German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It kills me to have to do this, but I need a new home for by pup. She is 9 months old, beautiful, and playful.

Unfortunately she is sick, and due to current life conditions I cannot afford to keep her and pay vet bills. She has soft stool all the time, peeing inside, eating her stool, and weight loss. I had her stool checked (negative), ran a dose of antibiotics from the vet, and tried stomach friendly food. Nothing has helpd.

She is pure bred and I have yet to fill out her paperwork, so you can do with it as you please.

I would prefer a home with other pets so she has someone to play with, and whoever takes her must be able to afford to treat her.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Have you contacted any rescues?

Have you tested her for EPI? SIBO?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
She is a beautiful dog.

Is there any way you can give us more detail about what's been ruled out and what is being tried to correct the problems.

There are a TON of people on this forum that have experience with about anything you can imagine when it comes to GSD's.
The more specifics you can give, the better the chances are that someone can point you in the right direction and maybe get the problem taken care of so you don't have to re-home the dog.

I would be interested if it were't 8 hours away and if I know a bit more about her problems.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
CassandGunnar - you can search her threads that she's posted. I know she has a couple regarding the problems she is having with the puppy. btw - she looks just like my Jax!

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
She really sounds like she could have EPI or SIBO at the least. Although, when Ursa had a constant UTI she also developed diarrhea and she always ate her stool. But I had her checked for EPI/SIBO and she was totally normal but the vet said that sometimes a UTI that is not treated will lead to diarrhea as well. So it may just all be linked to the UTI - if she has one. What type of antibiotics were you given by the vet and what dosage and for how long? Might be just not long enough or strong enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are my prior posts:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/149911-suddenly-pooping-inside.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/150584-wits-end.html

I had her stool checked for parasites (negative), changed her food (rice & pumpkin), gave her
Metronidazole (500mg for a week) which was prescribed by the vet. Nothing has helped, and I cannot afford to keep having tests run. It breaks my heart to give her to another family, but I would rather see her go to another home that can afford to make her healthy than to see her continue on like this.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Bump

Can anyone help this puppy?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Please contact the rescues for your beautiful dog!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had her stool checked for parasites (negative), changed her food (rice & pumpkin), gave her
Metronidazole (500mg for a week) which was prescribed by the vet. Nothing has helped, and I cannot afford to keep having tests run.
Have you tried Hills ID?

I'd also give her digestive enzymes. Try 'Prozyme'. You can get it at Animal feeds and needs over in Arlinton Heights:

Animal Feeds and Needs

You can also try giving her Metamucil ( I used the generic stuff from Walmart). That should help form the stool.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
So does she still have a UTI or has that already been treated? Metronidazole won't treat that if she still has a UTI going on. Can you call your vet and ask how much a TLI test would be for her? It's the blood test for EPI. If it's not too much maybe you could check that. Otherwise I think finding a rescue for her would be better for her than just trying to rehome on your own since she will need vet care immediately.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We are seriousely interested in helping this dog, but we just don't want to get "burned" again.
About 10 months ago, a similar situation popped up. A friend and coworker of our daughter had a beautiful GS puppy. 13 months old that was having problems. Her friend wanted to get rid of her because she couldn't hold urine and was having all kinds of accidents, drank water all the time and had runny stools.
Having seen the shelter where my daughter lives (3 1/2 hours from us) we said we'd help her out and look at her dog. (I thought UTI, no big deal to fix)
We set up an appt with a vet through my daughter and took the dog to see the vet.
No problem, it was a UTI. As soon as her friend found out that it was so easy to correct, she wanted to keep the dog.
We were disappointed, but at least the dog got help and we were only out a few bucks for a vet visit.
My place or not, I gave my daughter's friend a chewing out and so far, everyone is doing fine.

I guess I'd like to see at least one vet visit, to a better vet, to see if it is something correctable. I don't mind driving 8 hours to help out, but I'm not going down that road again.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Then get the AKC papers that she offered to give and have her sign a paper relinquishing ownership. It sounds like she is perfectly willing to do this and just wants her dog to have the medical help it needs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Elgin audie gsd

I live on the SW side of Chicago, am a Paramedic & I am looking for a 2nd GSD as a companion for my 4 y/o GSD . If you are still looking to find a home for Audie contact me at [email protected] P.S. If Audie was on Anti-biotics that can cause diarrhea like in Humans , it sounds like it could be a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) to me as well as others have posted here .

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Actually 500 mg of metronidazole isn't that large, it would be around the middle of the dosage range for a GSD. And metronidazole is frequently prescribed for diarrhea in dogs, it helps rebalance out the flora in the gut. Its also treatment for giardia and inflammatory bowel conditions.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Yeah when I had Kaiser on Metronidazole the dosage for his size was 2 500mg capsules twice a day. So 2000mg a day.

But it won't do much for the UTI if she had/has one. And it won't do a thing if she has EPI/SIBO. You could feed her 10 cups a day of kibble and she won't gain if she has one of those conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope the owner gets back to the poster Kevin. He is close, and has GSD experience. He will get the dog to the Vet ASAP. Regardless, I hope for an update!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts