German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My guy is 10yrs old. I have always had trouble keeping weight on him. He has always had seasonal allergies that affect his eyes and ears but the last couple of years he has had terrible itchy skin with inflammation + hair loss that the vets can't figure out. I found a different vet who suggested benedryl. It hasn't helped much.
Now the last few months he has had chronic diarrhea and huge weight loss + gurgling stomach and hunger and the vet said it could be pancreatic insufficiency and suggested enzymes and probiotics. He has lost so much weight that his ribs and hip bones are showing. After much research this totally fits and I am frustrated that it wasn't caught sooner. The problem is that no matter what I try I can't get the loose yellow stools to stop and he is barely gaining. There is also lots of stomach gurgling and a little belching/reflux after eating.
Please can someone give me a clear step by step ? I am so overwhelmed that i don't know which supplements etc are important.

Here is what I am currently doing:
Food: Barker's brunch raw signature blend ground - 50% beef trim w organ/tripe 50% ground chicken necks
3lbs per day (almost double the norm what he should be) split in 3 meals (he is always ready to eat)
Enzymes: about a tbsp of pork pancreas pureed with a little water and split between meals. I mix it in and let it sit for 20 mins. Seems if I give more enzyme than that the stool gets looser.
Probiotics: 2 kinds since I couldn't find the stains the vet suggested in one brand. I am almost at a capsule of each in each meal.
AOR probiotic 3 - enteroccocus feacum 18 mil, clostridium butyricum 0.6 mil, baccilus subtillus 0.6 mil
cyto matrix multi strain 11 - 3 strains bifidobacterium , 9 stains of lactobacillus
Slippery elm: 1/2 tsp mixed in each meal ( seems to make his stools looser but I just started today)
Electrolytes: a package of unflavored pedialyte in his bowl of drinking water because he has had the runs for so long. Just started the last couple of days but it seems to perk him up a bit. I know this doesn't "solve" anything. Just supportive
Benedryl: 50 mg 3 times per day
Additional: I have put in an order for
enzymediane powder
tylosin powder
b12 with folate and intrinsic factor

I am especially concerned about his b12 but I can't afford anymore vet bills atm. The problem is that I am in Canada and despite submitting customs paperwork the b12 is being held in customs ! I suspect it will be the same prob for the tylosin and possibly the enzymes.

I have read all sorts of things about b12 being the "turning point" . I have to admit that I got desperate and bought the "regular" cyanocobalamine b12 in liquid form and am giving 1000mg with each (3) meals. I don't know if he can even absorb any of this ?

He gets his last meal late before bed and his morning poop is usually formed and browner. but after his first and second meal his poops get really loose and yellow. The yellow poops + skin problems and inflammation and itching, goopy eyes/ears = sibo ?

I have been doing double food+enzymes+probiotics for 2 weeks
slippery elm & b12 liquid & pedialyte for 1-2 days
He has (maybe) gained a pound or 2

I have tons of supplements suggested in the past by homeopathic vet - but he didn't catch epi and was treating his skin like an allergy (a,e,c,d, 2 kinds of zinc etc)
also sunday sundae and feedsentials (but don't know if they are good anymore had them for over 2 yrs in the cupboard)

I am scared he is going to die if I can't get some nutrients into him. He is getting 3lbs of ground meat and organ and bone per day ... how can he possibly not be gaining weight ? This is frightening.
Please tell me what to do step by step ?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Hi EgansMom and WELCOME!

So sorry to hear you are going thru this!

My girl has been gone about 15 years now, and still trying to forget the 11 year nightmare we were in! We always referred to her as our $500,000.00 dog b/c of all the vet bills and changes in her nutrition and condition. lol

When our western medicine vets said that she would die within the year (she wasn't quite 2 years old at the time), I was fortunate in seeking out Homeopathy, Supplements, and Chiropractics/Acupuncture (drove 4 hour round trip every 4 weeks), and she lived just short of her 12th birthday!

I also fed raw, but there were times in those 11 years when she would wake up laying in a pool of yellow bile! At those times, I would have to switch foods and feed one with grain in it, and it would help her along with a few other changes to her remedies and supplements.

Have you ever tried him on The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated food? It is made from 100% Human Grade ingredients. thehonestkitchen.com/

Is your Enzyme Diane 8x?

For more info on current things I suggest you join Epi4Dogs - EPI4Dogs Forum
Tons of info there and they are up to date on EPI issues and how to help your dog. Wish this site would have been available way back when!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Also, the raw mix you are feeding may have too much fat in it.

I've always made my own raw mix and for her, I had to use extremely lean meat with very little fat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Momto2GSD's I am currently using frozen pork pancreas but the enzymedianne that I ordered is 6x

How did you afford to feed only lean meat ? There is no way I could afford to keep him in lean grind from the grocery store.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an example of your homemade raw diet would be great ? Budget is also an issue right now since I have very little money coming in thanks to covid19

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
You are doing nothing to treat the SIBO/SID. Has your dog been tested for EPI? It is not common to show up in an older dog although it can. Fix the SIBO first, then reassess.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I wouldn't presume to know how EPI is controlled now (IF that is what it is), that is why that EPI4DOGS site is so valuable. Was he tested for EPI? Serum Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity (TLI) - Gastrointestinal Laboratory

JMHO, but, I would definitely consider what you are feeding.

10 pounds of The Honest Kitchen is around $75 (beef/grain) but RE-hydrates to around 40 pounds of food. The 40 pounds does not equal 40 pounds of kibble (or measure that way) as this is REAL ground up food that you Re-hydrated with water. Dehydrated - Whole Grain Beef Recipe (Verve)

THK also has grain free BASE MIX that you mix in your own ground meat from the grocery store: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/meals scroll to bottom

I'm afraid my meat mix recipe would not be cost effective for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You are doing nothing to treat the SIBO/SID. Has your dog been tested for EPI? It is not common to show up in an older dog although it can. Fix the SIBO first, then reassess.
As I mentioned he has has symptoms of epi his whole life which has now progressed to critical. He has had other signs of malabsorption his whole life not just difficulty keeping weight on but to explain it all from the beginning would have made my post the length of a novel. I had no idea about epi in German shepherds until his new vet brought it up when he hit a critical point recently.
He has not been tested but his vet said he believes that is what's going on. Thought I said that in my post?

I have tylan (tylosin) on order for sibo - I am just hoping it gets through customs.
So I am giving slippery elm and probiotics and waiting on antibiotics to arrive and giving a food that has no carbs to create more bad bacteria in his colon. What else should I be doing ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To answer everyone's question ... my vet thinks epi/sibo fits. He has not been tested because he is so terrified of medical procedures that he has to be completely knocked out for any procedures and then given a reversal drug to come out of the sedation. And I mean any procedure even vaccines or nail trims . No way to draw blood without knocking him out. Very costly for me and stressful and hard on his body. My vet is a down to earth country vet who believes that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it is probably a duck ! Or in this case epi with sibo
His vet did mention antibiotics the last time we spoke but didn't want to pull the trigger on that right away and said to try enzymes and probiotics. Part of the problem is that he had been tried on ketoconozole and had a terrible allergic reaction so his vet thinks that the other antibiotics in that family ie. metronidozole would not be safe. I will revisit other antibiotic options with the vet since I don't think the Tylan will make it through Canada customs.
Anyways. Thanks all. I will head over and join epi4dogs.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Please join "epi4dogs" if you haven't yet and post your story, they will be able to help you. Epi4Dogs - EPI4Dogs Forum

Keep a daily log of what you're feeding, enzymes, meds, anything you're changing and write down everything. Make one change at a time or you won't know what's working or not.

Some EPI dogs can tolerate raw, some can't and since yours seems to be high in fat I would seriously consider switching diets.

You have to address SIBO and B12 if low. Tylan worked wonders for Nikki and she's on it for life, hope you can get it soon.

Feeding raw pancreas could be an issue also. Not sure if these enzymes are easier to get in Canada but we are using them and they work fine. Pan-tenex ™ (Canada Orders) | Pan-tenex - Enzymes For Dogs

Many dogs do ok by supplementing B12 with pills but it didn't work for Nikki and she gets weekly B12 injections. You can do them yourself, I pay $6 I think for a bottle at WalmartPetRx, it lasts about a year.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
As I mentioned he has has symptoms of epi his whole life which has now progressed to critical. He has had other signs of malabsorption his whole life not just difficulty keeping weight on but to explain it all from the beginning would have made my post the length of a novel. I had no idea about epi in German shepherds until his new vet brought it up when he hit a critical point recently.
He has not been tested but his vet said he believes that is what's going on. Thought I said that in my post?

I have tylan (tylosin) on order for sibo - I am just hoping it gets through customs.
So I am giving slippery elm and probiotics and waiting on antibiotics to arrive and giving a food that has no carbs to create more bad bacteria in his colon. What else should I be doing ?
Tylan will do you good. If you don't mind my asking, are you on the US?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tylan will do you good. If you don't mind my asking, are you on the US?
I am in Canada so the rules about importing meds and even vitamins are alot stricter. As I said my B12 with intrinsic factor (you can't get b12 with the intrinsic factor in Canada so I had to order from the US)... even that is being held at Canada customs so I am doubtful that the Tylan which is a medication will make it through customs. I have also heard about Canadian orders from enzymedianne being held by customs. As for being allowed to just buy b12 injectable with a prescription... I will have to check if that is allowed in Canada.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Tylan (Tylosin) is available in Canada from vets. It is a veterinary formulation of erythromycin. My SIL was allowed to keep some on hand at home by his vet because his old girl, Kenya, would have sudden and unexplained bouts of diarrhea. He could get a dose into her immediately and usually the first dose worked. See if your vet will do this for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't presume to know how EPI is controlled now (IF that is what it is), that is why that EPI4DOGS site is so valuable. Was he tested for EPI? Serum Trypsin-Like Immunoreactivity (TLI) - Gastrointestinal Laboratory

JMHO, but, I would definitely consider what you are feeding.

10 pounds of The Honest Kitchen is around $75 (beef/grain) but RE-hydrates to around 40 pounds of food. The 40 pounds does not equal 40 pounds of kibble (or measure that way) as this is REAL ground up food that you Re-hydrated with water. Dehydrated - Whole Grain Beef Recipe (Verve)

THK also has grain free BASE MIX that you mix in your own ground meat from the grocery store: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/meals scroll to bottom

I'm afraid my meat mix recipe would not be cost effective for you.
Tylan (Tylosin) is available in Canada from vets. It is a veterinary formulation of erythromycin. My SIL was allowed to keep some on hand at home by his vet because his old girl, Kenya, would have sudden and unexplained bouts of diarrhea. He could get a dose into her immediately and usually the first dose worked. See if your vet will do this for you.
Thank you . I am going to call tomorrow !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update since (most) everyone has been so helpful...
Tylan and petfactor B12 got delivered yesterday. Had a consult with vet by phone also.
Afterv 2 doses (high to start 1/2 tsp bid) yesterday...not only did the runs stop...but his skin and ears are not red anymore !!! Going to do 3 days 1/2 tsp bid then 1/4 tsp bid for 4 wks and 1/8 tsp bid last 2wks (then decide with vet if he is a "lifer" on tylan).
I am curious if anyone else has had digestive/sibo issues on BarkersBrunch raw food ? His downhill descent all started about a year after I put him on it because we had moved (away from my butcher) and due to no vehicle franken prey was not an option.
Definitely a bacterial overgrowth ... and what I am amazed about and didn't expect is that it seems to be clearing up his skin "allergies" !

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
Thanks for the update. What good news that is.

OK this tid bit comes too late to be of immediate use but if you are having trouble getting B12 - try brewer's yeast. It is basically B 12.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What next for healing ?
Update:
Wed Apr 22nd started Tylan and doing 1/2 tsp bid for 3days then 1/4 tsp bid 4 wks then 1/8 tsp bid 2wks
So we are doing this ( and YES this is in consultation with my vet)
Breakfast
1 lb (50/50) 50% Barkers brunch ground beef trim/organ/liver 50% extra lean ground beef (leaving the bone % out for the moment to go easy on his bowels)
approx 1/3 tbsp pork pancreas blended with a little water and mixed in with food and let sit for 15-20mins
1/2 tsp tylan powder
1 pet factor b12 intrinsic w folate

Lunch
1 lb (50/50) 50% Barkers brunch ground beef trim/organ/liver 50% extra lean ground beef (leaving the bone % out for the moment to go easy on his bowels)
approx 1/3 tbsp pork pancreas blended with a little water and mixed in with food and let sit for 15-20mins
1 capsule probiotic (bifobacterium & lactobascillus strains)
1 capsule probiotic (enterococcus faecum)

Dinner
1/2 tsp tylan powder
1 pet factor b12 intrinsic w folate

Results:
-Egan had a poo yesterday (after 24 hrs no poo ) although he only had one it was unfortunately a really dark brown pudding (too much liver? Barkers is supposed to be the correct muscle to organ ratio). He is not going frequently anymore but I am thinking the organ/liver in the mix may be a little rich right now.
Trying only extra lean ground beef today... and will gradually re introduce the beef and organ mix.
-his stomach rumbling/belching/reflux is greatly reduced
-he is brighter and more "chipper" than he has been for ages. Tail wagging and kisses and wants to play ( but we are taking it easy for now)
- the inflammation and body itching is almost ... completely gone BUT his face and ears are still bothering him.
I have not given him any antihistamines (the first time in 3yrs) since I noticed this huge improvement by the 2nd day of Tylan. He is only scratching his body a very small amount now BUT he is also crazy dry. I will be gradually adding in his healthy fats once his bowels are stable.
BUT I have noticed that he gets up in the morning and there is hardly any redness to his face and ears but as the day progresses he gets more red and itchy around face/ears/paws

So I am wondering:
-could he be getting more pink/itchy as the day progresses due to leaky gut and reacting to the proteins he has had for the last 6 yrs ?
-could it just be that he still has a high bacterial load and by mid day his antibiotics are wearing off ?
- he has always has "seasonal" allergies (the skin stuff was only the last 3yrs) so maybe this is just his "usual" ?
-is there more I can be doing to heal his gut now or should I wait till nearer the end of his course of antibiotics ?

The vet was really not much help in the food department. He said to just leave him on what he has been used to for now and see what happens". He did mention "hydrolized protein prescription royal canin diet"
I looked it up and no f***ing way! First ingredient ...brewers rice !

WOW...very interesting observation... today I am only feeding extra lean that I found on special at the grocery .. 100% grass fed Australian angus cert hormone/antibiotic free ... he is not turning pink and itchy so far ! I can't bloody believe it ...his skin/face and ears are a normal white/slightly very pale pink color !
Could the "quality" of the protein be a factor ? This is the only reference I could find to sourcing on Barkers Brunch website
"We have developed a network of suppliers and invested in stock to provided people with an affordable reliable source for RAW food. "

So here is the thing .. after reading the labels on about 30 different brands of dog food (honest kichen included) I am going to have to stand my ground and say I am NOT willing to put him on a commercial or freeze dried/dehydrated food. Even honest kichen is higher carbs than I am comfortable with and honestly it doesn't make sense to me to put a dog with bacterial/yeast problems on 30-50% carbs. Nor will I do grains.
I want to continue raw but I think I need to revamp it ? Make it "cleaner" but somehow still affordable ?
I am also not sure what direction to go with proteins
Historically he has had
pork, chick, beef, occasional lamb, occasional salmon
he loves all raw veggies/fruits
has an aversion to - all fish not salmon, turkey

nutriscan (Dr.Dodds) saliva testing 1.5 yrs ago
sensitive to
wheat
rice
venison
duck
turkey
whitefish

Strangly he never gets the things that nutriscan says he is sensitive to ?
The last time he had any of those would have been over 6yrs ago.
Also strangely it said he is NOT sensitive to
pork
chick
beef
lamb
salmon

He already gets b12, and I know he will eat coconut oil, safflower, and olive oils which I will gradually add back in.
I also have expensive additive free Zinc,vit A,vit E, vit D, vit C, biotin (as per the previous homeopathic vets reco) but I have only been using the b12 and probiotics for now.
I hear these guys can also be deficient in vit K.
I would really like to find a vitamin/mineral supplement that is a combo since this is overwhelming.
Same goes for a healthy fats combo.
Despite always feeding him the proper ratio of muscle, organ, bone + tripe (Barkers Brunch) and Bonnie&Clyde omegs 3 ... he continued to have skin/ ear problems and difficulty keeping weight on the past 3 yrs.

The first time I have seen improvement has been since he has been on the Tylan antibiotic and getting probiotics.

-Does feed sentails contain A,E,D,C,K and B's etc?
-Would Shemp oil be okay since he won't eat anything with a strong fish taste and reacts to whitefish ?
- is Sunday Sundae enough enzyme for a possibly epi dog and if I use this should I still add his other probiotics?
( I have ordered enzyme dianne and his vet basically said that it's possible he has epi and to treat him like he does - that the enzymes won't do any harm and will give his pancreas a break and if he doesn't need the b12 he will just pee it out anyways)
- is the kelp in feed sentials ok since his bloodwork woth the previous homeopathic vet showed "slightly low" thyroid ?
I would really like to go back to preparing balanced meals myself with a little added veg (and a tiny bit of fruit)

So I am really baffled about
1. a step by step protocol for healing his gut
2. which proteins to choose
3. affordable cleaner sources
4.what vitamins and minerals to add since he seems to have a problem with absorption
5. what healthy fats to add (esp since he won't eat anything with a strong fish taste and reacts to whitefish)
6. does ground eggshell give the same correct ratio as bone since I am not sure his gut can handle rmb right now

Would love some input from Carmspack ! Thanks all... and sorry I wrote a novel !

·
Registered
743 Posts
Have you emailed Carmen Duggan with your questions about FeedSentials, Shemp and Sunday Sundae? She is not on here much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of Interest: Dr.Dodds Nuriscan

I dug up a copy of my email response regarding the nutriscan results (ignore the fact they got his name wrong)
I guess according to this ... the only things he has an issue with are rice and whitefish & their oils & venison (& related-elk,deer,moose)...even though he has never had venison or related...even in treats.
I just don't understand why his skin was (at the time of testing) and continued to be a mess when he didn't/doesn't eat any of those things and apparently he is not reactive to the proteins he does eat !
I wasn't and am still not sure what to make of the validity of this test.

Dear Treena: Hello ! See answers below and attached. Warmest regards, Jean

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 1:13 PM
To: Hemopet Info <[email protected]>
Subject: HML129306 - Treena Laing re: Lagan Laing

ME:
Dear Dr.Dodds,
Please could you explain some of Egan's test results.
Specifically the science behind how a dog can test positive for foods he has never consumed or the last consumption was over 4 yrs ago and in one case close to 7 yrs ago.
Your report says "
Antibodies to IgA measure the immune response to certain foods in secretions like saliva that have
occurred over the last 2 years.
Antibodies to IgM measure the body's primary immune response to a recent exposure of certain foods
within the last 6 months."

Dr.Dodds: Food reactivities also can be seen to foods or supplements that the animal ate before it became a meat source, so that reactions to grains, milk proteins and legumes can be seen. Recent studies published in North America and Europe showed that nearly all of the premium and prescription foods tested contain undeclared sources of animal origin (meat, poultry or fish), and soy proteins.

Me: he has not eaten premium/commercial or prescription food in almost 5 yrs. So the cows,chickens and pigs he has been eating would have had to be eating venison themselves since to the best of my knowledge he has never had it. !

Further, the body's metabolism and food reactivities can change at any time with ongoing environmental exposures and pollution after being rather steady for years, and, food sensitivity is cumulative.

Here are the examples:

1. Venison Salivary IgA 10.341 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Venison Salivary IgM 11.663 Borderline Reaction; Avoid < 10 U/mL
Dr.Dodds: Any recent exposure to deer or elk or related velvet antler chews ?

Me: He has never had venison in his life or antler chews.. Ever. Yet according to your test he would have consumed it both in the last 2 yrs and last 6 months. See above.

2. Duck Salivary IgA 9.285 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Duck Salivary IgM 10.086 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL

Me: Again according to your test he would have needed to consume duck within the last 6 months but the last time he had ANY duck would have been in a dry dog food 7 (seven) yrs ago.

Dr.Dodds: Reactions below 11.5 units per ml have no clinical significance & weak reactions are just assay background noise

3. Turkey Salivary IgA 10.130 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL Turkey Salivary IgM 11.051 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL

Me: Same thing. I tried him with a single turkey breast about 3.5 yrs ago. He didn't like it so I never fed it again.
Dr.Dodds: Reactions below 11.5 units per ml have no clinical significance & weak reactions are just assay background noise

4. Lentils, Millet , oatmeal and quinoa all have weak reactions.

The last time he had three of these would have been over 4 yrs ago in a dry
dog food. He has never had quinoa.

Please could you clarify how these positive test results are even possible ? See above and attached.
Most notably the venison which he has never consumed in any form.

Generally speaking when I look at the overview of all the foods... he is
having weak to borderline reactions to mostly foods that he has either not had
in over 3.5 yrs (and up to 7 yrs) or never eaten in his life.

The most baffling of these results is the venison due to the fact that I am
certain he has never eaten it in his life. I have listed the 4 most
outstanding examples and would ask you to clarify them specifically.

I can assure you that the food consumption I have told you is accurate. I am
VERY aware of what I feed him.
Thank you and I await your response.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the actual report:
Species
Canine
Breed
German Shepherd
Sex
MN
Pet Age
7 Yrs 10 Months
67 lbs
Reported
01/14/19
Test Requested Result Case Specific General Range Units
Beef Salivary IgA 7.800 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Beef Salivary IgM 8.350 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Chicken Salivary IgA 8.489 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Chicken Salivary IgM 10.727 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Corn Salivary IgA 9.974 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Corn Salivary IgM 10.616 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Duck Salivary IgA 9.285 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Duck Salivary IgM 10.086 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Lamb Salivary IgA 9.350 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Lamb Salivary IgM 8.879 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Milk Salivary IgA 10.518 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Milk Salivary IgM 10.109 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Pork Salivary IgA 9.050 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Pork Salivary IgM 9.650 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Soy Salivary IgA 9.644 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Soy Salivary IgM 9.974 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Turkey Salivary IgA 10.130 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Turkey Salivary IgM 11.051 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Venison Salivary IgA 10.341 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Venison Salivary IgM 11.663 Borderline Reaction;
Avoid
< 10 U/mL
Wheat Salivary IgA 11.072 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Wheat Salivary IgM 11.236 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
White Fish Salivary IgA 10.700 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
White Fish Salivary IgM 11.940 Borderline Reaction;
Avoid
< 10 U/mL
Page 1 of 4
HEMOLIFE (Diagnostic Division of HEMOPET)
11561 Salinaz Avenue, Garden Grove, CA 92843
Tel: 714-891-2022; Fax: 714-891-2123
www.hemopet.org www.nutriscan.org E-Mail: [email protected]
Accession No.
HML129306
Doctor
EDDIE BELTRAN
Owner
LAING, TREENA
Pet Name
LAGAN
Received
12/31/18
Test Requested Result Case Specific General Range Units
Barley Salivary IgA 9.900 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Barley Salivary IgM 9.650 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Egg Salivary IgA 9.870 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Egg Salivary IgM 7.910 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Lentil Salivary IgA 10.104 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Lentil Salivary IgM 10.984 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Millet Salivary IgA 10.809 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Millet Salivary IgM 9.741 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Oatmeal Salivary IgA 10.850 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Oatmeal Salivary IgM 9.300 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Peanut Salivary IgA 10.365 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Peanut Salivary IgM 10.187 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Potato Salivary IgA 10.500 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Potato Salivary IgM 10.558 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Quinoa Salivary IgA 11.089 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Quinoa Salivary IgM 10.233 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Rabbit Salivary IgA 9.435 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Rabbit Salivary IgM 9.890 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Rice Salivary IgA 11.600 Borderline Reaction;
Avoid
< 10 U/mL
Rice Salivary IgM 10.100 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Salmon Salivary IgA 11.375 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Salmon Salivary IgM 10.063 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Sweet Potato Salivary IgA 10.898 Weak Reaction < 10 U/mL
Sweet Potato Salivary IgM 8.944 Negative Reaction < 10 U/mL
Dear Eddie and Treena: Nutriscan Panels #1 and 2 are completed and showed food reactions to:
Venison, White-colored Fish (and their Oils), and Rice. Please avoid these reactive foods. Best
wishes, Jean [W.Jean Dodds, DVM]
Page 2 of 4
HEMOLIFE (Diagnostic Division of HEMOPET)
11561 Salinaz Avenue, Garden Grove, CA 92843
Tel: 714-891-2022; Fax: 714-891-2123
www.hemopet.org www.nutriscan.org E-Mail: [email protected]
Accession No.
HML129306
Doctor
EDDIE BELTRAN
Owner
LAING, TREENA
Pet Name
LAGAN
Received
12/31/18
Nutriscan test results indicate which of the 24 foods tested are unsuitable for this animal (i.e. tested or
above 11.5 units/ml with either IgA or IgM antibodies).
Foods testing below 11.5 units/mL should be safe to feed as results were negative or weak (weak
reactions reflect background assay "noise").
A NutriGold consultation is available, if you have questions or wish advice and suggestions about these
results.
Nutriscan Interpretation (see www.nutriscan.org for more details)
Pet should not consume food or treats containing ingredient(s) showing results of 11.5 or greater, that
state "Avoid" above, for either IgA and/or IgM antibodies. Please remember that changing your pet's
diet can cause bowel upsets, so gradually changing foods over 7-14 days is preferred. Recommend
rechecking salivary food sensitivity or intolerance levels every 6 -12 months. Jean
Degree of reactivity
<10 U/mL indicates a normal food antigen tolerance level =negative result.
10-11.4 U/mL indicates a weak reaction; clinical significance unclear
11.5-11.9 U/mL indicates a borderline reaction
12-12.9 U/mL indicates an intermediate reaction
13-14.9 U/mL indicates a medium reaction
/= 15 U/mL indicates a strong reaction
Differences between antibodies to IgA and IgM in Saliva
Antibodies to IgA measure the immune response to certain foods in secretions like saliva that have
occurred over the last 2 years.
Antibodies to IgM measure the body's primary immune response to a recent exposure of certain foods
within the last 6 months.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow, a lot going on here with this dog. Have you been in contact with any veterinary specialists? Dermatologist? Homeopathic? You have your vet's direction and then all of these supplements. Contraindications? Neutralizing effects? Amplifying?

I would heavily scrutinize your food/supplement ingredients. On the website for Barker's it says there is elk antler dust in the pork. If you aren't feeding the pork it could be cross contaminated in the production. I also saw Sunday Sundae is made with goat protein and could be an allergen since it was not tested (correct?). Are all of these foods human grade or are they throwing in other possible contaminants?

My Storm has EPI and we do use enzyme powder. I also fed raw for a long time (started 1998) which was begun by a GSD with bad allergies and limited single ingredient foods back then. I don't do raw with Storm now (stopped 4 years ago) because using raw pancreas isn't a controlled dose of enzyme and I didn't wanna take chances. My vet has another client with a little dog that uses raw pancreas and does fine, but eats a pretty good sized amount.

I think you are on the right track with feeding beef solely and looking for improvements. That is what I did to eliminate allergens. A 2 week cycle of protein sources changes with no other changes and only necessary/minimal supplements. I also fed a separate organ meat meal that matched the protein source to control for the richness and fed with my veggie meal. I usually could tell by a week, but kept the protein 2 weeks unless there was a severe reaction. I also kept a diary to track data and compare reactions. If you can use human grade from the butcher/store/wholesaler then do that so you can control better what you are feeding. I would also examine your veggies. Are you using a veggie that may have a similarity to an allergen or increase the allergic response? People who have pollen allergies can acerbate it by eating certain foods. Just as in people, allergies can apply beyond the initially tested antegen as with nut allergies.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts