German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an e-collar (brand, model) that you have had success with?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a dogtra 1902 and love it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have the Dogtra 282 and like it very much!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just got the Tri Tronics GS Sport 3, but have not used it yet (still acclimating him to the collar for a couple weeks). Seems like a good quality product. I've also heard good things about the Dogtras.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
The best price I've seen for collars is on http://collarclinic.com/ great service too. I've purchased their re-conditioned collars and they came like new and worked well.

I've always been pleased with the Tri-Tronics Sports Series...

The most important thing about the collar is really about the training. I personally wouldn't have used the collar at all without the assistance of a hands-on great trainer. Though the collars come with a book and DVD/video that are great, I know people tend to NOT read directions and take short-cuts in training. Which can really mess up the training with the e-collar.

Good site with directions is http://www.loucastle.com/articles.htm

I know I only use it for the 100% reliable 'come' (crittering is usually the issue without the collar) and a 'leave it'.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a Dogtra that has worked great. No problems, easy to use, digital display, waterproof. I'd also second the recommendation for Lou Castle's website.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm using a dogtra 200. Nice little collar. The transmitter (the thing you hold) is only water resistant, so on rainy days, you need to keep it dry or put it away.
I use the collar same as Maggie Rose. It gives my dog major chunks of off-leash free in the woods time that wouldn't otherwise happen. I'd suggest getting the best collar you can afford. You will have it for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:It gives my dog major chunks of off-leash free in the woods time that wouldn't otherwise happen. I'd suggest getting the best collar you can afford. You will have it for a long time.
Exactly why I love and use the e-collar! For the freedom it gives my dogs and my confidence about not worrying about the dogs.

The reason you have to pay a bunch of money for the best collars is because they really are much higher quality. Both Tri-Tronics and Dogtra are used to training hunting field dogs, and that's including the dogs that swim when they retrieve! So as far as the collars ability to work well in water, well they certainly do!!!!!

Another good article for training is http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/obedience/rffcome.html

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yes, Dynamo goes swimming daily in summer. Collar is waterproof. All dogtra collars are waterproof, and I'm guessing the same goes for tri-tronics too. Transmitters (the thing you hold, or wear on a lanyard around your neck) are 'water-resistant' in the low end models. That means, if your dog shakes water at you, it's fine. If it starts raining, it's fine, if it's misty, it's fine, but you definitely do not jump in the water and go swimming with your dog while wearing the transmitter. I put mine away if it's raining hard (sometimes just baggy it). In an ordinary rain, I put it under my shirt. I don't regret buying the 'water-resistant' as it rarely gets so wet out that I need to worry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts