German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy is going to be 6 months - I have been talking with a lot of people and they feel I should wait before I neuter him till he is at least 12-14 months so his bone plates are fully developed and closed. He is humping his 2yr. old GSD sister who is spayed and my feed back from everyone is that it is dominance not sexual with him.
Any options?
Thanks!

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I agree that he should be kept intact (and if you can wait until 24 months, all the better) for a bit until neutering but only if you are confident in your ability to control him. If you don't think you can handle an intact male and keep him from getting away and breeding, it's best to neuter. If you are confident in your abilities and just looking for advice, I'd suggest looking into training classes with a good trainer who can teach you how to train him and control him. A good trainer is worth his/her weight in gold!

As soon as your male tries to mount, I would correct him and move him off/away. Remove him from the room, even, that way he learns if he misbehaves, he gets booted out of the fun. Make sure you exercise him LOTS, but especially mentally. Do lots of training and mental stimulation!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diana- I do have a good trainer - we can handle him thru
out training each week.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm waiting til at least 2 yrs old with Kodee. I want him to fully mature physically, and fill out and get that masculine build before I neuter. IF I neuter at all. I'm still undecided, but more than likely will neuter him after that to prevent possible prostate problems, testicular cancer, etc. JMO.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My vet just told me about recent studies that indicate keeping a male intact for as long as you can is the healthiest. In other words, don't neuter at all if you can control your dog without doing so.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Let the little guy hump, but please do not neuter the dog until two years.

And at two years if the dog is doing fine, forget about neutering.

There is a similar topic that more clearly provides differing opinions and is worth a read.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts