German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emma is now 5 months old. We have had no accidents in the house, and never in the crate, for well over a month - probably longer. So for the past few nights we have left her crate door open. We keep it at the foot of our bed.

Emma has chosen to occupy a spot right beside me on the floor, not her crate. With the exception of her snoring (could be the wife :eek:) no problems. She also has chosen this spot for her naps. She cant fit under the bed now:eek:.

I have inspected the bedroom each morning for issues, and only found a couple of minor issues that are our fault. She collected socks :crazy:, and got into the trash can for tissues.

But I am very happy with the results. It is fun getting up in the morning and having my feet land on warm fur. the toe licks are great to.:laugh:

However I have found the toe munches :eek: are better than coffee:D:D:D:D to wake up.

I am considering getting her a dog bed now, or do I need one?. Any suggestions?

PS where does your furry love sleep?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Congrats, that is a nice accomplishment. I have three dogs and I have three dog beds in my room. They kinda rotate on them or on my bed. They all get used at some point by different dogs. Mine don't have to be in the room with me and I hear them going to check things out in the middle of the night, but when I wake up they are all in there with me. Usually the GSD is cuddle right next to me with her face on my chest...what a wonderful thing to wake up to in the morning:)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Congratulations! That's awesome. All of my dogs have appreciated having their own beds even if they didn't need them. I found out papasan cushions at wal-Mart are cheaper than dog beds of the same size and fluffiness.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Usually the GSD is cuddle right next to me with her face on my chest...what a wonderful thing to wake up to in the morning:)

shame on you, you are training yr dog to have rank issues and it will prolly just "come up the leash" at you due to yr lack of pack structure.

:):)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
shame on you, you are training yr dog to have rank issues and it will prolly just "come up the leash" at you due to yr lack of pack structure.

:):)
Darn dog runs the house:D

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Darn dog runs the house:D

same here its embarrassing, my dogs know now when it's time for lights out and they will bolt to the bedroom to get the best spot on the bed, the same bed, mine, all four of them, and i'm like well where am i supposed to sleep, bassids don't seem to care.

mental note; i must "be the leader"

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
same here its embarrassing, my dogs know now when it's time for lights out and they will bolt to the bedroom to get the best spot on the bed, the same bed, mine, all four of them, and i'm like well where am i supposed to sleep, bassids don't seem to care.

mental note; i must "be the leader"
HA....at least mine wait for me to move the covers, they have learned that if they get up there to early they have to move....See you can train them to do some things.

You just keep saying your the leader, maybe one day you'll believe it;):D

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i swear if i passed my dogs only emotion would be one of inconvenenience that the servant is no longer serving them in a way they are acustomed.

more i think about it, the more i think FREE dogs for sale any takers, will ship. getting a cat instead.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Havoc guards the door or sleeps in his room--it used to be the quest room. It has a lovely hide a bed that I kept tucked away but Havoc prefers the bed out. He paces and whines if there is just a couch in there so the bed's been out for...a few months.

But the pit bull, we are strict with her. She's only allowed under the covers in the a.m. and has to spend the night on top of the quilt...right smack between me and my husband. She likes to sprawl. My husband composed an impromptu poem:

She is a bad dog
She is the densest dog in the world
Aghh! Paws on my butt.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Havoc guards the door or sleeps in his room--it used to be the quest room. It has a lovely hide a bed that I kept tucked away but Havoc prefers the bed out. He paces and whines if there is just a couch in there so the bed's been out for...a few months.

But the pit bull, we are strict with her. She's only allowed under the covers in the a.m. and has to spend the night on top of the quilt...right smack between me and my husband. She likes to sprawl. My husband composed an impromptu poem:

She is a bad dog
She is the densest dog in the world
Aghh! Paws on my butt.
Love the poem. Lol.

I agree x11, my dog does the heavy sigh when I switch room. I politely remind him that I didn't force him to follow as he falls slowly to the floor. Goofy puppies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My almost 6month boy has not yet proven that he can be trusted out of the crate at night. However, we did get him a great dog bed on Amazon that he uses for supervised naps (on the floor in the kitchen). I highly recommend the
Majestic Pet Extra-Large 52" Bagel Dog Pet Bed MicroSuede

Not sure if I did the link correctly, but the search words can probably find it on Amazon. It 's huge and soft. He seems to really like it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our pup has slept in our bed since the first week. She was terrified of the crate and none of us were getting any sleep. I had a trainer come in and she recommended just letting her sleep in bed with us and we'd keep an ear out for her whining to go out. Now that she's older and no longer waking during the night to potty she always starts in the bed, but will transition from the bed to her crate some nights on her own. We always keep our bedroom crate door open for her. We've never had any issues with her being destructive or getting into anything in our room during the night. She takes after my husband and I and LOVES to sleep. I should also say that our last girl Nalu slept in our bed too so this wasn't something new for us. We never had any issues with her not seeing us as pack leaders.

Now, during the day I wouldn’t dream of giving her that much freedom. She tries to get into EVERYTHING. At night she’s an angel though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts