German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Emma is full on in her stubborn stage. She gets two walks daily on the long leash and we have been working on the heal and come command (out on long lead and calling her back). Other than pulling when she sees something everything was good.

I thought we were doing great - then somehow she got of the leash. :eek: It took me 45 minutes to catch her - nothing worked, including her treats. :crazy::crazy::crazy: She finally cornered herself on a neighbors fenced deck, otherwise I would still be chasing. I am retired, with tender knees, so running is no longer my forte :D

This concerns me as before she obeyed everything, and now, I swear she sticks her nose up at me when off leash. Eventually I want her to be able to run free under control, such as a dog park, or the open fields around me.

One of the folks at the puppy social was getting a three way electronic training collar for their retriever to teach field commands (backup to hand and whistle signals for retrieving) .

I had never heard of this combination type collar. It is a Tone/Vibrate/Shock collar.

What are your thoughts on this as a secondary reinforcement for cumming, etc. I did not get the brand name either, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Meanwhile I will stock up on treats and keep working with the long line. Her next basic class is coming up at the end of the month, so possibly that will help too.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What kind of collar are you using on her? We have two collars on Diesel we have a prong collar and a choker. The prong collar is the main collar but it is attached to the choker just incase the prong collar comes off or something so there is a back up should something happen.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now it is a basic flat web adjustable puppy collar, but I need to get her a new on as she is outgrowing it. I was going to get a nice flat leather collar to replace (with good hardware).
Thoughts?

The collar did not come off, it was the leash (standard pull clasp type). We were trying to unlock a gate and she was tight against my leg (misbehaving a bit) I have been training her to sit before going through a door or gate and waiting for the OK/come signal to go through. her attention level is short sometimes, especially if I am working with the combination locks on the gates. She is almost 24 weeks old now.

Any thoughts are appreciated - Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
First, I have horses so this may sound weird to you but I use horse lead ropes as leashes. #1 they are less expensive, #2 I have an abundance of them lying around, #3 The snaps are a lot hardier and they come in different varieties #4 They are less likely to give me rope burn when pulled through my hands like a nylon leash would.... which leads me to this type of snap if you are concerned with it coming un-snapped a "bull snap"

The snap does not have a "lever" on it instead you have to manually pull the snap out giving it less likely hood of getting caught on something and unhooking.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sorry one more thing, Ecollar, if the dog is trained to understand what it is and what it means, I am told by our trainer it is the go to tool. I have not experience with it as we are not there yet my dog is just wearing it around as instructed by trainer with no use. So if you want to use it I would get with a trainer so you know how to use it effectively.. Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DOH!!!!!!:crazy::eek::)

Why did I not think of that - I have horses too. All my leads have the bull snap on them. I wonder if the boss unit will mind me borrowing one :rolleyes:

If you don't mind, which model Ecollar do you have?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The E Collar is an awesome tool you can use it more crudely like Gun Dog trainers or like an artist EX Bart Bellon just watch some of his stuff on youtube. Either way if done properly it can make an out of control dog extremely obedient very quickly if used correctly. It all depends what sort of things you have in mind for the dog.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I'd suggest that you take a look at the articles on my site. Http://www.loucastle.com/ They're written in a "how−to" fashion so that people who have not used an Ecollar can learn one way to do it. I happen to think it's the best way, but then, I'm prejudiced.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'd suggest that you take a look at the articles on my site. Http://www.loucastle.com/ They're written in a "how−to" fashion so that people who have not used an Ecollar can learn one way to do it. I happen to think it's the best way, but then, I'm prejudiced.
I am that untrained person! My girl has been doing really well using Lou's protocols, in spite of me. :D And thankfully Lou must have the patience of a saint, because I have endless questions that he always answers!
I would absolutely recommend looking at the website.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts