German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes. I have ducks and my dogs get fresh raw duck eggs routinely. They can eat the shells, but I throw mine out. I just crack it open on their kibble and mix it up good.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
You can do boiled or raw. Shells supply calcium. I use to give my dogs shells on occassion but I have read that when they clean the shells it’s often with bleach. If I get fresh eggs from a friend ‘s or neighbor’s chickens or if I get them fresh at a local farm - I will feed the shells then but not store bought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my own chickens so my girl gets the whole raw egg (shell too). As car2ner said the shell goes right through but I do it so that she gets the shell membrane which is supposedly good for joint health.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
If I give the shell I usually crush it to small pieces. I have not seen anything or just not noticed. Shells can be sharp but I have not had a problem I do not give them to my chihuahua though. That’s good to know about the membrane being good for the joints.

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
I have my own chickens so my girl gets the whole raw egg (shell too). As car2ner said the shell goes right through but I do it so that she gets the shell membrane which is supposedly good for joint health.
Same, in my house.

When I hardboil them, I smash the egg around on the countertop a little bit before feeding to make sure my older GSD doesn't pick out the shell bits - since I want her to get as much benefit from eating the entire membrane as possible.

Other times, I just crack the raw eggs over the food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts