German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crazy:

Emma is 71/2 months old now, and never been around a big body of water. It was in the 80's yesterday so I decided to change our walk to go by the lake.

She has never been in the water (except baths) so I thought I would expose her. First we walked around and I threw a few sticks in (water is very shallow), She would go up to the edge, paw, but that was it.

So I took her over to the boat ramp/swimming area, (this is a small lake with only non motorized floats). There was a family on the plastic kyacks. Emma watched intently, acted like she wanted to go in and play with them, but did not bark.

So I rolled up my pant legs and waded in to mid caff level. Emma was on a long leash and I tried to coax her in, but no go. So I walked back and picked her up and carried her out to 6 inch deep water and put her down (water did not touch her belly). She freaked and thrashed (just like the tub).

It took about a minute and she settled down and just stood there right beside me, got a drink and started to paw the water. I took this as a good sign and edged out to deeper water, up to her belly. She followed to that point, but no deeper. She was very apprehensive, but did not wine or bark.

All during this time I was praising her and loving her up. I got her to sit, but she would not lay down like my golden loved to do. While sitting I got the rest of her wet (except her head), which she did not mind. She did not know it was a quick bath :D.

I did not push it past this point and she left the water happy ( did not run when I released her). The one thing I forgot to take was treats

My question is what is the next step to get her to swim. Do I take treats and a ball with me, or plan to swim with her. I don't want to ruin this for her. Right now I cannot take her off leash, so this must be done on the long line. She is easily distracted and head strong right now. We are working on this issue in our training class.

Ill be asking my trainer next Wednesday. As part of the class we are supposed to expose our dogs to something new each week.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Going in yourself, deep enough for her to swim to you my help. Or just play with her close to shore, throu ball in maybe little deeper. If she is having fun, she my swim without her to notice

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i taught mine to swim by swimming myself. i got about waist deep and just clapped my hands and called him to me. he ran in the water and swam right to me. thowing a ball in the water is cool but your pup will feel a lot safer if mommy or daddy got in and is having fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts