German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,951 Posts
Haven't needed one yet, but I am not opposed to them either especially when you are mixing in positive reinforcement and issuing a warning as well before the shock. I have used my mom's dog's EC on me and though it wasn't pleasant it didn't hurt either:)

· Registered
2,951 Posts
Have you considered a fence? My DH just rebuilt the in-laws fence dirt cheap and being 3 completely unsocialized Akita's moved next door it has been a literal life saver. I don't and never have lived in the country, but I have traveled a lot and understand homes without fences are common in more rural areas- however, once you own a dog a fence becomes pretty important especially when there is close neighbors with animals themselves and roads with traveling cars. Even the best trained dog may forget to stay in the yard, and other dogs may not be as friendly as yours especially as he ages and his manly hormones kick in. I would invest in a partial fence at the least where you give him a small fenced in area to potty and play safely if fencing the whole yard is not an option:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.