German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a natural idea (because I am unable to get American products here in Germany, but can get stuff like Vitamin E oil, witch hazel, etc.) to help fur re-growth on elbow callouses, not just make the callouses softer.

Any natural substances to help re-growth of fur on elbow callouses? Ideas?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Hi Patti. My first thought was Biotin. Steel had a bald spot on his neutering area. After 9 months of Biotin - he's very furry down there.

But it didn't do anything for his elbow callouses. He prefers to sleep on the floor. I think if you could stop the behavior that's causing the elbow callouses, the Biotin might work.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's laying on the floor and that's what's causing the elbow callouses.
Just like Steel did! Thanks for the idea though, Joanne! (Hi, Lady Jane!) Grimm probably, I think,might be getting already lots of biotin in his raw diet, plus he gets those dusty, stinky brewer's yeast tabs.. I think the hard flooring is the cause of the callouses.

I am hoping for a natural remedy to put on those callouses to make the furries grow back!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I recently read that low zinc may contribute to elbow callouses.

If the biotin is coming from raw eggs, then it becomes bound and unavailable, to some extent.

I would find a zinc & biotin product to try if you can.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lisa, guess you mean as a supplement for his food. Does anything help when applied externally? (to get the fur to re-grow)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I read *somewhere* that Biotin is absorbed through the skin just as effectively as taking it internally. I *think* Biotin is available as an ointment. I know zinc is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts