German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about the successes of many of the pups on this list in Schutzhund and obedience, of some competing in agility and others gaining their CGC. I feel great pride in all their accomplishments and the positive light it shines on German Shepherds, yet at the time feel sad that my Shepherds will never be able to achieve such things.

So, here is Eli's brag. He is now 7 months old and has had problems with core strength, resulting in him not having the strength to walk, instead pulling himself round on his butt. Suddenly over the past 2 weeks I have seen a change (rehab works!), culminating last Saturday with him actually running round the yard with Spirit and Sam (video link below) ... not graceful or fast, but I'm as proud as if he had won Westminster.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
that is a huge accomplishment- a bigger accomplishment than most dogs will ever make in their lives
yay eli!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Go, Eli, go! Without your other dogs he'd never be doing that. You can tell how motivated he is to get over there and play with them.

Can Eli do aquatherapy?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eli hasn't done aquatherapy, although his brother does swim and go on the underwater treadmill. Once the weather get warmer I'm going to take him to the local lake (heaven help me!). The biggest thing that has helped Eli thus far in developing core strength is standing him on a rehabilitation ball and rolling it slowly, making him have to work his muscles to stay upright.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Does his sister swim (that's Spirit, right?) I wonder if he'll have buoyancy issues? I guess you can get him one of those life jackets for dogs. I am going to start taking Rafi swimming as soon as it gets warmer too. I hope he'll follow Chama in. That was a huge help for my other dog with HD.

I am trying to imagine him using a theraball!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, Spirit can't swim, I found that out the hard way last Fall when she fell into my neighbours in-ground pool. I had to dive in after her to save her. Being unable to flex her hindlegs she could only thrash round on the spot with her front legs. I have a lifejacket that Bonnie used to use, I'm going to try that with Eli but think he'll likely be limited to walking in the water rather than swimming.

Yes, the theraball is a riot - I have one of the peanut shaped ones and as soon as Eli is put on it he basically develops rigor mortis, standing like a statue ... Then he'll decide he wants to jump off, but in preparing to jump wobbles the peanut, so he freezes again. I should get someone to video him - may make it onto one of those funny home video shows.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Great job Eli!!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
That is awesome!!! Forget about SchH or any other sport, this is much more important and greater!! YOu must be SO proud!! What kind of rehab have you done with him???

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I'm very proud :) The rehab I have done has been geared towards increasing core strength and muscle mass. I do some ROM and stretching, followed by work on a peanut shaped theraball. I stand him on it and move it slowly, requiring him to use his abdominal muscles to stay upright. I also try to drape him over the peanut rolling it forwards and backwards.

From what I've heard, Eli seems to be ding better on the mbility front than his siblings. I wonder how much of this is my efforts and how much him simply having Spirit as a "sister". It is fascinating watching Eli as he studies Spirit and then tries to imitate her.

·
Registered
903 Posts
GO ELI GO!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
oh my god, wow, GO ELI GO!!!!
i cant believe it, i cried so so much. wow. i cant stop. what a beautiful site. i kept playing it over and over. what a wonderful prson you are. congrats

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
what dear, dear sweet dogs. i can understand why you would be so incredibly happy.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
How awesome is he!!! And so handsome

Way to go, Eli!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Way to go for both Eli and you. He's doing incredibly well.

Keep up the good work

Jackie

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What an absolutely wonderful brag! Kudos to Eli!

What an awesome job you have done with him.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have said it before, and will again, you are an ANGEL!!! What a wonderful job you have done with your dogs. They are adorable and full of life.......just needed that special person to believe in them.

Your video is so heartwarming!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts