German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have survived the first week with our new puppy Brembo :D I have to say that it has been the easiest first week of any puppy I have had. The best part is that she has fell in love with her crate, and stopped screaming entirely! The first 2 days were rather boisterous, but by day 3 the crying was down to 10 minutes after she went in. Now she goes in by herself (for a treat, of course :D) and doesn't cry at all.

I did wake up to a crate covered in poop this morning, but that was my fault. I had taken her out at 4am, but forgot to reset my alarm. When I woke up at 8am, I knew I was in for something. I was still shocked about the magnitude of the mess :eek:

All in all, not a bad first week!

The only concern I have is her appetite. We are feeding Orijen large breed puppy, but she does not seem too enthusiastic about it. She is eating 1 cup in the morning, and around 1/2 cup at night. She never finishes her dinner. I'm not worried, but hope her appetite pics up.

I am still considering what vaccinations I will give her. I have always followed our vets recommendations, but I am having second thoughts this time. One of our Beagles developed epilepsy shortly after his 18 month boosters, and I am really on the fence about what to do this time. Luckily I have a few more weeks to make a decision.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Awww, puppy!

Was the puppy originally on Orijen or did you switch her cold turkey? That could explain why her appetite hasn't picked up, her stomach is adjusting to the new food.

About vaccines, yes, it would be a good idea to do lots and lots of research. You could always talk to your vet and see what they think.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a cold turkey switch. I know that isn't the best way to go, unfortunately there was little choice. The food the breeder was using was a mail order brand (Drs Foster&Smith) that I could not buy locally. Had I known in time I would have ordered a small bag of it for the transition.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
It was a cold turkey switch. I know that isn't the best way to go, unfortunately there was little choice. The food the breeder was using was a mail order brand (Drs Foster&Smith) that I could not buy locally. Had I known in time I would have ordered a small bag of it for the transition.
I'm surprised the breeder didn't give you any? When I got Wolfie, the breeder gave me a 2 week supply of the food he was on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was both parties fault. They forgot to give it to me, and I forgot to ask for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts