German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
25,396 Posts
I don't use one, and don't condemn them. BUT a 6 month old puppy should have other training methods than the use of an e-collar, IMO. Especially one that is food motivated. I think it is a lazy way of training for certain circumstances.
From this statement, it sounds as if your dog is wearing it more than a few hours?
I only use the EC as a reinforcing tool and never a punishment tool. I'll crank it up when he's doing something that may cause him harm....like going to taunt the two pit bulls next door, trying to run into the road, and chasing raccoons and coyotes, etc. Around the house for annoying issues, it's set to a minimal setting at best. Of course, we all have used it on ourselves at different settings to experience first hand what we're doing to the dog.
I don't agree with a dog wearing the collar constantly, it is a training tool and should not be worn if not in a training session.
And this statement shows there are better methods to use with your pup:
But recently I've found that I get the best results by using his favorite toy as a reward when he follows my commands.

· Registered
25,396 Posts
Then when you get into a trial and the dog is looking back at the handler or flinching because they expect to be nicked. It is obvious who uses them and who doesn't while training. I don't have a problem with them, but they should not be used on a 6 month old pup, there are so many other methods of training and the e-collar is one I would wait on(prong as well). If other methods aren't working at least you have something else in the tool box, but I would first question my methods before resorting to the last resort. JMO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.