German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Dogtra IQ Plus eCollars with my pups so that they can be off leash with me while running and walking in the woods without worry about them running after something. One of my dogs has thick fur around his neck so that sometimes I don't think the contacts reach his skin, even though I'm positioning it as advised by Larry Krohn, somewhat to the side of the larynx, and quite snug. I hate to have to always test to see if it is making contact, but many times I don't think it is. (No visible reaction to the stim, when usually I get at least a nod or small head turn.) I know the collar is on and working because it works on vibrate. I can also turn it up very high and then I get a small reaction. I usually then try to adjust the fit, not making it tighter because it is already so tight that my fingers will not easily go under the band, but by moving the hair out of the way of the contacts. Sometimes this works, but other times I have to keep adjusting. This is not good because I cannot depend on what level will work to simulate the dog. I don't want to turn it up real high, thinking it necessary to make contact, and then have it make contact and zap the dog inappropriately.

The other dog doesn't have these issues with a different collar, but identical brand. Her fur is a little shorter and not quite as thick, so I think the fur is the problem. I just don't know what to do about it. Has anyone else had similar issue who can offer some suggestions?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
It can be a bit of a struggle to get consistent contact on a dog with a really thick coat. My younger GSD is the first one I had to get different contact points for.

I use the next size up from what come standard on a Dogtra. I think his contacts are the 3/4 inch ones. A bungee collar can also help although I haven't needed one for mine. I know people with longer coated dogs who use bungee strap and the longer contact points.

Gundog supply sells the contact points.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I love this collar: https://k9tacticalgear.com/collections/tactical-nylon-collars/products/quick-elastic-e-collar-holder, along with the largest contacts. Until I got this collar and the larger contacts it was always a crap shoot.
Ooooh I like this! I have not seen this before and I've shopped K9 Tactical a few times! The black part is an elastic portion of the collar strap?

My boy really does need a new strap I just haven't had an extra 30-40 bucks to dump on something

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Oh bleh. It won't work.

"Dogtra Arc and Dogtra 1900s are not fully compatible with this collar. The shape of these collars causes the Quick Elastic E-Collar Holder to "flip" causing the contact points to lose contact with the dog's neck. The Arc collar is smaller and is more likely to work, but the 1900s can have issues. "

I use a 1900

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for this thread! I have a dogtra IQ+ that has been collecting dust as I ran into the same problem as @techinstructor. I don't think the contact points are able to penetrate his fur so it is a crap shoot if it is going to work or not. I felt like I had to darn hear strangle him with the collar for it to work....so tried it once and stopped as I wasn't comfortable with that. Thanks so much for the insight here. Now that Jax is older I'd like to try again so that he can romp off leash at times. I am currently looking at this website:

https://dg.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/23399/Contact-Points-.html (They have a sale running ATM btw....so if you need longer contacts now is a great time!)

So Jax has a short but very thick coat. Any advice on what length contact points I should get? Was looking at the 1" ones to be on the safe side but would love input from someone who has some experience before I order.

Will also be looking into the collar suggested by @ausdland Thanks!!

Pic below of Jax for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
My wife bought a Dogtra 2300 ncp to use with Ranger and could get it to work, but it was a struggle some times. Ranger being a coatie with super dense hair around his neck made getting contact a chore at times. I tried my ET300 which has a smaller receiver and had better luck, however keeping the hair out of the tiny buckle while fastening it is a pita. I've been contemplating using bungee like Cowboysgirl posted as see if that helps. I could see something like this helping to apply pressure more consistently.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I’ve never had problems with a Dogtra unless it was too loose or in the wrong position or not fully charged. Charge it daily. Take it off the charger the minute it turns green.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I think any ecollar not tight enough will have risk not working. I have found out winter coats make a difference to even in a dog with not long fur. Also being to concerned about the tightness leads to it not working. I find with winter coats in the winter time with no room for error- I had found out. It was colder weather I remember when max blew through the ecollar after a pack of deer when we were in woods near the house and left me and Luna in the dust. At first I thought it was low battery then realized his collar was not tight it could of been either one of those but mine beeps red when it needs to be charged. Those collars look nice with the stretch.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I think any ecollar not tight enough will have risk not working. I have found out winter coats make a difference to even in a dog with not long fur. Also being to concerned about the tightness leads to it not working. I find with winter coats in the winter time with no room for error- I had found out. It was colder weather I remember when max blew through the ecollar after a pack of deer when we were in woods near the house and left me and Luna in the dust. At first I thought it was low battery then realized his collar was not tight it could of been either one of those but mine beeps red when it needs to be charged. Those collars look nice with the stretch.
Winter coats plus some dogs can have ridiculously dense coats, this is Ranger. Our Dogtra performs perfectly and so does our educator on other dogs, getting consistent contact using either with him has its challenges. I think the thinner collar on the et300 displaces a bit less hair making it a little easier to get tight, but then I find getting the hair out of the smaller buckle as real pain. It's a toss up really.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Winter coats plus some dogs can have ridiculously dense coats, this is Ranger. Our Dogtra performs perfectly and so does our educator on other dogs, getting consistent contact using either with him has its challenges. I think the thinner collar on the et300 displaces a bit less hair making it a little easier to get tight, but then I find getting the hair out of the smaller buckle as real pain. It's a toss up really.
I have a dogtra arc with longer Prong also -My first collar. I dusted it off also and finally got used to using that one to. I do have to put them both on tight and can’t be laxed. The price for safe freedom. I like the dogtra and garmin both. The dogtra toggle switch is a bit sensitive and I am sure to be careful with this.
Yes they can some really thick coats. Mine are still shedding and not sure where all this fur is coming from. Even wet fur and then air dried with salt water adds some extra body. Lol!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Waited too long to edit. Please disregard the link in my previous post. Found them cheaper on Amazon!

