German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys ever feel like your dog is perfectly behaved when you're alone, but as soon as people are watching you, he/she goes nuts? P.S. I changed Hazel's name to Aspen for a few reasons so if you are wondering why our name is Hazel GSD, it's because you can't change it(let me know if you can!). So here is the story➡. So I'm walking Aspen and everything is ok, right? Then, I walk past one of my neighbors' house and the minute they look our way, Aspen takes off after a bunny?. I act all nonchalant and steady myself. Keep walking. Then, this Jeep drives by and she goes nuts again! So I decide we need a break. Aspen has an Instagram account so we take photos on walks a lot. I live in a really rural neighborhood so I can sit in the middle of the *dirt* road and not worry about getting hit. So I position her for a photo, keep in mind for the last half hour this street has been empty. And the minute I get in the road, here comes a car! So I veer off to the side and pretend I'm having a problem with her collar?. So anyway, that was our annoying walk and I hope everyone has a stellar Sunday! Tell me your stories in the comments!↘↙

·
Registered
866 Posts
I know this one's quite common...when he wants to sniff girls' (even guys')...…"area." It's even worse when it's that time of the month, and he's really persistent. He won't leave them alone. The embarrassing and awkward part is when you know that she knows that you know it's her time of the month....no thanks to the dog. I know it's normal behavior for them to get a good scent at that area. Nevertheless, it's embarrassing.

Here's another one: My pup is 11 months old. The embarrassing part is for the past couple of weeks or so, he's back to fighting me on the leash and sometimes the fighting leads to zoomies. It's embarrassing when he's running at full speed doing circles around me trying to pull my arm out of its socket. I've seen many people driving by, pointing and laughing. I'm sure it's really funny when I'm trying to get him under control. The defiant adolescent stage...fun times.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
There have been quite a few times. Adolescents can be a challenge. Adamant crotch sniffing guests was the first thing that came to mind- lol! As they matured that seem to stop. I think animals will always help to keep us humble!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When a car goes by, my dogs have to sit and wait. Try that. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

My first German Shepherd put me flat on my back at the feet of an agility judge. Nothing like a dog to teach you humility. lol

It's not something I see as a behavioral issue, I just think it's funny how she knows when I want to look "cool"?. I'll try it though!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know this one's quite common...when he wants to sniff girls' (even guys')...…"area." It's even worse when it's that time of the month, and he's really persistent. He won't leave them alone. The embarrassing and awkward part is when you know that she knows that you know it's her time of the month....no thanks to the dog. I know it's normal behavior for them to get a good scent at that area. Nevertheless, it's embarrassing.

Here's another one: My pup is 11 months old. The embarrassing part is for the past couple of weeks or so, he's back to fighting me on the leash and sometimes the fighting leads to zoomies. It's embarrassing when he's running at full speed doing circles around me trying to pull my arm out of its socket. I've seen many people driving by, pointing and laughing. I'm sure it's really funny when I'm trying to get him under control. The defiant adolescent stage...fun times.
Oh my goodness, I am so grateful Aspen doesn't sniff people like that!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There have been quite a few times. Adolescents can be a challenge. Adamant crotch sniffing guests was the first thing that came to mind- lol! As they matured that seem to stop. I think animals will always help to keep us humble!
They definitely mature, quite like humans(thank God)

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
When my big-boy was a big pup and got the urge for zoomies I always told him, "wait till we get home!" Not like he understood that.

What is Aspen's IG account name. I wonder if I already follow youl

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
When my husband was alive, we had a GSD rescue named Tasha. Now, Tasha was all about the nose. She was one of those dogs that would take forever to settle when you took her to a new place - EVERYTHING had to be sniffed! Sometimes, she'd jam her nose into the carpet so hard that the leather was bent back, so she could do a really deep inhale.

One day, my husband had let the dog out of the car, and wasn't paying very close attention to her as he looked for some other stuff he needed. He heard a voice behind him exclaim, "Oh, I love dogs, but this is TOO MUCH!"

He turned around to see Tasha had her whole head up the skirt of a lady who'd been passing by. Even worse, it turned out she was an off-duty police officer. She scolded him, saying, "Haven't you ever taught your dog the command 'no sniff'?"

Well since this was coming from a police officer (and not his wife!) he tried. WE tried. But telling Tasha 'no sniff!' was like telling her not to breathe!

We tried it with the visitor greeting crotch sniff she so loved to give to visitors to our home. The only thing it accomplished was she would wait until our guard was down, after the visitor had been greeted and hung up his/her coat, then she'd sneakily get in her sniff! :rolleyes2:

I've had quite a few dogs since Tasha passed away, but never one that was so determined with the crotch sniffing as she was!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
As far as my embarrassing experiences with my dogs, this one takes the cake!

The daughter of a friend invited me to take my dog to what passed for an off-leash dog park in their community. It was actually part of the huge yard surrounding the local High School, and it wasn't fully fenced, except along the perimeter.

Now, Ranger was used to the dog park I took him to in my own community, which had a proper fence and a few trees, bushes and rocks. This wide open space with nothing but grass was something new to him.

He started looking for something he could pee on. There were no vertical objects in sight. Oh, wait...LOTS of vertical people here! So, he lifted his leg and peed on someone's pant leg!

He was off leash already, and I guess he must have know I was upset due to my tone of voice, so he avoided me when I called him. He managed to nail three people before I could grab him and get him back on leash.

We then did a very long sloooow tour of the perimeter fence before returning to the group. Not surprisingly, everyone avoided us for the rest of our time there!

·
Registered
866 Posts
As far as my embarrassing experiences with my dogs, this one takes the cake!

The daughter of a friend invited me to take my dog to what passed for an off-leash dog park in their community. It was actually part of the huge yard surrounding the local High School, and it wasn't fully fenced, except along the perimeter.

Now, Ranger was used to the dog park I took him to in my own community, which had a proper fence and a few trees, bushes and rocks. This wide open space with nothing but grass was something new to him.

He started looking for something he could pee on. There were no vertical objects in sight. Oh, wait...LOTS of vertical people here! So, he lifted his leg and peed on someone's pant leg!

He was off leash already, and I guess he must have know I was upset due to my tone of voice, so he avoided me when I called him. He managed to nail three people before I could grab him and get him back on leash.

We then did a very long sloooow tour of the perimeter fence before returning to the group. Not surprisingly, everyone avoided us for the rest of our time there!
You had me in tears. That was great. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When my husband was alive, we had a GSD rescue named Tasha. Now, Tasha was all about the nose. She was one of those dogs that would take forever to settle when you took her to a new place - EVERYTHING had to be sniffed! Sometimes, she'd jam her nose into the carpet so hard that the leather was bent back, so she could do a really deep inhale.

One day, my husband had let the dog out of the car, and wasn't paying very close attention to her as he looked for some other stuff he needed. He heard a voice behind him exclaim, "Oh, I love dogs, but this is TOO MUCH!"

He turned around to see Tasha had her whole head up the skirt of a lady who'd been passing by. Even worse, it turned out she was an off-duty police officer. She scolded him, saying, "Haven't you ever taught your dog the command 'no sniff'?"

Well since this was coming from a police officer (and not his wife!) he tried. WE tried. But telling Tasha 'no sniff!' was like telling her not to breathe!

We tried it with the visitor greeting crotch sniff she so loved to give to visitors to our home. The only thing it accomplished was she would wait until our guard was down, after the visitor had been greeted and hung up his/her coat, then she'd sneakily get in her sniff! /forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

I've had quite a few dogs since Tasha passed away, but never one that was so determined with the crotch sniffing as she was!
Oh my goodness! Award for craziest story?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts