German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Pike
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pike and I hiked out a 4.5 mi. loop trail that goes to a very nice overlook of upper Looking Glass Creek, (named after Nez Perce Chief Looking Glass).

Got an early start in the cool morning air:

Plant Dog Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Land lot

Found some spring water along the way:

Plant Dog Carnivore Natural landscape Dog breed

I saw Pike alert to something and snapped a quick photo of him:

Plant Dog Carnivore Dog breed Tree

At the base of the tree, above, there appeared to be a ball of fur. I thought it was a dead animal, as it was not moving. I approached it to poke with my hiking stick. Got within about ten feet and it moved, turning toward me. It was the largest badger I had ever seen, a large, mature male. My first thought was Pike. He lunged at it, growling loudly, but kept his a distance. I began backing up quickly and calling Pike to me. The badger squared-up and Pike kept lunging toward it. I got about 50' back and with Pike just in front of me. The badger turned and waddled into the underbrush. We headed down the trail. I was unable to get a photo of it as this all happened in seconds and I just did not think to get the camera up into action.

This could have ended very differently if Pike had not displayed good trail discipline and devotion to me. He did not go after the badger, but planted himself between me and the badger. As long as it stayed back, everything was cool. Good boy!!

Whew, we went on to the rim. Steep ground:

Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Mountain

Pike got some water:

Plant Dog Dog breed Natural landscape Tree

Took in the view:

Plant Dog Plant community Dog breed Carnivore

Nice hike for both of us and a little side adventure, for both of us.

·
Super Moderator
9,274 Posts
Really beautiful there:) Good thing you and Pike had your wits about you and didn't tangle with the badger!

Reactions: Honey Maid

·
Registered
Pike
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The badgers I have seen before were culvert dwellers out on some dirt road. That one today was the first I have seen in the real wild (roadless). Very rare to see them out in daylight like that. Maybe he was sleeping and we surprised him?

My first thought and fear was my dog getting severely injured far from anywhere. Pike knows to keep his distance and not to pursue animals we encounter. Paid off, as I am sure if he went after it, he would not have survived. Scared the heebee jeebees out of me.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Beautiful pictures, glad everything went well for both of you. Good boy Pike.

Reactions: PNWBlue
1 - 11 of 11 Posts