German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting one of the Tubular Collars to replace the Eliz Collar to keep Heidi from getting her to the spay incision.

Anyone ever use the Tubular Collar? And, if so...how did it compare to the Eliz Collar. More comfortable, less? Did it work better, worse?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I know there are people who have made and used their own Bite Not collar.

I have used a donut type collar on my dog-it's inflatable (with a compressor) and quite comfy for her and for me (no back of the leg injuries like with a cone).
They sell it at Petco.

Drawback is that she could reach around it more easily than she could a cone, but it seems to be enough of a barrier for her. Of course, she is a senior and her issue is not the same as the itchiness of a new incision.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I've had a problem with all of the collars. The one that worked the best was an inflatable tubular one that I got off of ebay. Depending on what area you are trying to keep him from, it is easier to reach around it and get back to the tail area with this collar. Vet suggested putting two of them on, then she couldn't reach around, but it was considerable less comfortable because with two collars on her neck was kept pretty straight. I guess you can't really get around that with any device though. Good luck i just hate all of those collars! This is not the brand i got (wish i could find it) but it was similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PROCOLLAR-SIZE-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I've used both the Elizabethan and Bite-not, the Elizabethan works better to keep them from getting to any areas that they shouldn't, but its a killer on the back of my legs (getting gored when I stop before the dog following closely behind me does).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys have experienced the same things I'm dealing with, huh? Poor thing doesn't mean to ram into my leg, or the door frame or the wall. And, when she is sitting in her crate, she is like a statue. She doesn't even want to move for fear she will hit the side of the crate wall.

I've been keeping her gated in the utility room to keep her still, yet have more room to walk around.

Sounds like she might still be able to reach the incision with the tubular collars, tho.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I like the Bite Not collar much better than the eliz. collar but just recently had a TERRIBLE scare because of it. My Maggie (9 year old female) had a bite not collar on while in her crate during the day. She somehow managed to get it off and ATE the entire strap. X-rays didn't show anything. It was over a week before she started FINALLY passing it. We check poop and each time any comes out, we measure it to try and figure out when all of it has gotten out of her system. Why she did it, I'll never know. She's done these strange things off and on over the years but this was a real surprise. We are just thankful she is ok.
Robbie

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
You need to be sure the bite-not is fitted properly. I have seen dogs who get sores from it rubbing if it isn't fitted correctly. Often times at work, we'll let people borrow the bite-not. We just ask they clean it as best as possible before returning it.

Robbie - it finally passed?!!!! I think I missed that message
to Maggie!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Jen, Yep, an inch here and an inch there. LOL Still not all out by our calculations of measuring another Bite Not strap.
Robbie

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The tubular (bite-not) collar works better for us as it's not as bulky and prevents dog from walking off the deck because she can't see, scratching the walls with the collar, crashing into furniture, scratching up our legs, and what not.

I'm not sure if it's more comfortable, but having your peripheral vision is probably a plus for a dog.

It's easier to put on in my opionion and works just as effectively.

Hope that helps some!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
If you use an e-collar, I recommend the ones that the dog can see through. The vet always gave us those white ones that you couldn't see through, and my little dog would just freeze. She wouldn't move with it on. She did much better with the clear one.

For her last surgery we used the tubular inflatable one from the link above:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr...u=0027439000000

It worked great, but Indy's injury was on her shoulder. And it looked fairly comfortable when she rested her jaw on it to sleep.

Here's a link to the Bite-Not Collar: http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=000000000000241

1 - 13 of 13 Posts