German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to all this but I am desperate for help with my GSD!!
I got him from a breeder in January 2013, previous owner passed away, the dog just turned 2 at that point. He is sweet and not mean but for the life of me I cannot get him to listen to me. I have had a professional trainer come and help me communicate with him. He will do good for a day and then back to his old self. We go on daily walks and play afterwards. But I CANNOT do anything I need to do around the house, he either gets in the trash, counter surfs, gets into things with his nose! I am always cleaning up after him and can never get done with one task. I give him a lot of attention but my husband is getting upset because we have had to completely turn our lives upside down because of him.

I had a GSD years ago when my kids were young and he was an amazing dog, he was 2 as well when we adopted him from a neighbor. We never had any of the issues that we are having with the dog we have now. I have spent thousands, yes thousands, on this dog for food, training, equipment, medical care and I feel like I have no control over him.

He has a really bad habit of always using his huge feet!! He will throw them up on my lap, even standing up...I get close to him and he puts his feet on me somehow. I love him and dont know what else to do. Am I doing something wrong? Or do all GSD owners have to have no time to do household chores and cannot be one second away from them?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:confused::confused::cry::cry:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Crate him when you can't supervise him.

Continue with obedience classes. IF he gets in the garbage, put the garbage somewhere he can't get into it, 'puppy proof' your counters.

My biggest suggestion is continuing with obedience classes.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Do you crate him? I would also keep up with obedience classes, they train YOU on how to train the dog. What does the breeder you got him from say?

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
He needs less "attention" and a lot more discipline. He needs to work for that attention.

I agree with the crating, and would strongly advise to get an expen where you could put him when you need him out of the way.
I would also recommend NILIF immediately.
Nothing in Life is Free

·
Banned
367 Posts
First off make sure he's getting enough exercise. A bored under simulated dog will get into things and be extra rambunctious. If I leave the house for more than 3 hours I always make sure exercise mine first.

It seems like he doesn't see you as his leader. When you give him a command he just brushes it off. If yo tell him to sit he has to sit. Either on his own or you make him. If he counter surfs and you tell him off and he doesn't get off and there are no consequences then why would he get off? Just be consistent. Off means off. Also crating when doing chores is good. But only when he's bothering you. If he's leaving you alone then praise. You don't want to have to crate him forever while doing chores.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, THANK YOU so much for responses.
Yes I do crate him, its huge and in the kitchen. My other question is when I do crate him while I do chores and he starts to have a fit, then what? He will try to "dig" out of it (i hope he wont hurt himself) and he vocalizes that he is upset and crying. How do I discipline him while he is in the crate? Some people tell me that telling him "NO!" is giving him attention and thats what he wants.
I want to discipline him correctly, but not sure what that discipline is exactly? What did any of you do to discipline your dogs?

His breeder tells me to stick with it and be consistent. Which I am, I dont want to give up on him. I have a feeling he was not disciplined with his previous owner and he passed away, from what the breeder told me; his prev owner fell into a dried pool and died, I have a feeling that Kaiser (my dog) found him. So that explains his separation anxiety. Im not gonna give up.

My trainer tells me that ignoring him when he does something that I dont want him to do, like demanding attention or putting his feet on me, etc. Turn my back to him, a physical example of "I am not catering to you right now". Thats what she says.
I hope I am on the right track. Some examples of discipline would be great! Thank you all for reading and replying, it gives me more hope!!!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
As far as the crate...just like a new puppy that whines in the crate and gets ignored, so must your dog. Eventually(hopefully) he will understand and stop. Ignoring him for behaviors you don't want and treating him for behaviors you do want. There is a fine line and you must be careful not to reward for what you think is good behavior. For instance, he doesn't get a treat if he jumps on you, but as soon as all four feet are on the ground and the bad behavior has ended, you praise and/or reward.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
train and socialize. don't leave the trash where he can get to it.
you have to teach him not to counter surf along with everything
else. my dog is 5 yrs. old and he still puts his leg out when you walk
past. he doesn't do it all of the time but it's enough to make you
look out for it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wearing him out with A LOT of exercise will be a huge help in calming him down, and if you don't have at least an hour twice a day to walk him, try a flirt pole and/or fetch.

You might have to spend a little time getting him to like his crate by using it for short periods at first with awesome treats. I still get whined at if I try to "contain" her while I'm home trying to get housework done, but a bully stick or a chicken foot (or since yours is an adult, a marrow bone) fixes that. I don't think it's a good idea to "discipline" him when he's in the crate, because that's got to always be a good place for him. But don't let him out when he's pitching a fit! Wait for a settle, even if you elicit one with a treat, before you let him out, otherwise he's got YOU trained!

I tried ignoring Jedda's incessant jumping on me, too, but if it works, it was taking way too long for me! I'm having much better luck redirecting - when I see her gearing up or I'm in a situation when she ALWAYS jumps (like when I come home from work) I ask for a sit EVERY TIME. I can see her just struggling to keep that butt on the floor, and it's not 100% yet, but when she can hold it for a second I calmly say hi and give her a ear scratch (so I don't rile her up again).

A lot of the training books I've been reading have one kinda simple philosophy - if your dog's doing something you don't like, teach them a behavior you want. Not to brag, but my GSD is so incredibly smart, and heaven knows why actually really wants to do what I want her to do, that if you can teach him how you want him to act, I'm sure he will act like a GSD and learn quickly and want to act right! Good luck and do your best not to get frustrated and angry - another thing I read that I try to remember (When I'm getting frustrated and angry!) is to act like "Oh my gosh, you must be confused - here, do this..." instead of freaking out!

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Discipline, to me, is not punishment, it is not allowing the behaviors you don't want him to exhibit.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I may be suggesting something you already know about, but try the book "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller - she's the one that clarified the idea for me of teaching your dog to do something you want in place of a behavior you don't want. (Lots of other books had that idea, and so did the trainers in my classes, but for some reason her book clicked for me.) Luckily GSD's are so easy to train, you see results really quickly. :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Crate him when you can't supervise him.

Continue with obedience classes. IF he gets in the garbage, put the garbage somewhere he can't get into it, 'puppy proof' your counters.

My biggest suggestion is continuing with obedience classes.

^^^ all these things. Spend as much time as you can with him. I know its hard try not get frustrated be firm and consistent

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 9 month GSD ate my Roast Beef sandwich off the counter the other day. I was beyond livid but since I didn't catch him I couldn't correct him. Now I don't know about you but **** is it hard not to discipline after having your home cooked roast beef sandwich eaten. So I set him up. Had some nice turkey on the counter with a camera. My GSD had a e-collar on and I waited in another section of the house and waited. Sure enough he went counter surfing. But this time I caught him and had a correction waiting. My sandwiches have been safe since then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts