German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i'm looking for a good, used training collar; have a 2 yo gsd rescue who is a major barker; the "no bark" collar has failed, as has surgery to de-bark him; he LOVES to bark and he does, despite exercise, distractions/diversions, other dogs...i've tried everything and have consulted other k9 handlers, all to no avail

now i'd like to try a collar that i control and see if i can make an impact; i'd also like to be able to use the collar on other dogs for other reasons (schutzhund training)

if you have a good dogtra collar that you're interested in selling, please pm me

thanks,
ellen

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
As a bit of an aside for your collar quest (and I like and use the e-collar) I'd say the situation as you have described it would work out better with strong 2 prong approach WITH A GOOD TRAINER.

I only use the e-collar to refine training my dog already knows. And it sounds to me like your dog hasn't even learned the 'quiet' command yet. So if your trainer isn't able to help you, get another one. And if you still need an e-collar then, only use it with the cooperation and assistance of the new trainer.

I know that if I'm with my dog in the house and same room and my dog isn't listening to me (like to stop barking) there is a whole lot more going on than just the barking. So that would be why the surgery (first time I've heard that on a GSD?) and bark collar failed. They just are for what you are hearing (the bark) NOT for the problem (why isn't your dog listening to you and stopping when asked to?)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Are you serious, you de-barked this dog.

When a dog is debarked it sounds more like a yelp then a bark. We had one at the border collie rescue I work for, I felt so sorry for him, he was only trying to communicate with use.

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
Originally Posted By: mjb03Can't believe the de barking surgery isn't banned. VERY SAD>
Why, sometimes barking can be a major issue. The surgery is as safe as any surgery can be and can sometimes make the difference between somebody being able to keep a dog and it going to the pound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excessive barking is usually a sign of serious frustration on the part of the dog. Surgeries and even training will not solve the problem. You can condition a dog to not bark, but they will channel that frustration into some other neurotic behavior. A dog that barks all the time for seemingly no reason is basically saying, "I have pent-up energy that I need to release in a healthy way". If I had to guess, I would say that you have a big yard that he runs around in all day, but he doesn't get structured exercise--ie: a walk of at least 45-60 minutes walking in heel. Your dog needs to be challenged both physically and psychologically, or he will never be happy, and neither will you.

The E-collar is a tool to be used by someone who is the pack leader, not as a quick fix because nothing else worked.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Stifling this dog is not what he needs, he is begging for your increased involvement and excersise.

The answer lies in devoting more time to structured outlets for both his body and brain, such as flyball, agility, freestyle obedience. This is not a dog for a casual owner, he really needs-- and is begging for-- MUCH more of your time in participating with him in sports, classes, jogging beside a bicycle or long leash walks are all ideas.. but he needs you to be more involved with him in activities that engage his body and mind.

This is definitely a dog who will suffer-- and say so-- with a normal, casual owner and a nice fenced yard to get frustrated in. GREAT opportunitiy to get involved in fun sports and classes with him!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfStifling this dog is not what he needs, he is begging for your increased involvement and excersise....

This is definitely a dog who will suffer-- and say so-- with a normal, casual owner and a nice fenced yard to get frustrated in. GREAT opportunitiy to get involved in fun sports and classes with him!
100% agreed and well said. A GSD is a high drive, high energy, WORKING dog. They need to be challenged. If they are not, they will redirect that energy into a negative behavior, such as barking, aggression, or neurotic obsessions like chasing their tail, etc. I would suggest daily long walks with the dog while he wears a doggie backpack. These dogs want jobs.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Originally Posted By: ellen366i'm looking for a good, used training collar; have a 2 yo gsd rescue who is a major barker; the "no bark" collar has failed
There are some dogs that can't be stopped from barking with the bark collar. They're either too driven to bark or there's something in their environment that overcomes the discomfort that it brings when they bark.

If the bark collar has failed I don't see how you'll have any different results with an Ecollar. The only difference is that on the bark collar it's activated by the dog's own bark. This makes the timing perfect.

The Ecollar is activated by you pressing a button. Even if you have excellent timing it's not going to be as good or as consistent as the timing of the stim from the bark collar.

Most barking problems can be solved by giving the dog a job. Basic OB often does this, no matter what method is used. Does this dog have basic training done?

Originally Posted By: ellen366i'd also like to be able to use the collar on other dogs for other reasons (schutzhund training)
This is another matter completely and I'd suggest that you read my articles on the use of the Ecollar at my website (see my sig line) AND check with your club director.

For a good used Ecollar you might try http://www.Collarclinic.com They have reconditioning Ecollars.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Originally Posted By: K-9packleaderVAExcessive barking is usually a sign of serious frustration on the part of the dog.
There are many reasons why dogs bark. I'd suggest that you take a look at http://loucastle.com/bark

Originally Posted By: K-9packleaderVAThe E-collar is a tool to be used by someone who is the pack leader, not as a quick fix because nothing else worked.
I'll disagree that the Ecollar should only be used by a pack leader. There's no reason that anyone, pack leader or not, can't use the tool.

If "nothing else has worked" the bark collar or the Ecollar is a perfectly acceptable response. It makes little sense to keep doing the same thing over and over if it hasn't worked. And the Ecollar is hardly a "quick fix." It gives longer lasting results than just about any tool.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for some words of wisdom and sanity; this dog is a rescue and i have no info about him; he has many behavioral issues, most of which i've resolved; but the barking remains; i imagine all of his issues, including his barking are the reasons the owner so willingly parted w/him after i made the right financial offer (the dog was tied to a tree on a 3' rope, no shelter, no food/water and very thin); he's come a long way since i took him in and i hope to fix this barking problem

he barks for the sake of barking; for ex, he'll walk into his crate and just stand there barking...no reason; he continues to do obed, i have agility set up in the backyard; we walk; we exercise; he just LOVES to bark; i think he understands the command "no bark" but he really seems to love barking; it's not very humerous however in the middle of the night when the world is trying to sleep, :-(; btw, he rarely barks outside the house, only indoors

i have read everything i can about barking dogs; i understand about boredom and needing to keep a dog challenged, needing to burn off energy; that's not the problem; i will check out your link; thanks again

ellen

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
While it truly sounds like you have done alot of work with this dog, I'm thinking that some real CONCENTRATED professional help for you and the dog would be a huge help.

Any and more training (with a trainer and in a group if you can). Clicker training would be fantastic. But dock dogs, herding, tracking, obedience, rally, agility, and way way way way way way way way way more 'real' off leash exercise if you can do it. Frisbee, chuckit, hiking, swimming, hiking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.

To REALLY tire your pup out. REALLY teach him that you are on his side working with him in a fun way. Both of you learning the skills needed for this new challenge in your lives.

Truthfully, a good positive based trainer (NOT correction based) would be much better in this case. So teaching things you do want so you can reward. And I'll bet when you do get the right mix of exercise, and professional training, then you can start backing off on everything as he get's more normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts