German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost three year old active WL is on limited activity for 6 weeks. No jumping or climbing, no exercise except controlled leashed walks in the yard. We are into Week 2. He is cooperating some, but he’s feeling good and wants to move. I have interactive toys like the Buster Cube but he pounces on it, so that is out. He can’t have bones or chews like Nylabones and he is bored with Kongs. He is on a limited diet for now so I can’t stuff toys with peanut butter or cheese, If he can’t stay quiet, I need to keep him crated, which I don’t want to do. I have Trazodone but it makes him so sedated at a dose that works I prefer to only give it if I absolutely have to. Suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You could try leash walking outside of your yard. Do you have any paved walking trails in your area? A park? Even a different neighborhood. Varying his environment will stimulate him while keeping him contained.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He can’t leave the yard. He is on very limited exercise. He gets very excited when we do scent training.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm in the same boat and can't do any scenting work as it's too exciting. All I can do is two 5-10 minute leash walks a day and about 18 hours a day crate rest. When I let her out I have to keep her calm, so a stuffed kong and bully stick a day and some couch time. I don't have to keep my dog confined to the backyard though. Outings are valuable.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
My almost three year old active WL is on limited activity for 6 weeks. No jumping or climbing, no exercise except controlled leashed walks in the yard. We are into Week 2. He is cooperating some, but he’s feeling good and wants to move. I have interactive toys like the Buster Cube but he pounces on it, so that is out. He can’t have bones or chews like Nylabones and he is bored with Kongs. He is on a limited diet for now so I can’t stuff toys with peanut butter or cheese, If he can’t stay quiet, I need to keep him crated, which I don’t want to do. I have Trazodone but it makes him so sedated at a dose that works I prefer to only give it if I absolutely have to. Suggestions?
Trazodone is a miracle drug. When the dogs health and your sanity is on the line I would dose him. It makes mine into a zombi but we do what we have to. The other drug that I have found works well is pregabalin. This works well and is less "zombi" inducing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts