German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our fifth and final verbal command to master this week. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to lure Jack into position. At my wits end. Please help!!

I'm luring down and back between his front paws, but he goes cockeyed. He just can't figure out what the heck I'm asking him to do.

Tips please!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
You trying to teach down/drop? Handful of food and push it towards his nose and then down towards his chest and to the floor.

Ill record tonight and upload. It's like if you push towards him and down he has to drop so his nose can follow. Good for IPO to cos they don't move forward on the drop. More the back end moves back.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think she wants a fast down where the dog drops hard??? Im not sure but I think you get that via drive. Build the drive up and the sits and downs get very sudden and correct.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think some dogs just pick up some commands faster than others. Roxy learned down in about 5 attempts at it. NOW my problem is if I'm doing obedience with her she thinks if she does down before I tell her she still gets a treat. so she's too quick with the routine and I have to really mix it up...and try not to laugh cuz she wants to shortcut everything

·
Registered
874 Posts
have you tried to find some youtube videos? that tab guy ( just search train german shepherd) ..he's really good with the basic commands and teaching them ..he goes by tab something

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think she wants a fast down where the dog drops hard??? Im not sure but I think you get that via drive. Build the drive up and the sits and downs get very sudden and correct.
Yes. I want a fast down, elbows first. An IPO down.

I have a low drive rescue.

I ruined him with a lazy butt-first down and am trying to start over with a competition down.

I'm luring down and straight back, he's compensating with a sideways follow, still butt first :(. I'm not rewarding, and he is crazy confused.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you tried to find some youtube videos? that tab guy ( just search train german shepherd) ..he's really good with the basic commands and teaching them ..he goes by tab something
That's a good idea. Hitting YouTube!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think some dogs just pick up some commands faster than others. Roxy learned down in about 5 attempts at it. NOW my problem is if I'm doing obedience with her she thinks if she does down before I tell her she still gets a treat. so she's too quick with the routine and I have to really mix it up...and try not to laugh cuz she wants to shortcut everything
Yep. Sounds like Jack. He wants to sit first every time... Cause that's all I ever expected. Now I'm starting over with him, and bless his heart, he doesn't get it. I know it's My Bad :(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You trying to teach down/drop? Handful of food and push it towards his nose and then down towards his chest and to the floor.

Ill record tonight and upload. It's like if you push towards him and down he has to drop so his nose can follow. Good for IPO to cos they don't move forward on the drop. More the back end moves back.

I'm doing that, but he twists sideways. Tries to jump over and around the lure. I need maybe a wall or something?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Low drive for food? Low drive for toys? Can you get him amped for anything?

I would say get him amped for something then use that for the reward. It can be anything, heavy praise, food, toy, chest thumping, doing a jig together, whatever. Figure out what motivates the dog. You have to be very quick. If he hesitates, reset, get him moving and try again.

You won't get a quick drivey down without teaching the dog to work in drive. So you need to tap into a drive the dog has.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm trying to get him amped. He aims to please, but I can't quite call it drive. We're on some serious NILIF. Three fails, and he goes back in the crate. Five mins, then back to "Let's Work!"

He's trying. Just not hard enough. I'm withholding. He is working for every morsel. We have a nice sit, twirl, spin, and place as of today. The dog is dropping pounds in his efforts. Just no drop :( He can do this, though. I just need to be able to get him there once. I need help with positioning. I'm going down and back between the paws. He doesn't understand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once he knows the command and you can execute it with high energy the dog will perform with high energy. You have to walk before you can run...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Once he knows the command and you can execute it with high energy the dog will perform with high energy. You have to walk before you can run...

So maybe I'm asking too much right now. We're still building drive. Maybe I can leave this command and keep focusing on attention and follow me and pick it up again in a couple of weeks?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
try that video I posted for you ...tab is amazing with his training ...
I watched. And I've seen that trainer before and respect him. But he's teaching a bottom first down. I need an elbows first down. How to lure an elbows first position.

Thank you, though!

·
Super Moderator
32,676 Posts
I watched. And I've seen that trainer before and respect him. But he's teaching a bottom first down. I need an elbows first down. How to lure an elbows first position.
Why?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just thinking... If your dog wants to sit first, teach it to stand... then when they sit, tell them to stand.. and from the stand they will wait for next command (will help later down the track when you are going to mix it up)... Furthermore nothing wrong with "na-ah" or a softer "no" to tell them "you haven't 'quite' got it .. but you're close... my guy responds to that really well ... like "hrm.. i did what he asked but why arent i getting a treat... i'll try it faster next time.. or i'll try be straighter next time"...

if you want elbows down first why not teach it to 'beg' first (ass in the air) and then progress the trick to the full drop? exactly like we teach them with dumbbells.. to touch first before we get them to hold... ? same theory i think -- sorry i'm rambling now :p

Do a drop? use a second person to hold his ass up while you apply pressure to his shoulder blades to assist him in dropping his front end down first? -- sorry again just going through other options...

-

Good luck! :p I taught my guy to "touch" my hand with his nose today... using the command "Hier" .. then i moved further away and he came to me (wherever i was) and touched my hand with his nose.. then i removed my hand and he realised he was still getting treats by coming to me... "Hier" taught...

*be creative* :p

1 - 20 of 62 Posts