Dogtra sells them for $4.49 each, though you may have to pay shipping.

https://www.dogtra.com/products/dogtra-parts

The dogtrainer store that TheCowboysgirl linked has them at the same price.

I like the webbing/elastic collar, though the price seems a little high. I might try to make one as I think I have all the components except for the buckle and I can get a quick release cobra buckle for a little over $10. I do like the idea and I think the webbing would be more comfortable for the dog that those vinyl one.

I'm going to try the longer contacts first. I'm going to start with 3/4" and if that doesn't work I can then try 1". Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has had these issues.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Ooooh I like this! I have not seen this before and I've shopped K9 Tactical a few times! The black part is an elastic portion of the collar strap?

My boy really does need a new strap I just haven't had an extra 30-40 bucks to dump on something
Yes, short elastic section that keeps it snug but will expand with heavy breathing.
K9 Tach are awesome, nice ppl small family business, they make most of what they sell and I love the Defender harness too.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for this thread! I have a dogtra IQ+ that has been collecting dust as I ran into the same problem as @techinstructor. I don't think the contact points are able to penetrate his fur so it is a crap shoot if it is going to work or not. I felt like I had to darn hear strangle him with the collar for it to work....so tried it once and stopped as I wasn't comfortable with that. Thanks so much for the insight here. Now that Jax is older I'd like to try again so that he can romp off leash at times. I am currently looking at this website:

https://dg.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/23399/Contact-Points-.html (They have a sale running ATM btw....so if you need longer contacts now is a great time!)

So Jax has a short but very thick coat. Any advice on what length contact points I should get? Was looking at the 1" ones to be on the safe side but would love input from someone who has some experience before I order.

Will also be looking into the collar suggested by @ausdland Thanks!!

Pic below of Jax for reference.
The largest contact points you can get. Beautiful dog!

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
i was also going to mention the toggle switch on the remote, that selects which channel to use. Use the vibration mode to check which one is working, then check them make sure you haven’t accidentally switched channels.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Yes, short elastic section that keeps it snug but will expand with heavy breathing.
K9 Tach are awesome, nice ppl small family business, they make most of what they sell and I love the Defender harness too.
I like them too. Used to be the only place I could get the yellow foam ball on a leather strap which my dog is nuts for. Now Leerburg sells them but I feel like a traitor to buy it from Leerburg :(

I like that harness but I don't know why they attach the girth strap so far forward on so many harnesses? I got obsessed with this when trying to find a tracking harness that would not pinch my dog in the arm pits. He is like a mile long and every harness I tried rode up in his armpits. I finally found one that fits him. I really like the look of the Julius K9 Mantrailing harness for him but it is a little wishy washy whether it is allowed in AKC competition and I don't want to train in a harness I can't compete in or risk being told I can't go into the test in the harness he is used to, so I've never tried it

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I like them too. Used to be the only place I could get the yellow foam ball on a leather strap which my dog is nuts for. Now Leerburg sells them but I feel like a traitor to buy it from Leerburg :(

I like that harness but I don't know why they attach the girth strap so far forward on so many harnesses? I got obsessed with this when trying to find a tracking harness that would not pinch my dog in the arm pits. He is like a mile long and every harness I tried rode up in his armpits. I finally found one that fits him. I really like the look of the Julius K9 Mantrailing harness for him but it is a little wishy washy whether it is allowed in AKC competition and I don't want to train in a harness I can't compete in or risk being told I can't go into the test in the harness he is used to, so I've never tried it

1 - 20 of 37 Posts