German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking earlier that my emergency contacts are not that great.

Sigurd is going to a kennel on Saturday for 11 days. I have my Mom, who lives in Ontario, and my so's parents, who are ultimately not dog fans (and live 2 hours away). My Mom would try to come here if something happened, but that's a long shot. My so's parents would probably give him to the pound.

I know nobody literally here, no friends, family, nothing. What would you do in this situation? I know nothing will probably happen to my so & I on our trip, but stuff can happen. I don't want to live life thinking the worst will happen... I mean, we left him in kennels for about 30 days together since we purchased him without issue. :help:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Actually, we don't have any local emergency contact either. The boarding place does have all our cell phone numbers and our personal policy is that if unforeseen events were to occur, at least one of us would hop on the next plane home from wherever we were.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I always leave my cell phone number as the primary emergency number BUT I also give them authorization if it's a medical emergency they can take the dog to the vet or ER even if they cannot contact me.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I also give them authorization if it's a medical emergency they can take the dog to the vet or ER even if they cannot contact me.
Yes, this too :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I'll be an emergency contact for you if you like. :D

I'm only 45 minutes away and I wouldn't give Sigurd to the pound.

To answer your question though- I'd try to find and make friends to avoid this in the future.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If I were you Sigurds mom, I would use my vet or pups breeder as my emergency contact.
Isn't Sigurds breeder located near where he will be kenneled? Karlo's breeder is on his microchip so would be contacted if something happened to me.
To take a dog to the pound? Thats pretty harsh!

·
Registered
529 Posts
well, I think I would A) consider DJEtzel's offer! But B) I would give the kennel, in writing, what your expectations in the event of an emergency would be. That would include your contact immediately (perhaps give them ur hotel info. also) and give authorization for medical treatment, but be SPECIFIC what that means. For example, my parents (who would be Dex's emerg. contact) are well aware that pharmaceuticals are only to be given in an emergency if other options (such as homeopathic) have not worked or he is in distress and that they can act as a substitute decision maker, if I am not reachable. I think that is all you would need for medical emergency. Now, if you have behavioral concerns that he may not do well in the kennel, that would be a different issue.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We are his emergency contact (if something were to happen to him), we gave them our cell #, e-mails and places we're staying at numbers. We also gave them his Vet information, just encase an emergency with him. I told them if anything bad happens to Sigurd, even if they can't get a hold of us, bring him to the Vet.

I meant more of emergency in the sense if me and my so got in an accident, death, etc, and we weren't able to go back to get him. I'd only want the best for him, and both my contacts are not that reliable.

Sigurd's breeder is about an hour away, I will put them down, thanks for the suggestion. (His boarding kennel is in Grand Junction). Sigurd microchip just has my information on it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
oh got ya....blond moment!!lol...hmm, that is quite the pickle! well, I would say the breeder is the only option if they agree to the circumstances under which they would be contacted....but, I think you would really need to discuss that with them. At least you know the breeder loves and cares for dogs....ur family sounds questionable lol!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm in the same boat. It's not just if something happens to you, what about the kennel? Fire, flood, owner has a heart attack, etc.
If we have to go somewhere, I take them to my dad's place along with boarding money. He takes care of the dogs as long as he can stand them (he has two of his own) and takes them to his kennel down the road when he's had enough.
If the dogs need to be picked up in some kind of emergency, he's right there and he saves me a bit of money by picking them up a day early :D

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Grand Junction and where Kolenda is located is only about a half hour apart. I would put them as your immediate contacts if you trust them to do well by Sigurd. Hopefully that would never be needed, and most breeders have first rights in their contracts if the dog has to be re-homed anyway.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quandry. I have plenty of friends, but none could really take or want the dogs. Either they have dog / s, or no pets allowed, or they just aren't dog people. I'm sure Jiva's breeder would take her. But Coco has no backup. Although as long as my daughter is able, anyone would be hard pressed to take her without her CocoBear. IF something happened to me, my daughter would most likely live with her Dad. He loves the dogs, but can't have them in his apartment and his partner is terrified of dogs. My kid would rather live w/ my sister in that event, but she's out of state and isn't a dog person.
I've seen so many cats/dogs in the shelter because of owner death or illness, it's so sad. I would NEVER want that for my girls.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have a similar problem. My friends and close family all either live in places where they can't have pets or that have a pet limit they're already at. My extended family have never met Bianca and would probably be scared of her.
I usually put my emergency contact as my sister, but where she lives the homeowners assoc. does not allow GSDs. The family members I live with would probably keep Bianca here assuming we were not all out of commission (we generally travel together) but I know they would get rid of my cats if I wasn't here or wasn't able to take care of them. Unfortunately my cats would have nowhere to go...

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
If it's any consolation, I just went away and we made it home fine! I was a nervous wreck. I have a letter for my sister-in-law to open if anything were to happen, with specific instructions for each pet. Bad enough with 1 pet, I have several. I actually wanted to start a business that would help people that don't have anyone to care for thier pets when they go. If all else fails the vet would be the one I pick, if the breeder wasn't an option. One of my girls breeders passed away shortly after I got her.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have an open letter to both my canine and my equine vets giving them premission to preform any medical means to keep the animal (s) alive until I can be contacted. I do have a friend who although is not the person feeding the animals is the person responsible to take them to the clinic. I trust her judgement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts