German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our back yard is a mud pit.
It gets like this every spring, every time it rains since it's mostly clay under the balding grass.
We tried adding dirt,seeding with clover etc but now that we have Lola....well... I doubt the glass will have any chance of growing with all the playing we do in the yard.
I don't care so much about the grass, what gets me is how dirty she gets from playing back there. She needs a bath everythime she comes in !

Before I do this though,I just want to make sure it's safe for her.

We were thinking of using natural woodchips (renting a chipper since we have access to as many trees as we need )
Has anyone else done this ?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
In my worst bare spots I have been covering with just sand. It is quick to dry when it rains and so far I am pleased with it. That is one of the cons of having large dogs, no grass.:(

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We did this on the side of the house where grass just will not grow. Dogs would play in the mud, mud would splash on the house when it rained. For that it has worked out great.

The drawback, at least for me, is my lab has now decided that is her potty area. Before, she was consistently staying with the designated area <sigh> back to the training board lol 2 areas to pick up till we get her back on track.

The plus with the mulch itself, is as it breaks down, blends in with the existing soil, you will find you end up with some very rich soil.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
It should be safe but it can harbor bugs and will hold odor unless you keep it watered down. I have some. If your yard is flat I would highy recommend cypress playground mulch. I went 4-6 inches deep. Definitely get it by the truck not bags!

It seems to last longer than shredded or ground mulch. Another option would be pine nuggets but I think termites like those.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
LOL, I just posted on another thread about how we laid down play chips (think playground footing at a park) in our dog yard.

It makes picking up poo easier. It cuts way down on mud. But we learned that you do need to rake it level every couple of weeks, or the dogs will bank it against the fence simply through their pattern of movement. And that creates too much stress on the fence. If you don't rake it on occasion and keep it loose, it will pack down and become hard as concrete in places. We have snow and frozen ground in the winter here, which encourages that kind of ground packing.

Although it cuts down on mud, it does seem to attract more than its fair share of dust. In the 7 years that we have used it as footing for the dog yard, we learned that we need to clear it out and replace it every year or two.
Sheilah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts