German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roxy is now 15 weeks old. I have had her for 4 weeks.

My question is about energy levels. I go back and forth on here about people saying these dogs have to be exercised all the time. But at this age..what do I do? Do I let her sleep or do I wake her up and make her play? It seems like some people think they need to be worked or exercised until they drop and other people seem to have laid back puppies like this one seems to be. I am not counting my chickens yet either ..I have read other posts about a calm before the storm..so it could be coming. But right now Roxy seems to like to chill out and sleep.
Don't get me wrong ..she has 2 good bursts of energy a day..and by that I mean...you better be braced or you'll be going down. She wants to fetch and chase and all of that stuff...but in between those 2 bursts she is mellow.

Yesterday was a busy day ...she had 2 pool times and then we had a friend over with a 5 year old so that she could be introduced to that age.

As for the walking..we live on an acre and half so we walk the yard a couple of times a day. I am trying to get the leash thing down waiting for her shots to be complete next week. Wednesday she gets her last round and also starts classes that night. Our town had an outbbreak of parvo and the vet said do NOT take her anywhere in town. Luckily we live out in a rural area and he said he knows the animals out here where we live would all be fine....BUT then that leads to another issue and I really think I need to wait for a structured setting like class to introduce her to other dogs.
she is in that skittish time...there are only 4 houses on our road ..so I have attempted to walk her up and down our road. It never fails we will just get started out...doing good and then a car goes down the main road and she belines it for home..dragging me with her. It's not rebelling..cuz when we walk the yard she does fine...the road and all that entales is what scares her. Which again I read is normal.

I guess I just don't know how much I need to force exercise on her. Do I let her sleep when she wants to sleep and lounge around? And assume she will know when she needs to run some energy off? Or do I make her wake up and drag her butt down to the yard run and make her run? :help:

I walk 3 miles at least a day and plan on taking her with me on those as soon as I get the all clear from the vet and hopefully this training class starting next week will help teach me how to walk her without her running back home.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You do NOT have to force exercise on her. If she's calm and laid back, then that's what she is.

If she's driving you nuts and bouncing off the walls, then you need to up the exercise.

Every puppy is different and we need to raise them differently by keeping that in mind.

:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you maggie -- I just want to do what's best for her. I've waited 40 years to have my german shepherd girl and I want to make it the best life I can for her.

we just came in from a nice game of fetch..she is getting really good about bringing her ball to me and dropping it.
I can NOT believe how smart she is...seems to catch on to everything in a matter of a couple of shows.
I would like to get some suggestions on other mental challenges for her. Are there other dog toys like kongs that I can get to stimulate her mind?

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
You could start tracking or nosework with her...great mental stimulation and dogs love to use their nose.
Perchwork(rear end awareness) is another fun exercise and pups need to work their brain to make the body move.
do a google search for perchwork, and several video's come up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts