German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Ellie has some serious winter itchies going on. I feel so bad for her. I just wanted to see what you all do for your dogs when winter hits and the scratching begins, and if I should be doing more for her. Right now I have been running the humidifier next to her bed since yesterday. It doesn't have a humidity readout on it, so I'm not sure what the level is in the house. I have been adding a tablespoon of safflower oil to her food (along with a tablespoon of cottage cheese and some carrots). I just started the humidifier and oil yesterday so I'm sure any benefits wouldn't be showing up yet. A lot of sites say to bathe her with an oatmeal shampoo, but I always thought that bathing would dry her out even more. I'm not a big bether anyway. Um, for my dog that is! :p The only other thing she is on is a glucosamine supplement. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feed her Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish, 3 cups a day (split between 2 feedings). My vet said he thought safflower oil would work well and is so much less expensive then salmon oil.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
How about a raw egg mixed in? And brushing daily. I would think the humidifier would help quite a bit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a raw egg mixed in? And brushing daily. I would think the humidifier would help quite a bit.
How often should I give her the egg? How do I balance giving her the egg, cottage cheese (which is fat free) and safflower oil? Should I reduce her kibble?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Hi everyone,
Ellie has some serious winter itchies going on. I feel so bad for her. I just wanted to see what you all do for your dogs when winter hits and the scratching begins, and if I should be doing more for her. Right now I have been running the humidifier next to her bed since yesterday. It doesn't have a humidity readout on it, so I'm not sure what the level is in the house. I have been adding a tablespoon of safflower oil to her food (along with a tablespoon of cottage cheese and some carrots). I just started the humidifier and oil yesterday so I'm sure any benefits wouldn't be showing up yet. A lot of sites say to bathe her with an oatmeal shampoo, but I always thought that bathing would dry her out even more. I'm not a big bether anyway. Um, for my dog that is! :p The only other thing she is on is a glucosamine supplement. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Try coconut oil or naturally preserved lard. You can call it pork fat if the word lard bothers you.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
My mother-in-law swears by Hartz Soothing Lavender puppy shampoo for winter itchies. It doesn't get that cold here so I've never tried it, but she's seen visible improvement in her dogs.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've never fed cottage cheese- but I don't imagine adding an egg a day during the winter months would pose a problem.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I feed her Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish, 3 cups a day (split between 2 feedings). My vet said he thought safflower oil would work well and is so much less expensive then salmon oil.
That is a very bland food (and $$$) do you use it for a reason?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a very bland food (and $$$) do you use it for a reason?
It's grain free and reasonably priced (for grain free). She was on TOTW but decided she didn't want to eat it anymore. She can't have chicken and she used to be itchy all the time before we switched to grain free.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try coconut oil or naturally preserved lard. You can call it pork fat if the word lard bothers you.
I'm a vegetarian so both pork fat AND lard bother me!!:D I'd have to get my husband to do that! Is coconut oil any better than safflower oil?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
It's grain free and reasonably priced (for grain free). She was on TOTW but decided she didn't want to eat it anymore. She can't have chicken and she used to be itchy all the time before we switched to grain free.
Ok, just curious. The fat level is very low at 10%. Is she ok with eggs? Pork? Beef?

I wouldn't add any straight fat now that I think of it to such a low protein food.

I wouldn't call $40 - 50 for 28lbs reasonable for a 21/10 food but to each his/her own.

·
Registered
906 Posts
One of my dogs is on Natural balance and its the only food that works for her. For dry skin I would do a raw egg like Stosh said or fish oil and a vit e tab!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I'm a vegetarian so both pork fat AND lard bother me!!:D I'd have to get my husband to do that! Is coconut oil any better than safflower oil?
Coconut oil is better. I would rather add a saturated fat. Coconut oil is also very easy on the digestive system. It is digested much like a carbohydrate. Same for fresh lard.

Whole eggs might be a better course though. Sunny side them.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Coconut oil is better. I would rather add a saturated fat. Coconut oil is also very easy on the digestive system. It is digested much like a carbohydrate. Same for fresh lard.

Whole eggs might be a better course though. Sunny side them.
Oh, have you tried brushing everyday. That is a good way to stimulate oil production.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would do a rotation of salmon oil gelcaps/vitamin e and then every couple weeks give the organic coconut oil instead of the salmon oil. Eggs, yogurt and even a chicken leg 1/4 instead of a meal will help the skin and coat. But the humidity is key...make sure you don't have bacteria growing in the filters or water or you'll have everyone feeling sick. Look at the manufacturers instructions for keeping the wick\filters clean.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've never looked for coconut oil...where is it usually located?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It sounds like you are doing a good job so far. The humidifier is a good idea. I would think that with all you are doing she wouldn't be so itchy, I would try giving a bath. When I bathe my dogs I also put conditioner on them. But then again I use regular shampoo on them and conditioner and they don't have sensitivity problems with their skin...I would try a soothing shampoo and if they have conditioner for dogs I would definately give that a try.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, just curious. The fat level is very low at 10%. Is she ok with eggs? Pork? Beef?

I wouldn't add any straight fat now that I think of it to such a low protein food.

I wouldn't call $40 - 50 for 28lbs reasonable for a 21/10 food but to each his/her own.
I give her the cottage cheese for extra protein. I've never tried pork or beef. My vet did mention once that since she's sensitive to chicken that eggs may not be a good idea.
As for the $52 I pay for her food, it's cheaper than any of the other ones besides TOTW. If you know of something grain free that is less expensive please let me know!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts