German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave her a bath :eek::crazy::rolleyes:

She tolerated the bath, but was wining badly at the end. I got her out (she climbed over me), had the towel on her, then she bolted with the zoomies around the house, barking and snapping at me (no real contact) every time she ran by. I did encourage the zoomies as that is a play activity. I did treat during and after the bath.

Now she is avoiding me, playing keep away every time I try to pet, etc, and she also is ignoring the come command.

Generally she is being an obnoxious brat, getting into everything that she can, and knows better.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I suspect she picked up on your hesitance/reluctance/weakness about giving a bath (why treat her for that?) and now is "feeling her oats."

Ignore her (no food either) until she comes to you, on your terms. Re-establish through your manner and tone of voice that you are in control. NILIF her a little bit to let her know who is boss. Reinforce the "come" command with some dedicated training asap. Life will return to normal.

Next bath, make it all business. Leash, sturdy collar, no treats, no food, no hesitance, no backtalk from her. Your manner should convey that we are doing this and I will not tolerate anything but full cooperation from you. She doesn't get to bolt out of the bath, either when it is over. Let her know it is over on your terms and timing, not hers. She'll get the idea.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
She is being a brat.

How about a bit of time out in the crate. And ignore her for a bit. When you let her out of the crate, continue ignoring her. Don't look at her, don't acknowledge her existence. You want her to BEG you for attention, LOL!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I followed the advice and ignored her for a hour of so. She did come up to be petted, but I just patted her once (usually lover her up ) and continued to ignore. She whined a bit and walked off. About an hour later she came up head down, and snuggled (with a whine) She was submissive, obeyed a sit and down command on Q. I loved her up good. So we are back to normal. Had a good session of fetch and tug. Later a session on basic training on the long leash (Come, etc)

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Good job on the ignoring! It is hard to do, especially when they start trying to get their own way again with the attention seeking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts