German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting with a trainer for Rocky next weekend and he wants us to get a 15 foot long line. I have had one before that gave me rope burns that hurt like the devil, can anyone recommend one that is easier on your hands? Also, he wants us to get a slip chain for the dog to wear alone (not with a backup.). Is there much chance of a dog being able to get their head out of it?

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
I would get a 15 foot thin leather with no handle.That works for obedience,tracking and protection for me, it hasn't burned my hands, though I have had it wrap around my foot from time to time. Depends on what training you are going to do?

As far as a 'slip' chain collar, if it is on the live ring it will tighten around the dogs neck, so no chance of getting out of it. I use fursaver and either link it back to tighten or keep it on the dead ring. It is not a correction collar though. I would rather use a prong if I want to correct. I am not a fan of the slip(choke) collar whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I second the recommendation for the thin leather line. You can order any length you want from Alpha 1, and you can customize if you want a handle or not. I have a 6 ft, a 10 ft and a 17 ft line from them, and I love them. Great quality.

15 Ft. Black Long Leather Leash

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
People who use ropes temporarily could just use gloves.

Reactions: MineAreWorkingline

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have limited grip in both hands..not so good with a huge puppy I want to try to work in IPO..I have used a nice heavy cotton webbing lunge line from my late horse..tubular nylon which I made myself decades ago when I found it cheap on ebay. I just got a 15' knubby biothane line from All K-9 (military veteran owned and has never charged me shipping) as I have the 6' and 12" tabs that I love. I was afraid it would not slip through my hands like I wanted for tracking my pup. It works great. I most likely will be getting the 33 ft one next. I have 2 really nice stitched and riveted tracking lines from Leerburg. From reading about biothane, you don't want it just riveted. They can pull out easier. And there are different biothanes and most of the newer ones are softer and don't get as slippery. But the knubby one is super flexible and I can grip it easily

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
1" tubular nylon
Nylon Long Lines - 1" wide ? High In Trial Canine Equipment

I use these for everything. Protection, tracking (training, not a trial tracking line), walks. never burned my hands. And you can throw them in the washer.
Those are really nice long lines, similar to what I use. What is really important is a good brass snap like the one pictured on these long lines. A cheap snap will fail or break easily under pressure. I had a dog aggressive GSD pull so hard on a leather leash that he broke the snap and got loose to go after another dog. A 1" nylon long line kept in good shape will last years and many dogs. A cheap snap on a cheap leash or long line will break or fail long before the leash does.

I never wear gloves when working my dogs on a long line in building searches, tracking or protection work. Unless, it is really cold outside. I never get "rope burns" from a nylon long line and the line will zip through my hands at times. I work with guys who wear gloves while tracking or building clearing with long lines. Some leads like the Bitothane or the "gripper" type with rubber added to the leash will tear your hands up, IMHO. I own several of those and will not use them. I like the feel of the leash in my hand, I move up and down the leash while tracking and I use some finesse when handling my dog. I communicate subtly at times through the leash. Maybe, it's just years of working dogs on 30' nylon long lines that I can control the leash with out getting my hands torn up, even when stopping a dog running full speed and the leash peeling through my hands.

Reactions: Jax08
1 - 11 of 11 Posts