German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Brutus has a swollen lymph node (I think that's what it is) on the left side of his neck, below his ear and just behind the jaw. I remember thinking it felt a little swollen a week or two ago but thought maybe I was being paranoid. Now I am certain I am not being paranoid- it has swollen to the size of a small grape. I have already made a vet apt for Friday afternoon. He is only about 11 months, extremely active and acts completely normal. I am freaking out wondering if it is something terrible like lymphoma. He is on HW preventative, Vectra 3D for flea control, eats Zignature dog food, fully vaccinated. Anyone had a dog with a swollen node? (All the others feel normal)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
It could be a million different things. You need your vet to figure it out.

Try not to go to the worst case scenario in your mind! It could be a minor infection that just needs cleaning and antibiotics (e.g., from some injury that isn't visible). For example, I've seen this happen a couple of times in rescue dogs from dental injuries that had gone unnoticed (e.g., an absessed tooth, or a mouth injury from rough play with another dog), or other small puncture wounds hidden beneath fur. Even something as small as a tick could potentially cause it.

There's seriously so many possible reasons for this that it's not worth speculating on the scarier possibilities. Let's hope it's just a minor boo boo!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a million different things. You need your vet to figure it out.

Try not to go to the worst case scenario in your mind! It could be a minor infection that just needs cleaning and antibiotics (e.g., from some injury that isn't visible). For example, I've seen this happen a couple of times in rescue dogs from dental injuries that had gone unnoticed (e.g., an absessed tooth, or a mouth injury from rough play with another dog), or other small puncture wounds hidden beneath fur. Even something as small as a tick could potentially cause it.

There's seriously so many possible reasons for this that it's not worth speculating on the scarier possibilities. Let's hope it's just a minor boo boo!
Thank you! That does make me feel better. I've been stressing it all day. We do have LOTS of spear grass and I have been thinking maybe one worked its way in, or he has a lingering infection from when he was a pup and his retained teeth caused holes in his palate, or from the time he got cactus needles in his tongue... A lot of things to consider. Hopefully vet will know just what to do and how to fix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts