German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need immediate help!! I’m starting B12 shots today and I need advice how much and where to give.
Our #115 baby is down to #70 and increase in Enzyme’s is not helping. She’s losing her fur and she’s not herself.
Not one vet could diagnose her 8 years ago. I did through research and forums. Now our Enzyme’s supplier suggested adding B12. Once again every vet wants thousands to run tests. I’ve researched and feel like B12 is the answer!
PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I’d second running bloodwork. I’d also want a full thyroid panel done. Is your dog experiencing any GI symptoms?

·
Registered
863 Posts
1)Are you using animal enzymes, typically powdered pig pancreas, or are you using the plant based enzyme pills? The plant based ones never worked for mine. 2)Mine only got the B12 shots twice in his lifetime...once when he was diagnosed and once at the end of his life. I completely forgot about giving him those shots. But he did fine for 10-11 years without them. 3)Most importantly, I agree with the others. You need to get him tested for other things like cancer, etc. Because if he was ok for 8 years, there's no reason he wouldn't be now unless something else popped up. Like I said, mine was fine for 10-11 years after the diagnosis of EPI until Oct of last year. By that point he lost almost 17 lbs and was found to have growths in his liver and in other surrounding organs. Long story short, I had to put him down almost exactly a year ago (12/16). Don't wait...get it checked out. If you're not happy with the vets right now, find another vet. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Testing is always a good place to start....although I know it can be costly. But it is important to know what you are dealing with to properly treat it.

I gave my boy B12 shots last year. He was tested for EPI which was negative but his B12 was low...suspected SIBO. I switched from injections to a pill after the first month. Also started him on Tylan powder. He no longer needs either. I got the B12 injections from the vet and was able to administer them myself.

Have you ever joined the EPI group? They have tons of information. EPI4DOGS.COM

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would join "epi4dogs" to get help with your dogs EPI. https://www.epi4dogs.com/forum/

If you want to get your dogs B12 levels tested you need this test, it doesn't cost thousands. It's been a few years since we tested Nikki but it shouldn't be much more than $200. http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/b12folate

Sounds like you got more going on than just low B12, that's a lot of weight loss. You can also order the B12 pills but they didn't work for us. https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Was the dog actually diagnosed by a vet with EPI?

My dog had low B-12 at one point and it was diagnosed through blood work, the shots were provided to me by the vet who also showed me how to administer them. If your dog needs it, it will show up on bloodwork and your vet will show you how to do it or give the shots themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts