German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently saved a German sheperd from an abandoned house...they just left her behind. The only thing left with her was an empty bottle of Pancrenzyme and some food and water. I took her to a vet at once and they put her on more of that medicine as well as some steriods. Her poop is still like a cow patty and very soft, rarely it will be tubular coming out. She is only 59 pounds and you can see her back bone and her rib cage. I have contacted a rescue place to see if they have any suggestions. They say a EPI test will help determine what meds she needs to be healthy. We don't have a lot of money and the vet we have now is telling me it could be $1800 to $2400 to run these tests and we just don't have it. We live in the Tampa Bay Florida area and I am desperate to find her help. I am willing to volunteer my time to get her to a doctor that can help. Anyone have any suggestions on how to put some weight on her and any vets who may be able to help? Thank you for any feedback.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
If the vet does a folate/cobalamine (for SIBO and B-12 deficiency) and cTLI (for EPI), it only costs about $150-$175. The results are back to your vet within 3-5 days. The test is a fasting blood test, no food for 8-12 hours. I don't know what tests your vet is talking about but those are the 2 that need to be done. They are overnighted to Texas A&M. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
......They say a EPI test will help determine what meds she needs to be healthy. We don't have a lot of money and the vet we have now is telling me it could be $1800 to $2400 to run these tests and we just don't have it.
I am really hoping that there was a miscommunication between you and the vet. WOW, that's way out of line, and if this is actually what was quoted for just testing the standard EPI/SIBO, then I would report that vet to the Better Business Bureau, and also if they belong to any veterinarian regulation agency in your state.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Gretel has EPI and while I did spend a few bucks getting the testing done (less than $500 for the TLI/Folate/Cobalamin) It was no where near the pricing you were quoted. I actually felt like I was being charged top dollar at a suburban Washington DC vets office.

After I began treatment, Gretel regained 30 pounds in a couple months.

This pic is from the site Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency and boy does this poop stink. If your pup has EPI, this site is indispensable. It is a classic EPI poo pic. Accompanied with coprophagia and sickly skinniness are classic symptoms.

Gretel is still on 1/4 tsp Tylan twice daily for SIBO along with enzymes from Diane Home - ENZYME DIANE. I am on here second jar of Tylan and hope this will be the last. A $48 bottle last a couple months. Tylan - 100g | Pet Supplies, Horse Supplies, Dog Supplies | KVsupply.com is where I get mine

I too had financial worries at the begining of her diagnois but now that she is back to a healthy normal dog I know I made the right decision.

Good luck, John

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
If you can, get the dog's eosinaphil and protein levels checked as well. Could be EPI, but also could be IBD. A lot of the symptoms are the same. Good luck! THe bloodwork is not that expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the quick responses. After looking at the sites you posted I can almost guarantee she is the poster child for EPI. Now I have to figure out how to come up with funds to get the test done and hopefully very very soon. I want nothing more than to keep her. She is 5 years old and I would give anything to be able to keep Layla for another 5 years. She is the most amazing dog I have ever met. We have two other dogs (a Siberian Husky and a Min Pin) and thank God they are both very healthy rescue dogs. I am going to try to solicit any local vet to see if I can volunteer my time to get a discount or a payment plan to get her helped sooner. Thank you again all of you. If I get anywhere I will post updates too.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
whoa, I was not prepared for that picture . Not agreeing with the stomach flue I've had this week. yikes.

You can assume it is a pancreatic insufficiency - you can give Prozyme , Viokase the vet prescribed med has exactly the same ingredients as Prozyme at a vastly different price, you can give Pancreatin Plus Enzymes by Natural Factors (for humans but is all the same) new Pancreatin Plux x 6 Topic: Enzyme Diane Update! Pancreatin 6x Plus RELEASED - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
you can give Wobenzym Products: Wobenzym® N - The Way Up or you can give Sunday Sundae which has all that and more more more .
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
If you're really in a tight bind, you can buy some porcine digestive enzymes, and see if they help. However, most over the counter ones are not strong enough for EPI, and it's better if you test before you do this.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
You really need to assume she has EPI and get her some enzymes somehow. Ask the vets about payment plans also. In addition, there is carecredit. Look for other financial loans/help as well.

The people that locked her in that building doomed her to a horrible death. Thank you so much for saving her and for continuing to try to help her!

I believe there is an EPI forum where they buy the enzymes in bulk to reduce the price.

And WOW! How's this for a coincidence?
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/k9-enzymes/151163-sepia.html

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Shop around for another vet, $150 to $200 is the norm, please do not wait much longer, the longer you wait the more complactions can occur

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
whoa, I was not prepared for that picture . Not agreeing with the stomach flue I've had this week. yikes.

You can assume it is a pancreatic insufficiency - you can give Prozyme , Viokase the vet prescribed med has exactly the same ingredients as Prozyme at a vastly different price, you can give Pancreatin Plus Enzymes by Natural Factors (for humans but is all the same) new Pancreatin Plux x 6 Topic: Enzyme Diane Update! Pancreatin 6x Plus RELEASED - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
you can give Wobenzym Products: Wobenzym® N - The Way Up or you can give Sunday Sundae which has all that and more more more .
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
I just saw this....I don't think Prozyme or Wobenzym are strong enough for an EPI dog. I don't know about the Natural Factors product or Sunday sundae for all out EPI?

I agree with ken k, this needs to be dealt with asap, since the dog is essentially starving to death and there can be more complications the longer this goes on.

Thank you for saving her!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already have her on enzymes....Its called Pancrenzyme or something along that line...I had the vet fill that right away. I also have her on a steriod and an antibiotic just in case. This was as much as I could do upfront. I am shopping vets in my area and trying to see what I can come up with. You guys are awesome people and thank you again for all of your suggestions and for understanding where I am with this. These animals are very much children and a part of our families. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah the steriod is for the weight to help her gain it...makes her drink even more water though and the antibiotic is sulfasalazine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts