German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 8 1/2 mo. old puppy an elk antler for the first time yesterday. He is a BIG chewer and loves to really gnaw on things. So much so that he broke three out of the four of his baby canine teeth. So far he LOVES the elk antler and can't seem to get enough of it. He chews on it, plays with it, shoves it in your face to play with it with him, etc...

My concern is that because he is such an aggressive chewer and the antler is so hard, will his teeth suffer? I know that some chewing is good, he just chews really hard! Does anybody use these for your dogs and what have your experiences been?

·
Registered
800 Posts
My Kain is 10 mos old and has chewed on deer antlers since he was 2 mos old with no problems. He loves them. They are the 'Everlasting Gobstopper' of dog chews :D. Just make sure all the points have been cut/ground off so that your pup can't injure himself.

·
Registered
391 Posts
where do you find them? is there an online retailer you order from? I've never come across them in our local places.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Kain is 10 mos old and has chewed on deer antlers since he was 2 mos old with no problems. He loves them. They are the 'Everlasting Gobstopper' of dog chews :D. Just make sure all the points have been cut/ground off so that your pup can't injure himself.

Awesome! Thanks, so far he's doing really well with it, He's really trying to gnaw at that marrow at the inside which is great! He chews stinkin hard!

You can typically get them at any petfood store that carries the higher quality dogfoods. The natural feed stores.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
We use elk antlers, deer antlers and moose antlers. Never had a problem with injury to teeth, they last forever and my dogs love them. We get them fresh from hunting and then save them in freezer to bring out, thaw and let them chew away.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Saber likes her elk antler. I got two from the farm/tractor store where I got her food. They had regular ones and split ones where they are cut in half so a pup can get at the marrow easier, she loves it. They were $4-5 each and pretty good sized.

·
Registered
800 Posts
How long do you simmer them for? I would be concerned about that changing the consistency of the antler the way cooking a bone does.
I simmer on a low heat for about an hour. It hasn't changed the structure of the antler in any way that I have noticed. No brittleness, chalkiness, or softness.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Interesting about the simmering. Although mine never lose interest until they are gone. I buy from Elk USA and have always been very pleased - they come exactly as described and quickly too! I buy the Large Elk Hard Chews.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ordered some mule deer antlers from here and Hank loves them! It was nice to support a small business as well! :)

The man I talked to said mule deer was the most popular so I decided to start with that.

$17.99 for a 3-pack and then I was charged actual shipping costs of $4.95. Very pleased.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts