German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday and today, my 9 month old female has had a few episodes of displaying intense frightened behavior. This is not normal behavior for her. She suddenly breaks into a frantic run around the house knocking over chairs, yelping and whimpering. Her mouth gets frothy and her bowels let go. She runs around like this until she finds a hiding spot. I've learned to open the hall closet because that is a place she will stop and calm down a bit. After these episodes she is on edge for hours. I'm not sure if this is behavioral or if there is an underlying health problem. I have not been able to associate it with any stimulus. Her normal fear response is barking and backing away slowly, so this is quite different and scary. If anyone has any thoughts or advice, please comment. Thank you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: It was suggested to me that this may be seizures. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow. She had another episode yesterday.

·
Registered
32,021 Posts
A seizure was my first thought. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Please update the post with what you learn at the vet. Good luck

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
She could be having some sort of focal siezure. My female has had full blown grand mal siezures since 11/05. After a seizure they become disoriented, loss of vision. Kiya will pace, bump into things, so I don't let her wonder about. It takes about an hour for her to come back. I hope everything is alright with your girl.
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/index.html

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I had a gsd that developed a seizure disorder when she was 11- she would look up at the sky, didn't seem to recognize me, was very fearful, all she wanted to do was lay in the laundry room. We tried medications but nothing seemed to help, the vet thought she might be having strokes as well. Sounds as though your girl might be having seizures, hope the vet can help. Poor thing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vet agreed that these were seizure-like episodes but not typical presentation. She thought the most likely explanation was consumption of a toxin like from mushrooms, but the blood work was clear of any detectable toxins and there was no evidence of liver damage. Anyhow, it's been a week now and no more seizure-like events so hopefully it was some sort of toxic substance that cleared her body.

I think this is unrelated... but she seems sick today. Last night and today she has become increasing tired, is not playful, and sleeps a lot. She seems a little warm too. She is drinking a lot and urinating a lot, and has had some accidents in the house. I think she may have a UTI so I called the vet and they said I should bring in a urine sample. We won't know the results until tomorrow so no treatment yet. I wish I could do something for her in the meantime.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
So sorry you are going through this....
Why do you have to wait until tomorrow to see if there is bacteria present in her urine?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know why we have to wait overnight for the test results. The receptionist just said they'd have the results tomorrow. Either that's how long the test takes, or they're closing for the evening and will follow up with this tomorrow. I wish vets were more like pediatricians... a good doctor wouldn't let a child suffer and get worse overnight. They'd start treating based on symptoms and test to confirm. Poor doggie :(

I heard that cranberry juice or cider vinegar can help clear UTIs in people since it changes on the pH of urine enough that some bacteria can't survive. I don't know how this would work on a dog and how much to give. So I'd rather not risk doing more harm unless I come across some more info.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Organic undistilled apple cider vinegar added to the water is good for them. Don't think it would help in this case so quickly. Hang in there.....

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Hoping for your baby to get better. I hate it when they are sick, keep us posted.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
If you have some vitamin C in the house, give 500mg tonight. C helps raise the acid in the bladder so it will help fight the infection. It won't hurt, either if the dog doesn't have a UTI, You can give up to 2000mg a day but up the dosage slowly over a weeks time, and split the daily dose between meals. I give C daily to my dogs.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You might try some vitamin c if you have any around the house. I saw that suggestion in another thread and I swear it headed of a UTI for Shasta.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We got the results of the urine test and Shya doesn't have an infection, but does have glucose in her urine. So off to the vet now for another blood test and exam, this time with diabetes in mind :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Shya's blood sugar levels are dangerously high. She has to stay at the vet today so they can monitor her. She lost 6 lbs since we took her there last week with seizures. When we go back to get her at 5:00 we will meet with the doctor about how to manage diabetes. I'm very nervous, I hope she's ok.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow! That's unexpected, but at least there is a black and white answer for both the seizure and the urination issues. Diabetes is scary, but at least it is easily manageable, and you don't have to give medications with serious side effects. I've known a few older dogs on insulin, and none of them minded the shots at all. (Dogs with diabetes are much easier to handle than kids, since you can actually control what they eat!). There will be some major information overload when you go to the vet, so write everything down, and make sure you write down questions when you think of them, both before the appointment and after, so that you can ask the vet - no one ever remembers when they get into the exam room.

Hope your baby is feeling better when you pick her up, and all the best with learning her treatments. You CAN do this, and give her a great, normal life! Keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Agree with liv....

Just be sure to write it all down and try not to get too overwhelmed. Many dogs and cats live long healthy lives with diabetes or insulin related issues!
Like liv said it's so much easier because you control the amount and what they eat. That's half the battle!

I am so glad you got to the bottom of it and can now focus on the future!

·
5,627 Posts
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis but like others said, it should be easily managed.

Maybe you should start a new thread in the health section to get some attention from the health experts that might not read this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts