German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EXCELLENT VIDEO!!! Look how frequently and fast she's using the food!

Also shows why treats are NOT bribes but vital tools in training!

· Premium Member
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like using the clicker cause it reminds ME to reward with the food. Problem with me and just verbals is I tend to talk/chat/praise all the time, so kind of muddies the training waters with the THAT was what I wanted and NOW you get the reward. So the clicker makes me become a better trainer (which is amazily better for my puppies :) ).

It's the same idea though. Look at the puppy and it's attitude/engagement with the training. That's the goal and if you are getting that crazy attention and drive towards yourself and the training, and it continues as the puppy ages, then you are on the right track.

· Premium Member
16,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you know if a dog is well-engaged with the owner? I feel like my pup looks at the treats more than me!
The biggest sign of engagement is the pup is still with/on/ontop of you (not wandering off).

And when you get good at marking a behavior (and I have to use the clicker) FAST and clearly enough (using tons and tons of frequent treats) your pup will not only be with/on/ontop of you but offering behaviors with blazing speed (sit/down/sit/up/shake/sit/down/shake...).

Engagement is that the puppy wants to be with you and learning/playing WITH you more than anything else that may be going on in the big wide world around you! Once you have that focus and attention, you can do anything!

Specially if you are seeing it with NO leash and NO collar! The puppy is purely choosing to engage, when it could chose to leave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.