German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been some year for veterinary issues! Nov 7th marked the one year anniversary of Logan's death. As many of you know, Tessa broke her leg this summer. Then when the cast came off, we found a horrible pressure ulcer with necrotic tissue. That is mostly healed now, but she is still limping and working up to full use of that leg.

Well, last night Emma ate rat poison. I just moved into a new place last week. There was a guy that was causing issues before I moved in, with drugs and stealing so he was just kicked out by the owner. Last night we were gathering up his things to move to the shed until he can get them. As we were doing this, a roommate found some empty trays of rat poison in a corner between a couch and the wall. I gave both dogs hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, and drove like a mad woman to the ER vet. I nearly wrecked, it was pouring down rain and my windshield was half fogged... But made it there. Tessa's vomit didn't show any traces of rat poison, but they said Emma threw up tons of neon blue and green. The specific poison they ingested interferes with clotting, so both dogs are on Vitamin K for the next 4 weeks to play it safe. There have been some cases where the dog didn't throw up any poison, but then had bleeding issues later. After 4 weeks we check their clotting times and if its normal they are in the clear. If its abnormal, more time on the vitamin K. The vet said there shouldn't be any lasting effects.

When you move somewhere new, check all over!!!! One of my roommates thinks he may have left the poison out on purpose, because he was angry for being kicked out and said we planted the drug paraphernalia. Also, I had her checking the garbage for the boxes as I drove to the ER vet. She couldn't find them, and there are 3 different types of rat poison with very different treatments. But on the trays, there is an EPA number that when the vet calls poison control they can look up exactly which type of poison it was. If she hadn't still been at home for me to call and ask about the trays I would have had to drive back probably. So if this ever happens to anyone else, bring the trays!

I got home from the ER vet a little after 3 am, and then was awake until around 10 am waking up the dogs every 15 minutes to make sure they were ok :crazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,294 Posts
Wow, hope Emma has no side effects from that! Good that you caught her and took action immediately.
What a trial you've had this past year. I hope 2011 is much better for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
Oh wow, I hope both dogs will be ok. How scared you must have been!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,933 Posts
Yes I had to do a 9 month stint on coumadin (bascially rat poision) which is a blood thinner given to patients with blood clots or strokes. Anyone taking it has to stay away from foods high in vit k.

If anyone ever suspect their dog may have ingested rat poision and can't get them to a vet for some reason get foods high in vit k down them, it will thicken the blood to counteract the blood thinner. However, they should get to a vet as soon as possible to get a full vit k injection.

Glad you caught what was happening and Emma is going to be ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
So sorry to hear you had to go through all of that!! I hope Emma is doing better and your able to take a breather!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,941 Posts
Oh my that would have been scary! I know there are others here that have been in a similar situation (moved in a new place - dog found rat poison left behind from previous tenent), and with the Vit K injections where fine, and are still here and posting stories.

But if it were me, I'd be up every 15 minutes checking on the dogs too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,033 Posts
That is scarey. Hope no long term problems. Good you were able to act quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
Thats terrible I would scour the yard and make sure there aren't any surprises out there either. I am glad you guys caught it immediately and were able to get some of it out before it was completely digested. I also hope 2011 is better than this year it sounds like you've been through the ringer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Thank goodness you found they had ate it before it was too late!

This happened to me as well, a bit after we moved into our new house. We hadn't cleaned out the garage yet (the past people left a lot of junk behind), Sigurd found some rat poison. We induced vomiting and he threw up a lot of blue chunks from the poison block. The ER Vet didn't think it was a big deal to bring him in since I induced vomiting, so we scheduled a normal Vet appointment. They gave him a Vitamin K shot and he was put on Vitamin K pills for 4 weeks too, everything turned out okay!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
It is true Vitamin K is the antidote for rat poison.

If you can't go to a vet, Mustard Greens have a very high amount of Vitamin K.

If you don't have the immediate availability of a vet, you can put 2 cups of mustard greens in a blender, along with 1/2 cup of water, and create a mulch ... that you can then mix with a can of tuna to enourage eating ... which will give your dog over 500 mg of Vitamin K to counteract the effects.

Good luck,

Jack



.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
According to the nutrient data base, 2 cups of chopped mustard greens provides 840 mcg of vitamin K, which would be 0.84 mg. The amount is decreased if not cooked. I'm wondering where that 500 mg came from?

I don't know what form of vitamin K works best for this, or what dosage is given: Rat Poison
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,553 Posts
I'm wondering how many people have mustard greens as a regular part of their pantry. As long as you have to go buy those, why not swing into CVS and just buy some vit. K?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the gsd dose is 100 mg a day for at least 3 weeks, longer if clotting times are off still. i wouldnt treat without a vet! and there are 3 types of rat poison with different treatments. one affects clotting, one calcium, and one is a neurotoxin. its not something to mess with!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the support everyone! It sure has been a bad year for veterinary issues. I forgot about Tessa's crazy allergic dermatitis in spring as well, we were back and forth to the vet for that as well.

The dogs are doing well! No signs of illness, I keep telling Emma she has no idea how lucky she is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,553 Posts
the gsd dose is 100 mg a day for at least 3 weeks, longer if clotting times are off still. i wouldnt treat without a vet! and there are 3 types of rat poison with different treatments. one affects clotting, one calcium, and one is a neurotoxin. its not something to mess with!
Thanks for that info Lin!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yw! I mentioned it in my original post, thats what I was talking about with the 3 types and needing the packaging so the vet can call poison control and determine which treatment to give the dog.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top