German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from my Vet, and Rocky has EPI. They received the results of his blood work from Texas A&M this morning. I've been reading about it and it can be overwhelming!!! We have been battling with loose poops for 1-½ months now, and have been treating for what the Vet first thought was colitis.
We recently have switched him over to a raw diet, and from what I’ve read that could be a good thing. I’m going to contact a raw supplier in our area on Monday to talk about what would be the best choice food wise for Rocky. The Vet is ordering a prescription medicine, and I requested a powder for him. So, please anything that could help us out feel free and let me know about it. I’m kind of crushed right now!!:(

·
Registered
420 Posts
Try not to get overwhelmed by a diagnosis of EPI. Our previous GSD, Rappex, had EPI and he lived a great life. We fed kibble, (I just didn't have the time to do a Raw diet properly), but if you can, that is great. We used Viokase powder, as the prescription enzyme and it worked very well. There are other generics out there that I have heard are good also, Pancreazyme, Epizyme, etc, I just don't have experience with them.

Basically Rocky will need the enzyme powder on all of his meals. Once you start using the enzyme, you will see a difference in Rocky's stools fairly quickly, 24-48 hours. Treats can be an issue, as you won't be able to put the enzyme on them. We gave Rappex a couple of treats a week and he was fine, but you will have to learn how much untreated food Rocky can handle. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I lived with this for years and I understand how stressful it can feel at first. Compared to so many of the things dogs can get, this isn't the worst. Expensive, yes. . .but totally a livable condition. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
there is a yahoogroup for dogs with EPI. Tons of info. It's called EPI Global. Josie also has EPI and i have gone through lots of trial error to figure out what works for her. Life may have to be adjusted but you get used to it. It was a hassle in the beginning but now it's just part of everyday life. Many dogs with EPI live a long time :).

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Do a search for EPI support groups. There is a group out there that is able to buy the enzymes in bulk and save you quite a bit of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts