German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I am new to this forum but looking for some insights on ED.
I have 11 month old GSD who was diagnosed with UAP and concurrent fragmentation of the left medial coronoid. Surgeon suggested Ulna Osteotomy to help fuse the elbow. Arthroscopy was performed as well.
He did pretty well and he was recovering pretty nicely. This was a last week that he was supposed to be crated. But couple days ago he started limping:( today was horrible day. He was in so much pain:( I took him in to the vet for another x-ray and it showed that everything is ok. He gave him Metacam and some painkillers. Why is he in pain then?
Does anyone had any experience with this problem. Help!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi

My pup had the same surgery at 4 month old.
It's major surgery, you have to keep in mind that they have actually surgically broken his leg!
Mine was on painkillers for over a week if I remember correctly.
You have to keep him as quiet as possible as hard as that is.
The pain helps to limit his movement, so be very aware that when he has been dosed up with painkillers he may not be limping but the damage is still there.
He will be more inclined to move on the "sore" leg because he can't feel the pain and do more damage to it. (obviously you don't want him in excruciating pain but it's ok if it hurts a little).
He may have just tweaked his leg somehow, perhaps used it a bit much, because it was feeling better.
You've done the right thing having him re x rayed and having the vet check him.
Is he in plaster? Is he eating his food?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts