German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trainer's personal vet had a bloodtest done on my puppy this wednesday and today we were told the results & he came up positive for Ehrlichiosis just one + tho. Everything else seemed just fine. According to the trainer he hasn't shown any symptons thus far...

I know that when he started the BO he lost appetite for a few days and also weigh but we didn't think of anything else but only that it was because he was staying in the trainer's house, & he's been running like a maniac there :laugh:

He had eczemas, we treated him everything seemed okay and now this..:smirk: Im reading that sensitive skin and rash are one of the symptons..

My trainer did the bloodtest because he's about to finish his BO training and because he has a Bleeding Gum :confused:(No idea if that's related or what, maybe with "spontaneous bleeding" i dont really know)
We were told that we shouldn't worry that it's "very" common in such breeds and rottys....:smirk::smirk:

Although It's only one + she wanted to treat him for 20 days :rolleyes:. She tells me that one of her dogs came up positive for it, also with one + and that the dog is okay.

We'll check him with our vet when he's done with his BO training. Im worry because I don't know how bad it is. He's being treated with doxiciclina, 100 mg per day..

I just can't wait to pick him up this wednesday...:crazy:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My female Omy had it too, when she was very very young and managed to beat it. Be sure to keep an eye on him because it can settle in the liver and he can relapse. TIck diseases are very serious and life threatening. Do you use a flea/tick preventive?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I use frontline and he's also wearing the preventix collar (I think that's name I don't really remember).
And yep..I know they're very serious:( we'll make an app with our vet & see what she says. And we'll for sure keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..Typo

Yes, I use frontline and he's also wearing the preventix collar (I think that's the name I don't really remember).
And yep..I know they're very serious:( we'll make an app with our vet & see what she says. And we'll for sure keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You might want to check the symptoms of Ehrlichia to see if bleeding is one of them. Bleeding is another symptom of another fairly common problem in dogs and that's Von Willdebrands disease.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hopefully Lisa T will see this. She's the expert on tick diseases and treating tick diseases. I know you're supposed to use doxy and I think you're supposed to treat for a month but I'm sure she'll be along to confirm that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Elaine I've been reading Lisa's Articles and one of them says that spontaneous bleeding is one of the Symptons.He has a bleeding gum, I don't really know if that'd be considered as spontaneous bleeding though. I've noticed it when I go there to play/work with him. And I've to add that according to the trainer it's not always bleeding one day it'll bleed & another won't though, I'm not 100% sure because he's not with me & who knows what's he's doing there..
I haven't read about Von Willdebrands diseases but I will.

@LisaT 29KGS(64LB) when he was 6MO he's 7MO now & no idea how much he weighs now..

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
When my Omy had it, she also contracted parvo- apparently she already had erlichiosis when she received her first rounds of vaccinations so she wasn't fully protected. Then she had mange. It was a mess! But like I said, she did survive and lived 12 happy healthy years. Best wishes to Helios, he's such a beautiful boy

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Elaine just read this:

What are the symptoms?

Excessive bleeding is the main symptom. Bleeding generally occurs after a wound or surgery. In these cases, the blood simply does not clot in the normal time, and bleeding is extensive. Dog's with Von Willebrand's disease may also develop nosebleeds, or bleeding from the gums. Bleeding may also occur in the stomach or intestine in which case the stool may either have blood in it, or be black and tarry. Some dogs will have blood in their urine. Bleeding into the joints also occurs, which can cause symptoms similar to those of arthritis.

The diagnosis of Von Willebrand's is made through a test, which checks for the level of Von Willebrand's factor in the blood.

-

So far, he's not bleeding that much though you can see the spot filled with blood but that's it & It's always the same one...
Though, I used to give him daily bones for his teeths. I stopped doing it , it's been like a month and 2 weeks since then and I've noticed that his teeths are no longer 'clean' they're 'dirty' so..I don't know if that can cause the bleeding..
& Thanks everybody for the replys :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Elaine just read this:

What are the symptoms?

Excessive bleeding is the main symptom. Bleeding generally occurs after a wound or surgery. In these cases, the blood simply does not clot in the normal time, and bleeding is extensive. Dog's with Von Willebrand's disease may also develop nosebleeds, or bleeding from the gums. Bleeding may also occur in the stomach or intestine in which case the stool may either have blood in it, or be black and tarry. Some dogs will have blood in their urine. Bleeding into the joints also occurs, which can cause symptoms similar to those of arthritis.

The diagnosis of Von Willebrand's is made through a test, which checks for the level of Von Willebrand's factor in the blood.

-

So far, he's not bleeding that much though you can see the spot filled with blood but that's it & It's always the same one...
Though, I used to give him daily bones for his teeths. I stopped doing it , it's been like a month and 2 weeks since then and I've noticed that his teeths are no longer 'clean' they're 'dirty' so..I don't know if that can cause the bleeding..
& Thanks everybody for the replys :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for the double post..I thot my phone didn't send the reply and I resent it again..:smirk:

@Stosh Wow! Good to know that after all she lived 12 happy healthy years & thanks.:)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I'm not up on my Ehrlichia symptoms, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a bleeding problem with it. You should google it or do a search here. If bleeding isn't a sypmtom of it, you should ask your vet about it and maybe have him tested for VWB soon. There are other bleeding disorders besides VWB too.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Dosage should be 3-5 mg/lb twice a day, aggressive dose technically would be 10 mg/kg twice a day. Initially treat aggressively as the dog will tolerate for 6 weeks. I wouldn't give less than 200 mg twice a day.

I would add some liver support, I like Biochem/Country Life, Liver Support Factors.

A complete blood panel, with blood counts and differential is useful for tracking in the longterm - spreadsheets are helpful here :)

There is the acute phase. If the dog suppresses that - the chronic phase may or may not manifest until years down the road - one vet believes it takes about 5 yrs for the chronic stage to cause severe illness. Hit it hard in the acute phase and hopefully it doesn't make it to the chronic stage.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@LisaT Thanks Lisa. I'll make an APPt with our vet as soon as I get him (this wednesday). Dosage should be 3-5MG/LB?. Wow, He's just getting 100MG. And I also read on one of the articles you've in your signature that it should be 5 to 10mg per day per Kg for 6 weeks. He's just being treated for 20 days. I'll have to look into the liver support and see what I can find here. I'll also do a FBC when I get him.

As I'm writing this Im talking to my mother about what I've been reading (the dosage,liver support,etc) and she isn't listening to me :smirk:.... Thanks god we'll both go to the Vet APPT and she Will listen when talking to the vet about everything I've been reading:smirk::smirk:...

EDIT: The trainer's personal vet did a Full blood exam I don't have yet the results with me I just know that the results were fine. The trainer will give me the FBE this wednesday. But besides the fact that he has Ehrlichia he's just acting/being a crazy puppy..:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.