the good you have done, I do believe you want to help these dogs, perhaps, I'm not sure who first suggested it, but perhaps it might be a good idea to start working more closely with a rescue organization.

We always think we know what we are doing.....until we dont, it takes a big person to admit that they were wrong, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts

BBZ-
Wonderful!!! I am so glad you are here. Believe me, we all make mistakes but as long as we move on and grow, we'll be okay.

I posted last year about some white GSDs (possibly high degree mixes) that were pretty much feral. The people who had trapped one of them we were never able to get in touch with. I just wonder if this was one of those dogs as they were out toward Warner Robbins.
Best of luck in the future.

Mary

·
Banned
297 Posts

Originally Posted By: pupresqI know you've probably been feeling under attack today and after getting so many "ra ras" for all your work both on this site and the other, that had to be kind of a shock to the system, but now that we've all taken a giant calming breath, do you feel comfortable talking some about what your experience has been? You say you've worked with lots of shelter dogs. Did you work at a shelter or maybe volunteer at one? That's how I got my start too.
I work 60-70 hour weeks so I do not have any time to spare. I also just bought a new house that I'm working on...it won't be finished until the end of March though.

As far as experience my family has had quite a few shelter/rescue dogs growing up. I've been going to the shelters to photograph dogs for more exposure as long as I can remember. I've pulled dogs out of kennels that would make the attendents cringe and after spending an hour or more with them, they're as pleasent and as happy as can be. I've assisted friends and referrals from friends in helping them solve various dog issues. Yesterday was a new type of dog I had never seen and I handled it completely wrong.

I came back so I could continue learning and helping these less fortunate dogs. Here's just a small handful of them...

You all know Bella now

And Buddy who I re-homed with a friend. He had random people aggression that I got sorted out before he left. I also had him fixed and vetted (all shots and hookwork treated) thankfully he was heartworm negitive.

Mark

Sargent

Lisa

Peaches

And there's many many more that I have deleted from my photobucket because they found homes.

I have e-mailed a couple of local Rescue's, but never get any responce back...now I feel that it will be impossible for me to work with any of them after yesterday and it's heartbreaking for me. This is what I love.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts

blackbirdzach - even though I am being very vocal about this entire thread for many reasons - you were not fully responsible for her death.

I will PM you off thread to give you examples of a few reputable rescues that you may wish to contact.

·
Banned
297 Posts

Originally Posted By: Darcy1blackbirdzach - even though I am being very vocal about this entire thread for many reasons - you were not fully responsible for her death.
Yeah, I know...but if I had been able to bring her out of her shell, maybe there's a chance someone would have taken her. I may not be 100% responsible, but the majority of the blame does fall on my shoulders.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Originally Posted By: blackbirdzachYeah, I know...but if I had been able to bring her out of her shell, maybe there's a chance someone would have taken her. I may not be 100% responsible, but the majority of the blame does fall on my shoulders.
I'm not even sure if that's true. Given how fearful this girl was in her pen, it's unlikely that an established 'been there done that' rescue would of been able to take her. Some dogs only have a chance if an angel finds them and takes a chance by adopting them.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope that people will be forgiving and show as much compassion for humanity as they do for our non-human friends.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts

I wouldn't say that. Like I said, she was unlikely to pass any temp test.

I think the larger issue is having a more formalized system for helping. Rescues on here get worked up about people doing this kind of work on their own NOT because we don't see the need for more help, more dedicated people, and more dogs saved, and NOT because we're territorial or "fear aggressive" as the folks on the other thread said. We do it because we've seen over and over the things that can go wrong. We've seen well meaning people place dogs in terrible situations without ever knowing it. Seen dogs sent to awful rescues where they're far worse off than if they'd stayed at the shelter, adoptive homes where they're bred, neglected, abused or maybe all three. We've seen the dogs suffer when each new person learns the hard way and we don't want that to happen. We want to help newer rescuers learn from OUR mistakes so that the dogs win in the end.

It sounds like many of the homes you've found have been with people that you know. I think most of us started like that. But eventually you saturate that market (and people stop returning your calls for some reason
) and when you're looking for homes for dogs you have GOT to have a really strong screening procedure. Not all adopters are good. Not all rescues are good.

When people ask for credentials, it can feel funny at first, but that's actually a good sign. It means they know what's up and take dog safety seriously.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts