German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a three year old GSD with EPI. His pancreas function is pretty much zero.

Up until now I have been feeding him raw kangaroos meat twice a day, together with Savor Life Turkey kibble. He has been fine for the last 24 months on this diet.

Now he is starting to develop a food intolerance to the kibble - and refuses it. If it is mixed up with the roo mince he also refuses it.

I have been supplementary feeding him fresh chicken but obviously the fat content is not conducive to reducing any inflammation that the kibble intolerance has caused in him.

I was wondering if any forum members have a recipe they use for the EPI dogs that comprises raw meat, high protein, low fat, low fibre.

I have been told by my vet to ‘suck it and see’ in terms of changing dietary regimes, but would prefer to at least start off with something that has worked successfully for someone else.

With thanks

Sprite

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi all

I have a three year old GSD with EPI. His pancreas function is pretty much zero.

Up until now I have been feeding him raw kangaroos meat twice a day, together with Savor Life Turkey kibble. He has been fine for the last 24 months on this diet.

Now he is starting to develop a food intolerance to the kibble - and refuses it. If it is mixed up with the roo mince he also refuses it.

I have been supplementary feeding him fresh chicken but obviously the fat content is not conducive to reducing any inflammation that the kibble intolerance has caused in him.

I was wondering if any forum members have a recipe they use for the EPI dogs that comprises raw meat, high protein, low fat, low fibre.

I have been told by my vet to ‘suck it and see’ in terms of changing dietary regimes, but would prefer to at least start off with something that has worked successfully for someone else.

With thanks

Sprite
My previous dog had EPI, and I used a 50-50 mixed blend of Royal Canin GSD and Taste of the Wild Pacific. I used this blend because I went through a whole bunch of food that he didn't like and this was the only thing that he ate without me adding things to it. In the summers, his appetite waned and I had to add boiled chicken or Tripett canned food. In the winter, he ate it heartily. As far as raw...I never fed raw so I can't help you there. All I can say is you may have to do some "trial and error" to find the right food and/or formula blend that gets your dog interested in eating. Maybe you can write to the different dog food companies and ask them to send you a few "sample" bags. A lot of the companies will be happy to do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts