German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a million of opinions on this one, but I am confused and I need to ask.

Some vets have 3 sets of shots, others 4.

Our first set was with the breeder and I am not sure what it was, looks like stickers to me with numbers =)

Second set, I should of asked, but now I see that Zeus got a huge 2 combo shots with bordatella etc... (probably everything you can think of)

I want to ask my vet for a limited shots next time and I don't need bordatella... if they only do combo, I would like to go to a local shot clinic, or Petco vaccine day? what do you guys think? Plus this would save me so much money as I already had a rough and very expensive start with Zeus. I really want to save up for the pexy and possible foot surgery.

What shots would I need for the 3rd set?

What shots are on 4th set besides rabies?

Any feedback would be so greatly appreciated, I did search the forum, I don't think that I found a post that I was looking for.

Thank you =)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
While available, very few vets are going to stock distemper and parvo vaccines separately. The DHPP is about as simple as most vets seem to have.

That said, the "H" for hepatitis, which is immunized for with the CAV-2 immunization may be worth considering per a more recent edition of the Whole Dog Journal, because it is making a comeback in Mexico and the Northeastern US.

I think Dodds is ideal but then I would add CAV-2 (which is in most intranasal kennel cough vaccines anyway) but you will probably need to find a holistic vet to use that routine. I think more important is challenging the "every 3 year" mentality for viral vaccines.

If you are taking puppy classes you may not be able to get out of the kennel cough vaccine.

Basically, any viral vaccine takes TWO doses given to a mature immune system to confer immunity. The reason more than two are given to puppies is the system is not mature until the maternal antibodies wear off.

I would demand to give the rabies with absolutely no other vaccine within 3 weeks in either direction.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is perfect!

What is MLV?

Ok so next set all i really need is Distemper + Parvovirus
and the last set, really just rabies?

If this is it, I am going to a shot clinic! will save over $100 too!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the rabies idea to do it on it own. =) I will look as soon as I get home to see what exactly he was vaccinated for and post the numbers here to hopefully get an answer =) or i guess I can call the clinic, but you guys are way more fun to talk to!

as for puppy classes they wanted to see second shots to start , i wonder if they need same proof for later on classes

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I doubt you will find anything but a 5 way or 7 way combo at a shot clinic. I was surprised to find some that still contain adenovirus 1, I thought that was a 'no no'

What age was the puppy when the vet gave the shots?

MLV=modified live virus.

Dodds believes that combo vaccinations cause immunosuppresion ........ many of us think she is on target but she is not mainstream. This is mainstream and may give you info to help educate and inform. The link below is the AAHA stance (notice how even they acknowledge that the vaccines are probably good for life). Read the AAHA peice it really has a lot of background information.

https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/CanineVaccineGuidelines.pdf

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I like the idea of getting a distemper/parvo but the fine print is you have to agree to spay and neuter to get the low prices or pay a surcharge...then it says puppies exempt I am not sure what all that means....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you show proof of appointment or if you are going to do it they will not charge extra. Like if it is a breeders dog, than no go. We told them we have to wait so we can do pexy at the same time with a specialty vet and they will not make us pay more since we kinda know what we are talking about/ have plans to neuter at a later date.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got titers on Dexter after 3 shots. 2 DA2PPC combo shots and his rabies vaccine. The vet told me that he would need at least a third combo vaccine, but his titers came back "very high", so he doesn't need any boosters at this point. This has taught me to titer before he gets any future vaccines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts