German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emmas ball drive has suddenly improved. Its way up from what it was and she is doing excellent at fetch in the house with a tennis ball. She even will "Give after a few prompts. We spent at lease a half hour last night. Previously she tired after just a throw or two.

Two minor issues I dont know quiet how to correct. One is jumping at the ball in my hand when I an ready to toss. I have been saying off or no. I try to have her sit, but her energy level takes over:D

Second I am trying to have her catch it in the air. I have her sit then toss gently just above her nose. She just sits there and lets it hit her, :crazy: then goes and gets it. Should I try the one bounce on the floor - my golden loved that game.

Otherwise she is getting good at bring me her tug or other toys when she thinks it is play time - even in the middle of morning coffee - some day she will realize I need the coffee to play and bring me a cup to start:)

If there are any thoughts on the catch, I would appreciate it

PS I also appear I need to stock up on the tennis balls - the one we have is almost cover less.:D;)

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Just keep working with the jumping at the ball in our hand. Don't even say anything. Just stand there and wait her out until she quits jumping and looks at you: "HEY!! What are you waiting for! Throw it already!
Hold the ball like it is YOUR ball, not hers. Cover it with your full hand, hold it against your body. Wait her out - might take a long time at first!

For the catching, she is still very young for that. To tell the truth, some dogs NEVER figure out how to catch a ball - though I have a feeling your very smart girl will figure it out soon. I would just wait for her to get older and not expect it just yet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts