German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3-year-old German Shepherd-Husky mix who was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 1. It wasn’t until he turned 2 that the vet prescribed medication (Phenobarbital). Since then, his appetite has increased and he’s gained a significant amount of weight within the past year. I found out that this was partly due to my older brother giving him extra portions outside of his feeding schedule. Since moving back home, I’ve managed to drop his weight by a couple of pounds but nowhere near his original weight.

I was hoping you’d be able to tell me if I’m feeding him too much, not providing enough exercise, feeding him too little, or if it’s normal to fluctuate cause of his age/meds? Also, are there any low-calorie foods I should incorporate to his diet that would help satiate the hunger caused by his medicine without significant weight increase? We visited the vet about two months ago and his routine blood work came back normal. I don’t expect him to reach his normal weight but would love to get him somewhere in the mid-70s to early 80s. I’m just concerned that this fluctuation in weight isn’t good for him or that he’s not getting the proper nutrients in his diet.

Feeding: 2 1/3 cups (1 morning, 1/3 afternoon, 1 night)
+ Taste of the Wild
Exercise: 2 walks a day and a fun activity (frisbee, fetch, etc.)

Weight:
86 lbs—current weight
92 lbs (02/2019)
73 lbs (06/2018)— original weight

1 - 1 of 1 Posts