German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to post this, and not sure where to look on this site to see if the topic has been covered, but a question popped to mind this morning and I searched for a place where folks might know an answer!

Two guys here are working on tracking titles for their dogs and they keep coming home with ticks on them. I made up an essential oil spray that I use for the dogs here in the yard and I'm getting some pushback (maybe the scent will interfere with the tracking?).

The one is already SCH3 and a tracking machine, so not so worried about him. The mixture isn't that strong-smelling. Just a bug deterrent. The one going for her first title... yeh, I can see where that might be an issue, but the essential oils for sure aren't overpowering the scent of the food she'll be tracking.

The one guy says he uses flea collars around his ankles... to me, those things really stink! Much stronger than the oil, but they woulnd't be on the dog, either.

If I can at least get my man to put it on his ankles, maybe I can get to the point where he doesn't have to strip on the front porch and scare the neighbors when he comes home ;) :shocked:

Anyone have experience with this? (The essential oils, that is)

jayne

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am making up some for myself and the odor of old bones is a LOT less than food or of crushed vegetation, but I have used all kinds of different bug sprays before with no issues. Quite a few of them have "odors"

The dog has an uncanny ability to pick out the odor of what it is looking for from a matrix of many odors. Many times people have tried to foil detection dogs by masking the target odor directily with strong other odors. Even hiding things in the gas tank nozzle thingie so the dog is getting snoot full of gasoline fumes.

The analogy they gave us in many SAR classes was...YOU smell vegetable soup, the dog smells carrots, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, etc.

So I don't think it will make one hoot of a bit of difference.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Honestly though for the HUMAN. I have "odorless" permetrhin spray for the CLOTHES
NOT FOR SKIN CONTACT.

I use the sawyer product...I just do the surface spray because I figure if I wash the clothes in it, permethrin would still be coming in touch with my skin.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
The only problem would be if the dogs are going to do Nosework, make sure you don't use those oils as part of the tick repellent.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The dog has an uncanny ability to pick out the odor of what it is looking for from a matrix of many odors. Many times people have tried to foil detection dogs by masking the target odor directily with strong other odors. Even hiding things in the gas tank nozzle thingie so the dog is getting snoot full of gasoline fumes.
There is an AWESOME Mythbusters episode on this. Totally worth the $1.99 rental on Amazon. Most people (I assume) don't get the experience of seeing these dogs work in person. Getting to watch the Mythbusters attempt to foil the dogs (unsuccessfully) was beyond entertaining. You keep saying to yourself with every test they do: "No. Freakin'. Way. --Amazing."

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hair-of-the-Dog/dp/B0046BE712[/ame]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the essential oils are in the water diluted as part of a tick/flea repellent spray. Ideally sprayed on the legs/ankles/boots of the men and the underbelly, sides, tails, legs of the dogs.

And yes, the dogs will be doing nosework. One just starting to track bits of food in the grass. The other is beginning his work on his advanced tracking title. They put him through a standard SCH3 course last week so that his handler could get a feel for him and they're going to have an aged course for him this week. 3 hours, I think?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Makes sense not to use the same oils :) as in nosework.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... now I get you... You're saying that you can use oils as part of nosework, but make sure they're not the same oils as in the flea spray.

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
I try not to spray my dog before I track him(I have an essential oil spray too) I'm using bug off garlic this year for the first time, and so far/knock on wood!, I haven't found any ticks on the dogs. It has been really dry for the past couple weeks tracking. From flooding to bone dry, Mother nature is irritable.

My DH has been turkey hunting and the ticks are really heavy.
He needs some garlic too or essential oil spray!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Ok... now I get you... You're saying that you can use oils as part of nosework, but make sure they're not the same oils as in the flea spray.
It's not that you CAN use essential oils in nosework, you DO. Birch/sweet birch, anise, and clove, for example, are trial odors and also essential oils. Not sure what ones the UKC program is using or if C-WAGS are different too. I don't know many SchH people that do nosework (I do) but it is getting more popular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts