German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend my husband and I went to the local park w/trails.

There were two young men there, strong and rough looking, with a GSD, pulling so strongly, the guy had a had time controlling him.

The sad thing is that this guy didn't even think there was something wrong in this picture. I think he just thought this is what GSDs do...

I felt so sorry for the beautiful dog and everything that he was missing out on as his owner wasn't his leader... Also very scary for everyone else..

Do you see a lot of that going on around? Where you able to help any of these owners?

Tanya

·
Registered
228 Posts
Luckily nothing like this with GSD's in my neighborhood. i was on my way to the store on Friday. And there was actually a guy walking his GSD offleash.

I personally think that would be a difficult approach. If you were trying to help the situation. I would start small talk about the dog; name, age, breeder, HAS HE BEEN TO CLASSES!

Like you say, an uncontrolled dog, is a danger to the handler, the dog, and the people around it.

The unfortunate thing is that you said they were too young men. And I remember the days when i was young, and wouldn't listen.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
In my experience I've seen a lot of GSD's that pull. They're a strong breed. My girl pulls me. I've been to classes with her and I'm currently trying to get her to walk nicely, but it does take time, it's not just gonna happen overnight.

Maybe, the dog you saw hadn't had training.. But you don't actually know the circumstances. It's certainly something that should be fixed, otherwise it really is unfair on the dog.

I dunno.. I hope this post didn't come across as nasty.. It just upset me a little personally because I don't want people to think that I'm a bad owner because my dog pulls. I am trying to fix the problem.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
some times Brady will try and pull me and I just reverse the direction (w/correction) and we start training 101 then turn around.
Sorry I am in control not him.

There are times when I just let him lead and pull a little. If its alot I repeat but usually he is good.

I woul dhave to say that person had not had any training. IMHO

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I don't see it here. People take their pets to school and dogs behave. If they have a dog that doesn't behave you don't see it off their private property.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I coming to Germany
You should see the dogs that will charge Brady when I am walking him and they are LITTLE blows my mind

·
Registered
648 Posts
I see that all the time. I can't believe people are willing to put up with such pulling and lack of control when walking a dog. I don't get in anyone's face about their unruly dogs. People get too offended when told their dog can walk calmly at their side, if they would like me to show them how. Even when I tell them I am a dog trainer. Especially the people that humanize their dogs and take it to mean they are bad "parents".

I have had other dog owners stop me and ask me how I got my dog to walk next to me without pulling at all.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for chiming in on this!

Kim_Becile, please don't be afraid of offending! You didn't!

What struck me about the situation is the complete ignorance of the dog owner...

I do have a lot of sympathy for him! Only a short number of months, I had no idea about crating, etc. and my standards of what's acceptable and not have changed dramatically since I started doing all the reading...

Once we decided to get the puppy, I started doing the reading and research and discovered a whole new world!

Eternally grateful to all for sharing and correcting and instructing all the new or to be owners..

But had I not the habit of going about it this way, how would I have known?

I think it's in general it's not something that is engrained in people, for instance, you are getting a dog, you need to learn how to handle it... People think their only obligation is to love the dog and provide for it ... They think dogs are like babies in the physical sense, but not in the sense of providing them with the training like you would a child...

Tanya

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Well, I'm a bad dog owner.
Balto was a big puller like that, but it was because I rarely used a leash with him. My dogs did a lot of running off leash in fields and when I had to put the leash on he could knock me off my feet.

Two months ago at 1 year old, Balto started his formal obedience training. He doesn't pull on the leash anymore.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I see a lot of it, usually with young guys being walked by tough looking bully breeds. They must like the look of the dog and feel cool about it but it's doing the dog a total disservice. At least the dog is getting some exercise.

We have a lot of shepherds in my area. There's only one I can think of that doesn't walk nicely and barks at other dogs walking. She's 2 or 3 and her owner does try to control her, she's just a wild thing!

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: Kim_BecileIn my experience I've seen a lot of GSD's that pull. They're a strong breed. My girl pulls me. I've been to classes with her and I'm currently trying to get her to walk nicely, but it does take time, it's not just gonna happen overnight.

Maybe, the dog you saw hadn't had training.. But you don't actually know the circumstances. It's certainly something that should be fixed, otherwise it really is unfair on the dog.

I dunno.. I hope this post didn't come across as nasty.. It just upset me a little personally because I don't want people to think that I'm a bad owner because my dog pulls. I am trying to fix the problem.
Yeah that's what I got out of it too. People are too quick to judge. How do we know the fellow didn't just adopt the dog for example?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDad
Originally Posted By: Kim_BecileIn my experience I've seen a lot of GSD's that pull. They're a strong breed. My girl pulls me. I've been to classes with her and I'm currently trying to get her to walk nicely, but it does take time, it's not just gonna happen overnight.

Yeah that's what I got out of it too. People are too quick to judge. How do we know the fellow didn't just adopt the dog for example?
When I am in a park/open area with my dogs (or not) I am going to make a quick "assessment" of the other dogs/handlers/humans before I allow either side to approach. And I think there are many here who do the same. I do not consider this moment an "until proven guilty" moment. It is an assess and render judgement moment. Do I allow closeness or greetings or head off in another direction ( or stand ground and wait for them to pass)?

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: Everett54
Originally Posted By: GSDad

When I am in a park/open area with my dogs (or not) I am going to make a quick "assessment" of the other dogs/handlers/humans before I allow either side to approach. And I think there are many here who do the same. I do not consider this moment an "until proven guilty" moment. It is an assess and render judgement moment. Do I allow closeness or greetings or head off in another direction ( or stand ground and wait for them to pass)?
Trust me after being a dog trainer for decades I assess dogs too, however that is not what was said. What was said was that the owner was "not a leader" and implied they were negligent in their care of the dog. Sorry, but nobody has the right to make that kind of an "assessment" merely in passing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
GSDs are "pullers." I think that should be included in the breed standard. My husband and I fought for months trying to get our dog to walk properly. One day, she decided she wanted to say hello to a dog across the street and pulled my husband halfway into the street before he was able to stop her. That was the day we went out and got a pinch collar, and we've enjoyed nice walks ever since.

And I'm not talking about using a pinch collar in lieu of training. My dog was one of those that was taking a long time to catch on that we're the ones in charge. Seems like a little pain goes a long way.

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Too bad there isn't a business card to this great site to hand out when we see this type of situation. Someone would probably hand one to me if they saw me and my dogs!
If I walk my dogs together, they pull at the beginning. I have them both on a no-slip collar. I stop them, sit them and we begin again, they still pull from excitement. After a few mins. they usually slow down and just walk. One walking with me at a time, they are fine, heeling. Onyx does show reactions to some dogs while walking and we are working on this. Control Unleashed class is helping!
I won't use a prong on Onyx anymore due to her fear aggression, and the gentle leader is hard on her nose. Harness seems to twist(front clasp) so far I like the no slips til we can move to a flat buckle...always a work in progress.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally Posted By: LvmyGSDGSDs are "pullers." I think that should be included in the breed standard.
Have you ever owned another breed? GSD's are not "pullers". They are a breed that needs to have an owner that will have control and set limits on behavior. Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are "pullers".

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
when the dogs pulling the owner, the dog is in charge not the owner

G

·
0 Posts
Of course having your GSD walk calmly at your side is what we train for. However, I don't believe anyone is qualified to see somebody with a GSD who's pulling and decide there and then that the owner is "not a leader" and "the dog is in control". As I said, maybe he just got the dog from a shelter and he's taking the dog out FOR training. You don't know and can't know just from seeing somebody walk by.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts