German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few weeks I have noticed Stark's energy sky rocket.

He is restless, he is always wanting to play, to have the attention on him, and seems that his battery never needs recharging.

What happened to my mellow GSD puppy?

He gets a tone of exercise, mind stimulation, etc., etc., and always has, I have added another walk to his day (when I come home from school in the middle of the day) but he still seems hard to settle.

Like yesterday:

45 minute walk before I went to class
1 hour walk/hike when I came home from class - this includes some training between play sessions/walk
40 minute walk after dinner
20 minute ball/stick session at the bark
1.5 hour play session with his pals in the yard/park/greenway - non-stop running, stick catching, herding of other dogs

45 minutes -1 hour walk before bed

He came in and wanted to PLAY still!!! I was exhausted!

We also did some indoor training last night and did a few minutes of training sessions every time we went outside to potty (2-4 hours).

Ugh... where is this energy coming from?! Hahaha..

*I will get through this phase, I will get through this phase, I will get through this phase.....

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't help that our OB course has been cancelled until further notice either. That class would wipe him out... lol.

We do go to agility once a week and on those nights he eats and is out like a light though.

Haha..

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha.. I am not too worried, because usually we are doing other things (agility and OB classes) but this week and last we haven't so I have been trying to compensate.. lol.

I don't mind having a crazy puppers but it would be nice to be able to lay on the couch and take a nap without a wet slobbery ball landing in my face!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117I don't mind having a crazy puppers but it would be nice to be able to lay on the couch and take a nap without a wet slobbery ball landing in my face!
If you can afford it, I have a solution... DOGGIE DAYCARE. We do that a few days a week for Siena just so we can have that 'break'. Sometimes she still comes home worked up, but usually she's over tired and after repeated commands to "lie down" she gives up and is a flat carpet on the floor because she was exhausted but couldn't give up that one chance she could play ball.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Quote:*I will get through this phase, I will get through this phase, I will get through this phase.....
yes you will yes you will.

I have a blanket on the couch. I have a yard stick. I have a rag to wipe the slobber off on. I watch TV. Dipstick perfects his ball moves. Not that there's anything to perfect, he catches it every single time. I like to watch his eyes figuring out the trajectory...

·
Registered
405 Posts
http://bikerdog.com/
This has saved my life. Lenny is 7.5 and still 100 mph. Long walks don't cut it. 45 minutes of fetch after a long walk barely makes a scratch. I nice 2-4 mile jog beside the bike on the other hand does wonders. When we have time for all three she's out like a light.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: Lennyhttp://bikerdog.com/
This has saved my life. Lenny is 7.5 and still 100 mph. Long walks don't cut it. 45 minutes of fetch after a long walk barely makes a scratch. I nice 2-4 mile jog beside the bike on the other hand does wonders. When we have time for all three she's out like a light.
Will have to keep this in mind.

He is still too young to be jogging long distance (only 9.5 months) but when he is older I will definitely be biking with him, especially on our local trails.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
Quote:*I will get through this phase, I will get through this phase, I will get through this phase.....
yes you will yes you will.

I have a blanket on the couch. I have a yard stick. I have a rag to wipe the slobber off on. I watch TV. Dipstick perfects his ball moves. Not that there's anything to perfect, he catches it every single time. I like to watch his eyes figuring out the trajectory...
Haha.. I do that too!

I don't even realize I throw the ball anymore. It's like, "Oh, there is a ball in my hand".. haha..

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: DianaB
Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117I don't mind having a crazy puppers but it would be nice to be able to lay on the couch and take a nap without a wet slobbery ball landing in my face!
If you can afford it, I have a solution... DOGGIE DAYCARE. We do that a few days a week for Siena just so we can have that 'break'. Sometimes she still comes home worked up, but usually she's over tired and after repeated commands to "lie down" she gives up and is a flat carpet on the floor because she was exhausted but couldn't give up that one chance she could play ball.
This would be a good option if there was a daycare around that I trusted.

I don't trust my dog with too many people, just close family (sisters and grandfather).

There are a few around here but to be honest, they don't look like something I would feel comfortable having my dog at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts