German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little girl pup, Gretel, has EPI. I just started her on enzymes yesterday and I am still learning the ropes. She eats the food without hesitation and sometimes wants more. Can I give her an additional cup of dry food (without enzymes) immediately after she has eaten all the food in her dish if she is still hungry? What about leftovers, can you stick them in the fridge until the next meal (or overnight)?

This is a little bit of a challenge since she has been sharing a foodbowl with her mate, Hansel, since they came home at 8 weeks. They have free fed up till yesterday.

Since she has gotten so skinny I am anxious to let her eat all she wants. Her energy level already seems to be up and she is acting better, happier.

Also, I hope the poop eating ends soon as this really grosses me out. I am hoping the undigested food (poop) just smelled too good to resist and after the enzymes kick in it will stop. I hope.

Thanks, John

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I would not give food without the enzymes, especially being new to the meds.

I used to pre-make the food. I would mix the kibble, water, and enzymes, then it would go in the fridge for the next feeding which I would heat in the microwave until warm. I did this so Akira didn't have to wait 20 mins for her food. I stopped doing it awhile ago because it just didn't seem as fresh.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess Hansel and Gretel will get used to the separate feedings after a while. Right now they don't like it one bit.

I have been adding Parmesan cheese after 20 minutes (just before eating) to entice her to eat this new mush. Maybe I should let the cheese sit with the enzymes as well?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
What are you feeding her?
And yes, they will have to be fed seperately, not just for awhile but permanently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would consider a raw diet. Rocky has EPI and we have him on a raw diet and he's doing very well on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have some good news, Gretel had her first normal poop in months. She is gaining weight and her overall heath and happiness seems much better. If my scale is right she has gained 16 pounds. I didn't believe it and weighed Hansel and his weight was the same as two weeks ago at the vets office. Incredible. I have my fingers crossed that we are on the right track to getting her back to normal.

As weird as it may seem, this pic is the highlight of my month! John

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I have some good news, Gretel had her first normal poop in months. She is gaining weight and her overall heath and happiness seems much better. If my scale is right she has gained 16 pounds. I didn't believe it and weighed Hansel and his weight was the same as two weeks ago at the vets office. Incredible. I have my fingers crossed that we are on the right track to getting her back to normal.

As weird as it may seem, this pic is the highlight of my month! John
So glad to hear she's making progress! My EPI girl has not had ANY problems (knock knock) once I got diet and enzymes straightened out. She's basically been maintenance free for several years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So glad to hear she's making progress! My EPI girl has not had ANY problems (knock knock) once I got diet and enzymes straightened out. She's basically been maintenance free for several years.
I'm very happy to hear that. Rocky is going the same way, we got his diet on track and the right amount of enzymes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts