German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I have a 20 months old German Shepherd. I've been feeding Alpina Royal Canin since she was born. Few months ago, her vet recommended Eukanuba suggesting that its better than Royal Canin. I took by his advice and started feeding her Eukanuba for Large breeds Adults.
Just few days ago I discovered that Eukanuba have specific breed formula and they have a specific German shepherd food. Now should i stop feeding her the large breed adult immediately ? OR its ok if she finishes the rest of it ?
I am planning to change to Brand specific formula. But I am not sure of the difference between both.

·
5,627 Posts
Breed specific formulas are a scam.

Ingredients for LB Adult
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salt, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Flax Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Fructooligosaccharides, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, Brewers Dried Yeast, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
Ingredients for GSD
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Brewers Rice, Fish Meal, Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Flax Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Fructooligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), DL-Methionine, Dried Chicken Cartilage (Natural source of Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine), Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
As you can see, there isn't much difference between the two forumlas. That said, Eukanuba is not a very good quality food. You could do much better for the price you are paying for Eukanuba. There are lots of threads on here about what makes a good food and what people recommend.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
My veterinarian is the very last person I would trust to recommend a quality food, and I would say the same about your vet, considering the ingredients in Eukanuba, both the Large Breed and German Shepherd formulas. The Royal Canin isn't any better or worse than the Eukanuba, but they're both low-quality foods (and pretty expensive for what you are getting).

If you want a decent, cheap food, Costco's Kirkland brand is better than both the foods you've previously fed and a lot cheaper per bag.

If you want to go to a good quality food, I would start looking at grain free foods. The most inexpensive of those is Taste of the Wild, which comes in several different formulas and is not a lot more expensive than Eukanuba is. I've had good results with the fish formula Taste of the Wild, called Pacific Stream, and my dogs have done better on that than some of the more expensive grain free foods such as Orijen.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
As said above, neither are considered "good" foods and there isn't much difference in quality and ingredients.

Depending on your price range, there are literally dozens of foods that are better than what you are feeding now for the same price or less.

Grain free is the best, but even then feeding something like Innova or Wellness complete would be a huge step up.

dogfoodanalysis.com is a good site to check out to get a feel as to what foods are better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I currently feed Innova Large Breed Puppy and need to transition off of it. What is a good brand to go with besides Innova.

Your opinons?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts