German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rescue is going to be tested for EPI today, I have been trying to read up on it on the internet. Not sure her symptoms are consistent with what I am seeing. From what I read, they have huge appetites but still lose weight... well, she doesnt have much of an appetite at all, I can only get her to eat maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of her meal each feeding, sometimes even just a few bites. I have tried several kinds of kibble, She is eating science diet kibble right now, and I Have been trying everything to get her to eat, even putting hamburger or chicken in the food. This morning I had chicken AND hamburger in with the kibble and she only ate a few bites. I try to get her to eat at least twice during the day. Once in a while she will eat the whole bowl but not very often. She seems normal otherwise, she plays and acts happy.

Can anyone who has a gsd with EPI give me any input or their thoughts? Sometimes I wonder if she is just too much of a busy body to want to take time out to eat. OH, and one more thing, she was tested yesterday and she does have tapeworms, we are getting the treatment tomorrow, but from what I was told and read, that isnt the reason for the lack of appetite and weight??!?!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Here is a link I found for you: here

I've been doing some research on EPI myself...

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
My dog who had EPI wasn't a big eater. Tapeworm, yuck, but I hope for your dog's sake that's the only issue, it's treatable. EPI is a life sentence.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the link marylou!!!

sunczarina - yes I am HOPING tapeworm is all it is, we are pretty worried about it, she had her EPI blooddraw last night, results will take about a week to get...crossing fingers!! She gets her tapeworm treatment today.

lilysmom - her stools are sometimes loose, sometimes mostly formed, and hers are usually a lighter color, kind of a tan-ish, maybe orange-ish tone to them.

we have been getting her to eat a little better the last few days, she doesnt look quite as thin and bony as before... hopefully that is a good sign.!!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
dbailey - did you fast her 12 hours prior to the blood draw?

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes we did, she ate at about 6am yesterday, her test was at about 7:30pm!! Thanks for the reply and yes I will definately keep you posted!!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Do you have photos of her? So we can see how thin she is?

I know one of my GSD's never cared about eating and would skip meals for DAYS! (but she would sure eat a chunk of cheese or other treat). So she stayed slender but it was just the way she was, not an illness (thank goodness).

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: dbailey.......She is eating science diet kibble right now, and I Have been trying everything to get her to eat, even putting hamburger or chicken in the food.

....... and one more thing, she was tested yesterday and she does have tapeworms, we are getting the treatment tomorrow, but from what I was told and read, that isnt the reason for the lack of appetite and weight??!?!
Have you tried feeding her without any SD kibble at all? She might really dislike the food. I had this problem with one kibble that I was feeding when my dog was a pup. She just wouldn't eat it, and she's a food hound. In general, I'm not a fan of SD.

I guess you will see if the treatment for the tapes affects her appetite and her weight. I would have guessed it might.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts