German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can dogs develop EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) at one year of age...?

What types of symptoms (besides the obvious malnourished looking dog and diarrhea) should one see?

Im worried. :(

·
Registered
32,023 Posts
Yes they can at any age.

If your dog has a large appetite, but cannot keep weight on,
Stools will usually be yellowish mushy cow patty types -- many
Dog will lose weight and muscle tone, immune function will follow and organ failure can happen.

Other things can cause the symptoms though. A bad infestation of worms, over-eating of some kibbles can cause loose stool that will cause less nutrients to get into the dog. And other issues.

What you need to do is set up bloodwork for your dog. The EPI blood test requires the dog to be fasted for 12 hours.

If the dog has EPI, then by adding enzymes to their kibble and letting it sit for about 20 minutes, before feeding will take care of the issue. The enzymes are forever though, so it is kind of like needing to have a supplement for life. Other problems often coexist with EPI, like a lack of B12 and SIBO, so complete bloodwork is necessary, and working with a vet on it is essential.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yep...Nikki had just turned one year old when her symptoms started :(

She started with the diarrhea about three times a day at first and then it became more frequent were she couldn't even hold it through the night. Then about a week later she started to loose weight and muscle tone. She was very hungry and even tried to eat her own poop which she had never done before.

I sure hope it's not EPI...have you looked around the EPI website: Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Michaela

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Selzer and Michaela. I have been reading that site. I feel a bit better, his diarrhea is not frequent, and his appetite is actually not that great compared to how it used to be. He has lost a little bit of weight, but its probably from the 3 weeks of loose stools/diarrhea. His stools are rancid smelling (worse than a normal poop smell i guess) and yellowish/orangish/tannish? I was treating a Giardia infection with metro for 10 days, but the loose stools never got better...he's on a second round now, plus Diphenoxylate/Atropine for the diarrhea (which isnt helping so...:confused:)

And not sure if this is related or not - just noticed while combing his undercoat out today he has tons of white flakes and a oily coat. This started very recently, within the last week. He has been supplemented with Salmon/coconut oil for the past few months..

And he has a HUGE (i believe) hot spot in his arm pit.

Poor guy. :(

·
Super Moderator
32,553 Posts
He could also have SIBO without having EPI - that's what Keef had. His was probably due to the giardia he also had, and once treated for both he was perfectly fine. Other dogs have a chronic case of SIBO that can require special food and/or meds long term.

If you're going to have him tested, do both at the same time. Be sure and fast him for at least 12 hours before the blood draw, for accurate results.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Has your vet tried Tylan powder yet for the diarrhea? Nikki has SIBO also and is on Tylan for maintenance. It worked for her within a couple of days.

I hope you can get it figured out soon and it's not EPI. I hate it when they are sick :(

Michaela :hug:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Does he eat kibble? Could you have gotten an off bag? Have you tried homecooked chicken and rice for 1 week to see does that resolve the stool issue? If not I would try that, I figure the daily calories needed based on whatever you are currently feeding then do 2/3 calories from rice and 1/3 calories from chicken for 1 week. Then slowly reintroduce current diet, maybe 1/4 of calories, then 1/2 then 3/4 until you are 100% back to current food.

With the hot spot and white flakes- could be allergies to fleas, environment or food or could be just from hot humid wet weather (not sure about your weather but thats been ours). Comfortis works wonders for Penny who has flea allergy. On the white flakes and oil- most likely seborrhea which is usually secondary to a primary cause- for Penny she would get it in response to a flair up caused by a flea bite. I would use a medicated shampoo for the seborrhea- they work great!

If the digestive issues continue once back on whatever you are feeding combined with the coat/skin issues- maybe he's just not tolerating that food well anymore.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
As the owner of an adult and rescued GSD with weight and stool challenges, I can tell you that the diagnosis of SIBO was a relief and the Tylan powder was a Godsend. It is bitter, so be prepared to put it in something that the dog will inhale without tasting. I had to put the Tylan for Max in empty gelatin capsules and then he took them in a ball of canned dog food. He also ate better with a raw turkey neck on his kibble with each meal.

The food that I used was Purina Pro Plan's Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. It is salmon, oatmeal and rice primarily. Lots of people like to bash Purina, but this food is high in calories and my boy's coat and weight were never better and we tried many different foods trying to help him put on weight and then maintain it.

Please let me know if I can help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
He could also have SIBO without having EPI - that's what Keef had. His was probably due to the giardia he also had, and once treated for both he was perfectly fine. Other dogs have a chronic case of SIBO that can require special food and/or meds long term.

If you're going to have him tested, do both at the same time. Be sure and fast him for at least 12 hours before the blood draw, for accurate results.
After reading your posts, SIBO was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Our GSD pup had chronic diarrhea from 3 - 10 months of age. We did numerous fecal tests and I broke down and tested for EPI last August. My vet said EPI results were normal, but the lovely folks over at the forum on Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency pointed out that his Folate level was on the high side and to talk about my vet about SIBO and getting the antibiotic Tylan.

Our vet agreed to try Tylan and there was a noticeable improvement in 24 hours and he had no more diarrhea after 4 days on Tylan. He was kept on Tylan for 2 months (slowly weaned off of it) and remained stable.

We now feed him homemade dog food because he never did well on a commercial dog food. I think we had one small recurrence of SIBO a few months ago, but I nipped it in the bud and treated with Tylan again for about 2 weeks. It is supposed to be an antibiotic that is safe to use for a longer term.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I am definitely thinking he doesnt have EPI. I do know, he has some sort of food intolerance/allergy though. He has an overabundance of yeast all over him...in his ears, paws, the hot spots, the pyodermas...So I have decided to attempt a potato free, LID food. I have noticed that all his other kibbles had potato (and we've been battling yeasty ears forever) and the reason for this flare up could be because he was on raw for the past few months, and now is back to kibble. I am trying out Zignature...so hope it helps. As for his stools, he is only producing one, MAYBE two bowel movements a day. This morning is was alot of poop, but not diarrhea (log shaped mush) so I dunno. Hoping the food change helps that too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
As the owner of an adult and rescued GSD with weight and stool challenges, I can tell you that the diagnosis of SIBO was a relief and the Tylan powder was a Godsend. It is bitter, so be prepared to put it in something that the dog will inhale without tasting. I had to put the Tylan for Max in empty gelatin capsules and then he took them in a ball of canned dog food. He also ate better with a raw turkey neck on his kibble with each meal.

The food that I used was Purina Pro Plan's Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. It is salmon, oatmeal and rice primarily. Lots of people like to bash Purina, but this food is high in calories and my boy's coat and weight were never better and we tried many different foods trying to help him put on weight and then maintain it.

Please let me know if I can help.
I have actually used that same purina food with really good results and my dog didn't smell like fish either.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Do you have a thread going on his yeast/food issues or is this it? I have had success with fighting a very bad systemic yeast infection in an 8yo mutt. She was on steroids, medicated shampoo, etc. for years and was just getting worse and worse. I took her off of all of her medications and used holistic supplements and some different sprays. IT worked. She is now almost 11, has a beautiful coat and is healthier than she's ever been.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Bowwow I haven't made one yet - but am going to when I get home. I'm actually picking up some ACV right now cause I am going the natural/holistic way with this. So I am very curious on what you did! Going to give coconut oil too

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wanted to update this thread since I got berlins blood results back. He is NOT an EPI dog! Folate and b12 levels also are perfectly normal. What a relief!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
So I am definitely thinking he doesnt have EPI. I do know, he has some sort of food intolerance/allergy though. He has an overabundance of yeast all over him...in his ears, paws, the hot spots, the pyodermas...So I have decided to attempt a potato free, LID food. I have noticed that all his other kibbles had potato (and we've been battling yeasty ears forever) and the reason for this flare up could be because he was on raw for the past few months, and now is back to kibble. I am trying out Zignature...so hope it helps. As for his stools, he is only producing one, MAYBE two bowel movements a day. This morning is was alot of poop, but not diarrhea (log shaped mush) so I dunno. Hoping the food change helps that too.
SO glad it's not EPI! I too had an epi dog that was near death at the age of 2 and I abandoned western medicine for the holistic approach + raw food. She lived until her 12 birthday! :)

Is it possible for you to go back to raw???? A limited diet with ingredients that you put together and then begin to add other ingredients over time would be the way I would go.

Zignature is a plant based food with only a moderate amount of meat/fish protein. Their formulas range from 28% to 31% protein which is mostly attained from the vegetable protein of peas and chickpeas. IMHO, vegetable protein is not the type of protein a dogs’ body requires since they are carnivores. Are any of these ingredients Genetically Modified products making this product more cost effective for the company??? Don’t know. That being said, the pea and chickpea ingredient that they use does have a low glycemic index, which is better for a dog than corn or rice.
A Canadian study on Legumes in pet food was suppose to start at the begging of this year, but I don’t know if did. They stated: “All legumes contain various chemical compounds never before fed in huge amounts to pets.”

Would you consider the saliva testing by Dr. Jean Dodds to pinpoint his sensitivities?
Here are some specifics of the test:
NutriScan
This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods. Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet.Dr. Jean Dodds, NutriScan tests for the twenty most commonly ingested foods by dogs to provide you with specific results as to your dog's food intolerances or sensitivities. Since it is a salivary test, you have the convenience to complete the test at home or at your veterinarian’s office. Best of all, you can have the results in approximately two weeks to help you put your dog on the right diet.
Please remember, NutriScan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
NutriScan is conveniently split into two test panels, so you can order one or both. I’d order both.

Panel 1: Beef, corn, wheat, soy, cows milk, lamb, venison/deer, chicken, turkey, white fish.
Panel 2: Chicken eggs, barley, millet oatmeal, salmon, rabbit, rice, quiona, potato, peanut/peanut butter.

$130 for one panel (10 antigens), $250 for two panels (20 antigens). Vet Allergy test cost about $500 for 20 antigens. Check this page for test differences: NutriScan vs. Skin Patch or Skin Prick Testing
Q. How does this test differ from other food “allergy” tests on serum or feces ?
A. Food allergy tests measure antibodies to IgG and IgE in serum or feces. These are typically more acute allergic reactions to foods, whereas NutriScan measures IgA and IgM antibodies on the bowel’s mucosal surface, and thus more directly correlates to symptoms of bowel (GI tract) disease. http://nutriscan.org/the-nutriscan-difference/faqs.html

“NutriScan is a patented novel saliva test for canine food sensitivity and intolerance.” http://hemopet.org/

“This test measures antibodies to certain foods in dog saliva. High antibody levels indicate that the dog has a food sensitivity and intolerance to that food or foods.”

“Food intolerance or sensitivity is actually quite common whereas food allergy is rare. In fact, food intolerance is the third most common sensitivity condition in dogs and often can be easily remedied with a change in diet. For years, though, the difficulty lay in figuring out what foods were problematic – until now. Nutri-Scan is novel and patented and is not testing for food allergies, but rather tests for food sensitivities and intolerance. These are different body immune responses. Food allergy is a more immediate reaction mediated by production of IgE and IgG antibodies. Food sensitivity and intolerance, by contrast, measures a more delayed body response to offending foods by measuring production of IgA and IgM antibodies primarily in mucosal secretions from the bowel.”
http://www.hemopet.org/nutriscan.html

“In contrast to food allergies, food sensitivity and intolerance is more common and can be a long term reaction.” The NutriScan Difference

For the first time in veterinary history, pets can be diagnosed and treated for food sensitivities on an individual basis. We consider the dog’s age, breed, and size in all of our diagnostic technology. Not all dogs are metabolically and genetically alike and our technology provides for individualized care.” http://nutriscan.org/images/stories/Press_Release_Nutrigenomics.pdf

Nutri-Scan vs Food Elimination Trials: NutriScan vs. Food Elimination Trials
Advantages: http://nutriscan.org/images/stories/NutriScan_ADVANTAGE.pdf
Site showing results from testing: Does the Nutriscan Kit to Solve Dog Food Allergies Work? - Fidose
I personally asked Dr. Dodds how her test was different from Immuneiq which appears to be cheaper:
Per Dr. Dodds: “To my knowledge, it (Immuneiq) certainly has not been validated clinically or scientifically for food allergens. There is no other scientifically validated method of detecting food sensitivity and intolerance except for our patented Nutriscan test (now patented worldwide, and for dogs, cats & horses in USA; cats & horses pending overseas). “
Hope this helps!
Moms :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts